_Duel_: missing sound effect on 5.1-channel tracks?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Douglas Bailey, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. Something for _Duel_ fans to keep in mind: according to this post on the
    Home Theater Forum...

    <http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=2343273>

    ....the DVD of _Duel_, finally given a full release this week, is missing an
    important sound effect in the climactic scene on both the Dolby Digital and
    DTS 5.1-channel remix tracks.

    (According to the poster, the effect is present on the original mono
    soundtrack, which is also included on the DVD. And it's mentioned by
    Spielberg in the supplements, which makes it all the more surprising that
    the remixers didn't think to check it.)

    It's a pity this error wasn't caught during all the time this disc was held
    back from the market. I wonder if Universal will have to offer a trade-in
    replacement program for this disc, as they did for _Jurassic Park_'s DTS
    disc... and the _Back to the Future_ set... and _Monty Python's The Meaning
    of Life_... *sigh*.

    doug

    --
    "I am mesmerised by my own beat like a heartbeat..."
    --Wire

    Douglas Bailey, Aug 19, 2004

  2. On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:51:15 -0400, Douglas Bailey
    <> wrote:

    >Something for _Duel_ fans to keep in mind: according to this post on the
    >Home Theater Forum...
    >
    > <http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=2343273>
    >
    >...the DVD of _Duel_, finally given a full release this week, is missing an
    >important sound effect in the climactic scene on both the Dolby Digital and
    >DTS 5.1-channel remix tracks.
    >
    >(According to the poster, the effect is present on the original mono
    >soundtrack, which is also included on the DVD. And it's mentioned by
    >Spielberg in the supplements, which makes it all the more surprising that
    >the remixers didn't think to check it.)
    >
    >It's a pity this error wasn't caught during all the time this disc was held
    >back from the market. I wonder if Universal will have to offer a trade-in
    >replacement program for this disc, as they did for _Jurassic Park_'s DTS
    >disc... and the _Back to the Future_ set... and _Monty Python's The Meaning
    >of Life_... *sigh*.
    >
    >doug

    So it is the same release as the one I got last year during the
    two-day "release" of the film from Amazon. It's interesting to note
    that one suggestion for why the release was cancelled then was due to
    this same missing effect.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 19, 2004

  3. Douglas Bailey

    Poisonmail Guest

    << I wonder if Universal will have to offer a trade-in replacement program for
    this disc >>

    Since it has the mono soundtrack, I doubt it.

    I've tried vainly to understand the point of remixing these movies to 5.1,
    especially if we can't do it right, but as long as I get the real sound I don't
    care what they put on the other tracks. I can understand being pissed about it,
    though, especially since it's a rather famous part of the movie.

    n.

    http://www.dusty-books.com

    Poisonmail, Aug 19, 2004