    HDD if I can avoid it.

    Ideas please.
    TJ

    TJ, Dec 20, 2004

  2. TJ

    Ingeborg Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in news:1103556702.135911.165660
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > No surprise perhaps when I transferred my HDD to a new MSI AMD board,
    > the board works OK but Win 98 won't boot. Nor does Suse Linux 9.1
    > proceed to install itself from a bootable CD ROM onto the HDD.
    >
    > I don't really want to FDISK and install Win 98 from scratch on the
    > HDD if I can avoid it.
    >
    > Ideas please.
    > TJ

    What happens when you try?

    Ingeborg, Dec 20, 2004

  3. TJ

    h/p/a/v/c Guest

    FDISK /MBR ??

    greetz!

    h/p/a/v/c, Dec 20, 2004
  4. TJ

    °Mike° Guest

    Another post with a overabundance of information.
    Why would you say "no surprise"?

    On 20 Dec 2004 07:31:42 -0800, in
    <>
    TJ scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2004
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    The situation has evolved to where the drive will boot up to different
    degrees before stopping. Which worries me even more as this could mean
    the board or processor is unstable. Although I did manage to run Tuff
    Test Lite through on DOS and the video tests and all else passed.

    Transferring a hard drive from one mobo to another doesn't necessarily
    mean the registry gets so screwed up, or cans check and back up that
    you can't put the drive back where you took it from. But I previously
    had this drive on a Pentium 2 PC before trying it on this (slow) 700
    AMD Duron MSI board. which I will upgrade to a 2400 Sempron sometime
    soon.

    As it happens the 700 Duron shows a clock speed of 933MHZ on start up
    Something else which makes me thing the board or CPU might be unstable.

    Thanks for any help.
    TJ

    TJ, Dec 20, 2004
  6. TJ

    Ron Martell Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote:

    >No surprise perhaps when I transferred my HDD to a new MSI AMD board,
    >the board works OK but Win 98 won't boot. Nor does Suse Linux 9.1
    >proceed to install itself from a bootable CD ROM onto the HDD.
    >
    >I don't really want to FDISK and install Win 98 from scratch on the
    >HDD if I can avoid it.
    >
    >Ideas please.
    >TJ

    Can you boot into Safe Mode?

    If so then use Start - Run - REGEDIT.
    Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section
    Locate the Enum folder and select it.
    Use File - Save to save the contents to a .reg file on your desktop or
    in an easily-locatable folder
    Use Edit - Delete to delete the enter Enum folder
    Exit REGEDIT, shut down and restart the computer normally,

    It will now detect and load the appropriate drivers, configuration
    settings, etc. for your new motherboard.

    You will probably need the drivers CD that came with your new
    motherboard and it will probably take several restarts to finish
    detecting and installing the various hardware components.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 20, 2004
  7. TJ

    hawhaw Guest

    Its' because the new board requires different chipset drivers,
    controllers...etc, your hdd is full of differnt boot settings which are
    looking for or trying to use the old boards stuff.

    hawhaw, Dec 20, 2004
  8. TJ

    Noel Paton Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Another post with a overabundance of information.
    > Why would you say "no surprise"?

    Because every previously-installed driver is the wrong one - and Win9x tends
    to get upset at that point, refusing to go any further.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

    Noel Paton, Dec 20, 2004
  9. TJ

    Noel Paton Guest

    Try booting to Safe Mode - if that works, then open Regedit, and remove the
    entire contents of the HKDD\Config Manager\Enum branch
    Reboot to Normal Mode, and Windows should reinstall everything (with any
    luck!! - make sure you have your CD handy!!!)

    Noel Paton, Dec 20, 2004