    It could be a DNS issue or something else.

    What would be an appropriate troubleshooting sequence?

    TIA, Eugene

    Eugene F., Feb 1, 2006

  2. Try:

    1. Ping 216.109.112.135

    2. Ping yahoo.com.

    3. If #1 does not work, the problem is routing - make sure your router's
    internal IP is listed as your default gateway, and make sure the router is
    not configured to block your machine.

    4. If #1 works and #2 does not, the problem is likely DNS. Try entering
    the IP of your router for DNS. If that doesn't work, determine the IP of
    your ISP's DNS server and use that.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Feb 3, 2006

  3. Doug,

    Thank you very much for the reply.

    I added router IP (192.168.1.1) to the DNS server list and it did the job.
    So I have working static IP now.

    Still do not know why dynamic setup stopped working though.

    Eugene

    Eugene Fridman, Feb 6, 2006
  4. I confess that I have a bad attitude toward DHCP on small networks. As a
    general rule I recommend that small networks where DHCP services are
    provided by low end routers or ICS use static addresses for the following
    reasons:

    1. The rudimentary DHCP services provided by ICS and bottom end Internet
    routers are primarily useful only if one or both of the following are true:

    a. You have a large number of machines on the network such that manual
    configuration is truly burdensome.

    b. You have laptops or other machines which will frequently be moved to
    another network where they need different settings. Note that with XP you
    can have an alternate static configuration for use when DHCP is not
    available. Also, there is nothing to prevent you from providing DHCP on a
    small network, but then configuring most of the machines with static
    addresses.

    2. Many people have spent a great deal of time troubleshooting DHCP issues
    on small networks where relying on DHCP provides little benefit and
    unnecessarily creates a single point of failure which could easily be
    avoided with static addressing.

    3. With static addresses you can reliably connect to another machine by
    using \\<IPaddress>. You don't have to memorize the addresses. You can
    create lmhosts files which will map the computer names to their static
    addresses; and these mappings can be loaded into memory upon machine
    startup. You can also create desktop shortcuts to them. If you were to do
    this, then you could still connect to shared resources even if DHCP, bowser
    service, and broadcasts all failed. Note that DHCP, bowser service, and
    broadcasts are all broadcast based or initiated such that they are prone to
    occasional failure even on perfectly healthy networks.

    4. For the reasons stated in #3, even on large networks with sophisticated
    DHCP servers, machines providing shared files or printers are typically
    configured with static addresses.

    Disclaimer: This is not an original idea - it was common practice prior to
    APIPA, ICS and cheap DHCP devices. I do not think that it is a waste of
    time to troubleshoot small network DHCP issues; but there have been too many
    cases where DHCP failure has crippled such networks unnecessarily.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Eugene Fridman" <> wrote in message
    > Doug,
    >
    > Thank you very much for the reply.
    >
    > I added router IP (192.168.1.1) to the DNS server list and it did the job.
    > So I have working static IP now.
    >
    > Still do not know why dynamic setup stopped working though.
    >
    > Eugene

    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <> wrote in

    message

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Feb 8, 2006
  5. Eugene F.

    Eugene F. Guest

    Doug,

    <<< Note that with XP you can have an alternate static configuration
    for use when DHCP is not available. >>>

    Yes, I've done this on my "office" laptop. Strangely enough this
    laptop gets dynamic IP just fine from the same Linksys router that
    Windows'98SE desktop has problems with.

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Eugene

    Eugene F., Feb 8, 2006