9800 pro Vs 6600GT?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    The 6600GT seems like a good buy right about now. I have a friend who has
    a GF2 (something, GTS I think) and is asking about new gfx cards. I am
    thinking 6600GT AGP as a good buy.

    On Nvidias website it says the 6600GT has a bandwidth of 14.4GB/sec compared
    to my 9800pro at 24GB/sec The noticeable difference is the 9800pro 256 bit
    interface Vs the 6600GTs 128bit interface.

    The preferred store to purchase from is selling the 9800pro for $50 less
    than the 6600GT.

    The card will be brought to play Half life 2.
    Does the 6xxx series have the same trouble as the FX series in HL2? I
    thought not but ya never know.

    Toms hardware doesn't list the 6600 in their tests (unless I'm looking at
    the wrong chart).

    Any opinions on real world performance?

    cowboyz, Dec 9, 2004

  2. On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:10:42 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >The 6600GT seems like a good buy right about now. I have a friend who has
    >a GF2 (something, GTS I think) and is asking about new gfx cards. I am
    >thinking 6600GT AGP as a good buy.
    >
    >On Nvidias website it says the 6600GT has a bandwidth of 14.4GB/sec compared
    >to my 9800pro at 24GB/sec The noticeable difference is the 9800pro 256 bit
    >interface Vs the 6600GTs 128bit interface.
    >
    >The preferred store to purchase from is selling the 9800pro for $50 less
    >than the 6600GT.

    Some Pro models are Not Pro at all, check the specks with a magnifying glass.

    >The card will be brought to play Half life 2.
    >Does the 6xxx series have the same trouble as the FX series in HL2? I
    >thought not but ya never know.

    No

    >Toms hardware doesn't list the 6600 in their tests (unless I'm looking at
    >the wrong chart).

    I have seen a few reviews and comparisons..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 10, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    JohnO Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > The 6600GT seems like a good buy right about now. I have a friend who

    has
    > a GF2 (something, GTS I think) and is asking about new gfx cards. I am
    > thinking 6600GT AGP as a good buy.
    >
    > On Nvidias website it says the 6600GT has a bandwidth of 14.4GB/sec

    compared
    > to my 9800pro at 24GB/sec The noticeable difference is the 9800pro 256

    bit
    > interface Vs the 6600GTs 128bit interface.
    >
    > The preferred store to purchase from is selling the 9800pro for $50 less
    > than the 6600GT.
    >
    > The card will be brought to play Half life 2.
    > Does the 6xxx series have the same trouble as the FX series in HL2? I
    > thought not but ya never know.
    >
    > Toms hardware doesn't list the 6600 in their tests (unless I'm looking at
    > the wrong chart).
    >

    > Any opinions on real world performance?

    Actually there is a comparison of the 6600 AGP vs the 9800 pro on Toms:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/index.html

    There's a few other articles on the 6600 on the site.

    Note that the 6600 PCI-e version is quite a lot cheaper still iof you have a
    compatible mobo.
    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...=1017&osCsid=c345ee66e08778f441801f81d7ba584b

    Now that is a lot of bang for your buck!

    JohnO, Dec 10, 2004
  4. cowboyz

    Jackson Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > Toms hardware doesn't list the 6600 in their tests (unless I'm looking at
    > the wrong chart).

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/index.html

    Toms Hardware link to 6600GT AGP review. Card looks fast, almost as fast as
    the 6800.

    Jackson.

    Jackson, Dec 10, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> The 6600GT seems like a good buy right about now. I have a friend who

    > has
    >> a GF2 (something, GTS I think) and is asking about new gfx cards. I am
    >> thinking 6600GT AGP as a good buy.
    >>
    >> On Nvidias website it says the 6600GT has a bandwidth of 14.4GB/sec

    > compared
    >> to my 9800pro at 24GB/sec The noticeable difference is the 9800pro 256

    > bit
    >> interface Vs the 6600GTs 128bit interface.
    >>
    >> The preferred store to purchase from is selling the 9800pro for $50 less
    >> than the 6600GT.
    >>
    >> The card will be brought to play Half life 2.
    >> Does the 6xxx series have the same trouble as the FX series in HL2? I
    >> thought not but ya never know.
    >>
    >> Toms hardware doesn't list the 6600 in their tests (unless I'm looking at
    >> the wrong chart).
    >>

    >> Any opinions on real world performance?
    >>

    > Actually there is a comparison of the 6600 AGP vs the 9800 pro on Toms:
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/index.html
    >
    > There's a few other articles on the 6600 on the site.

    Thanks. That makes a little interesting reading. Interesting to note that
    on the 3dmark05 test they score the 9800pro 200 marks *lower* than I get on
    my 9800pro with my 2100+. I thought it would be higher.

    Guess the 6600GT still has shader model 3.0 support so for the extra $50 it
    could be worth it. I was actually hoping the gap would be bigger.

    > Note that the 6600 PCI-e version is quite a lot cheaper still iof you have
    > compatible mobo.
    > http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/produc...=1017&osCsid=c345ee66e08778f441801f81d7ba584b
    >
    > Now that is a lot of bang for your buck!

    That is damn amazing. I wonder if it would be worth convincing him to
    change his board as well.... Certainly looks tempting.

    cowboyz, Dec 10, 2004
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:10:42 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>The 6600GT seems like a good buy right about now. I have a friend who
    >>has
    >>a GF2 (something, GTS I think) and is asking about new gfx cards. I am
    >>thinking 6600GT AGP as a good buy.
    >>
    >>On Nvidias website it says the 6600GT has a bandwidth of 14.4GB/sec
    >>compared
    >>to my 9800pro at 24GB/sec The noticeable difference is the 9800pro 256
    >>bit
    >>interface Vs the 6600GTs 128bit interface.
    >>
    >>The preferred store to purchase from is selling the 9800pro for $50 less
    >>than the 6600GT.

    > Some Pro models are Not Pro at all, check the specks with a magnifying
    > glass.

    Blah blah. We do know what we are buying.

    >>The card will be brought to play Half life 2.
    >>Does the 6xxx series have the same trouble as the FX series in HL2? I
    >>thought not but ya never know.

    > No

    Your "no" would hold more water if it wasn't coming from you. But then
    again, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

    >>Toms hardware doesn't list the 6600 in their tests (unless I'm looking at
    >>the wrong chart).

    > I have seen a few reviews and comparisons..

    And thanks for posting a link to them.

    your a dickwad.

    cowboyz, Dec 10, 2004
  7. On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:39:02 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >"Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:10:42 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The 6600GT seems like a good buy right about now. I have a friend who
    >>>has
    >>>a GF2 (something, GTS I think) and is asking about new gfx cards. I am
    >>>thinking 6600GT AGP as a good buy.
    >>>
    >>>On Nvidias website it says the 6600GT has a bandwidth of 14.4GB/sec
    >>>compared
    >>>to my 9800pro at 24GB/sec The noticeable difference is the 9800pro 256
    >>>bit
    >>>interface Vs the 6600GTs 128bit interface.
    >>>
    >>>The preferred store to purchase from is selling the 9800pro for $50 less
    >>>than the 6600GT.

    >> Some Pro models are Not Pro at all, check the specks with a magnifying
    >> glass.

    >Blah blah. We do know what we are buying.
    >>
    >>>The card will be brought to play Half life 2.
    >>>Does the 6xxx series have the same trouble as the FX series in HL2? I
    >>>thought not but ya never know.

    >> No
    >>

    >Your "no" would hold more water if it wasn't coming from you. But then
    >again, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    >

    >>>Toms hardware doesn't list the 6600 in their tests (unless I'm looking at
    >>>the wrong chart).

    >> I have seen a few reviews and comparisons..
    >>

    >And thanks for posting a link to them.
    >
    >your a dickwad.

    No I am a Person, that is more than I can say of you...

    A nasty little bully, you are now back into my Kill file, were you will belong
    for ever.

    Or maybe you are just mentally sick..?

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 10, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    >>your a dickwad.
    >>

    > No I am a Person, that is more than I can say of you...
    >
    > A nasty little bully, you are now back into my Kill file, were you will
    > belong
    > for ever.

    You keep threatening, and I keep trying but somehow I never make it into
    your killfile. It is a goal of mine that will hopefully be realised soon.
    It can't be that hard. I don't change my nick. Just put cowboyz into the
    killfile. It should work. Please do it now. Would you like me to send you
    a map of where the b,c,o,w,y and z is on your keyboard?

    > Or maybe you are just mentally sick..?

    maybe, Years of reading your bullshit drives a man that way.

    cowboyz, Dec 10, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:14:35 +1300, <> says...
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:39:02 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message

    > >> Some Pro models are Not Pro at all, check the specks with a magnifying
    > >> glass.

    > >Blah blah. We do know what we are buying.

    > >> No
    > >>

    > >Your "no" would hold more water if it wasn't coming from you. But then
    > >again, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

    > >> I have seen a few reviews and comparisons..
    > >>

    > >And thanks for posting a link to them.
    > >
    > >your a dickwad.
    > >

    > No I am a Person, that is more than I can say of you...
    >
    > A nasty little bully, you are now back into my Kill file, were you will belong
    > for ever.
    >
    > Or maybe you are just mentally sick..?

    Cut the bull Roger, we all klnow you are an old fart in Kapiti who should
    be in a rest home

    Adder, Dec 11, 2004
  10. cowboyz

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:41:27 +1300, Adder <> wrote:

    >Cut the bull Roger, we all klnow you are an old fart in Kapiti who should
    >be in a rest home

    Oh, the poor staff and other patients :-( Have you no mercy!
    ;-)

    Invisible, Dec 11, 2004