    my 7year-old IBM 300GE. reinstalled 98se, now,i only have choice of 2 or 16
    color. how do i get 256 color. would appreciate any help.

    , Nov 3, 2004

  2. T-Bone Guest

    <> wrote
    > i am a computer novice. a friend just stripped, & refomatted the harddrive

    on
    > my 7year-old IBM 300GE. reinstalled 98se, now,i only have choice of 2 or

    16
    > color. how do i get 256 color. would appreciate any help.

    A multi-multiposting newb, great.

    T-Bone, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Jason Guest

    Steve,

    Three suggestions:

    1. Reply to the right newsgroup (this is for MCDST, which predominantly
    answers questions regarding 2000 and XP, not 98SE)
    2. Don't post the same message twice (aka multi-posting)
    3. If you don't want to spend money on a tech and want to learn yourself,
    try learning instead of having stuff spoonfed. Like the other poster said,
    showing you, or telling you a quick answer will not teach you about IT
    stuff. (Gotta learn how to troubleshoot and resolve problems on your own.
    A quick google searach on Win98SE hardware problems brings literally
    thousands of return hits.)

    Jason, Nov 3, 2004
  4. In other words Steve...they don't know!

    Brighton Rocks, Nov 5, 2004
  5. w00t Guest

    We all have to start somewhere.

    Steve,
    It seems like you need to install the drivers for the
    card. Try looking at the vendor's site.
    Hope you know who made the Card.

    w00t, Nov 5, 2004
  6. Jason Guest

    Actually...if you look at his first post, I replied back asking why he is
    even bothering with that old a system. I suggested to resolve the problem
    by loosening the purse strings and buying the components for a new system
    that is far more user friendly to put together than the ancient systems
    requiring driver installations for each component that did not match the
    equivalent of the HCL in 2000 and higher. Such literate posts!

    Also...if you must start somewhere, then the logical place to start would be
    an MCP forum, or even possibly an A+ forum, not the MCDST forum. I guess
    moving past a knee jerk instant "I want it now" kind of thought is too high
    an expectation. Which is blatantly evident from the responses to my post.

    Of course we know how to fix these problems...but rather than give you a
    quick fix like "install the vxd driver from your 98se CD", we would rather
    you figure out that there is a world of resources to peruse and that
    perusing those resources will answer more questions than most would even
    know how to post.

    Brighton, since you are the new "whiz" here....explain a direct cable
    connection conflict between a Win 9x system and XP Pro. What would prevent
    these two systems from connecting assuming all hardware is functional? Your
    test begins now...24 hours to answer.

    Jason, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Oh so sorry...my time seems to have expired. Please Sir can I have an
    extention as it was the weekend and I HAVE A LIFE!!!!

    Sigh, however, if I must...in order to help you find the answer to your
    problem, I suggest that you go to www.google.com and use the resources that
    are available to you on the wonderful web. Apologies for being what you
    might assume to be an unhelpful dickhead - but this is for your own good.

    Good luck champ...knock 'em dead!

    Brighton Rocks, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Jason Guest

    All, sweet brilliance! I stand in the presence of greatness. I sir, did
    not need to utlize the wonderful resource you suggest as I already know the
    answer, but your use of other posters methodology disguises your ignorance
    of the reasons for doing so. Had you done a google search on the subject
    you would have found very little helpful information. Instead, a
    knowledgeable person been doing this, they would have suggested the MS
    knowledge base. My point has been proven, now begone with the likes of you
    and learn your resources before trying to slam those with clearly superior
    intelligence, experience, knowledge, and, dare I say, "class"?

    Not only were you unhelpful, but you demonstrated your ignorance of online
    resource utilization and you have ultimately increased your organizations
    TCO had this been a true exercise. Thank you sir, and good day.

    > Oh so sorry...my time seems to have expired. Please Sir can I have an
    > extention as it was the weekend and I HAVE A LIFE!!!!
    >
    > Sigh, however, if I must...in order to help you find the answer to your
    > problem, I suggest that you go to www.google.com and use the resources

    that
    > are available to you on the wonderful web. Apologies for being what you
    > might assume to be an unhelpful dickhead - but this is for your own good.
    >
    > Good luck champ...knock 'em dead!
    >
    > "Jason" wrote:
    >
    > > Actually...if you look at his first post, I replied back asking why he

    is
    > > even bothering with that old a system. I suggested to resolve the

    problem
    > > by loosening the purse strings and buying the components for a new

    system
    > > that is far more user friendly to put together than the ancient systems
    > > requiring driver installations for each component that did not match the
    > > equivalent of the HCL in 2000 and higher. Such literate posts!
    > >
    > > Also...if you must start somewhere, then the logical place to start

    would be
    > > an MCP forum, or even possibly an A+ forum, not the MCDST forum. I

    guess
    > > moving past a knee jerk instant "I want it now" kind of thought is too

    high
    > > an expectation. Which is blatantly evident from the responses to my

    post.

    > > Of course we know how to fix these problems...but rather than give you a
    > > quick fix like "install the vxd driver from your 98se CD", we would

    rather
    > > you figure out that there is a world of resources to peruse and that
    > > perusing those resources will answer more questions than most would even
    > > know how to post.
    > >
    > > Brighton, since you are the new "whiz" here....explain a direct cable
    > > connection conflict between a Win 9x system and XP Pro. What would

    prevent
    > > these two systems from connecting assuming all hardware is functional?

    Your
    > > test begins now...24 hours to answer.
    > >
    > > "Brighton Rocks" <> wrote in

    message

    Jason, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Thank you Thank you Thank you - your eye for brilliance is incredibly sharp.
    Your compliment is noted and much appreciated.

    Now away with you peasant! Don't you have some goon work to be doing?

    Brighton Rocks, Nov 9, 2004
  10. F. Wynne Guest

    Download drivers for your graphics card from the
    manufacturer--looks like you need an update on those
    drivers. After install, go into your graphics properties
    and change the resolution.

    F. Wynne, Nov 10, 2004