98 and xp dual booting, and many visible primary partitions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I have read that to have 98 and xp dual booting - or any version of
    windows - you install the old then the new. I've also heard of there
    being problems with having multiple visible primary partitions.

    I currently have XP on an NTFS partition. As an experiment, I tried
    installing 98 without first removing XP. It worked. It detected an
    NTFS partition, created a new primary FAT32 partition, formatted it,
    installed Win 98 on it, and made it active.

    So I have 2 visible primary partitions. I choosse which to boot from by
    making it active - which can be done through PMagic or Fdisk and maybe
    Diskpart.exe in XP

    Since that all worked. I tried creating another visible primary
    partition - this time in partition magic (with nothing on it), that
    worked fine. So now I have 3 primary partitions.

    So isn't it strange, that I have had no problems whatsoever with that
    method, and yet everybody says to never install 98 after XP.

    I'm sure I used to have to make primary partitions hidden, but here
    strangely, I seem to be able to have many visible primary partitions.
    WHat's the point of making primary partitions hidden if even Win 98SE
    can handle it?!

    And why all the fuss about having to install the old then the new - 98
    then XP?
    If I am going against the grain, howcome no damage is being done?

    , Dec 29, 2004

  2. Eric Gisin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have read that to have 98 and xp dual booting - or any version of
    > windows - you install the old then the new. I've also heard of there
    > being problems with having multiple visible primary partitions.

    Only if there is more than one FAT primary and you boot Win 98. Apparently ME
    has no problems.

    > I currently have XP on an NTFS partition. As an experiment, I tried
    > installing 98 without first removing XP. It worked. It detected an
    > NTFS partition, created a new primary FAT32 partition, formatted it,
    > installed Win 98 on it, and made it active.
    >
    > So I have 2 visible primary partitions. I choosse which to boot from by
    > making it active - which can be done through PMagic or Fdisk and maybe
    > Diskpart.exe in XP

    MBRwiz runs under XP and is faster than diskpart: mbr.bigr.net

    > Since that all worked. I tried creating another visible primary
    > partition - this time in partition magic (with nothing on it), that
    > worked fine. So now I have 3 primary partitions.

    Is new one NTFS or FAT32?

    > So isn't it strange, that I have had no problems whatsoever with that
    > method, and yet everybody says to never install 98 after XP.
    >
    > I'm sure I used to have to make primary partitions hidden, but here
    > strangely, I seem to be able to have many visible primary partitions.
    > WHat's the point of making primary partitions hidden if even Win 98SE
    > can handle it?!

    I always saw problems with Win 95/98 and multiple primaries, but that was years
    ago. Maybe they fixed it in SE.

    > And why all the fuss about having to install the old then the new - 98
    > then XP?
    > If I am going against the grain, howcome no damage is being done?

    You only need to do it this way if you want ntldr's to multiboot. Boot managers
    are much more flexible.

    I always install Win 2K/XP by creating an active NTFS partition, then boot the
    CD. This way it installs to C:

    Eric Gisin, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Guest

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I have read that to have 98 and xp dual booting - or any version of
    > > windows - you install the old then the new. I've also heard of

    there
    > > being problems with having multiple visible primary partitions.
    > >

    > Only if there is more than one FAT primary and you boot Win 98.

    Apparently ME
    > has no problems.

    I tried that with win 98 SE. no problems.

    > > I currently have XP on an NTFS partition. As an experiment, I

    tried
    > > installing 98 without first removing XP. It worked. It detected an
    > > NTFS partition, created a new primary FAT32 partition, formatted

    it,
    > > installed Win 98 on it, and made it active.
    > >
    > > So I have 2 visible primary partitions. I choosse which to boot

    from by
    > > making it active - which can be done through PMagic or Fdisk and

    maybe
    > > Diskpart.exe in XP
    > >

    > MBRwiz runs under XP and is faster than diskpart: mbr.bigr.net
    >
    > > Since that all worked. I tried creating another visible primary
    > > partition - this time in partition magic (with nothing on it), that
    > > worked fine. So now I have 3 primary partitions.
    > >

    > Is new one NTFS or FAT32?

    FAT32 So it's interesting that there are no problems.

    <snip>

    , Dec 29, 2004
  4. Andy Lee Guest

    On 29 Dec 2004 11:32:39 -0800, wrote:

    >I have read that to have 98 and xp dual booting - or any version of
    >windows - you install the old then the new. I've also heard of there
    >being problems with having multiple visible primary partitions.
    >
    >I currently have XP on an NTFS partition. As an experiment, I tried
    >installing 98 without first removing XP. It worked. It detected an
    >NTFS partition, created a new primary FAT32 partition, formatted it,
    >installed Win 98 on it, and made it active.
    >
    >So I have 2 visible primary partitions. I choosse which to boot from by
    >making it active - which can be done through PMagic or Fdisk and maybe
    >Diskpart.exe in XP
    >
    >Since that all worked. I tried creating another visible primary
    >partition - this time in partition magic (with nothing on it), that
    >worked fine. So now I have 3 primary partitions.
    >
    >So isn't it strange, that I have had no problems whatsoever with that
    >method, and yet everybody says to never install 98 after XP.

    The main reason is by doing it the recommended way XP will detect
    earlier versions of Win and DOS and install it's own boot manager
    allowing you to choose which OS to boot from a simple startup. There
    are other ways including the way you have discovered but for
    simplicities sake and no frigging around with partition manages the
    old first routine is the most straight forward to the uninitiated. I
    personally use OS Loader 2000 which copes with multiple partitions and
    OS's

    >I'm sure I used to have to make primary partitions hidden, but here
    >strangely, I seem to be able to have many visible primary partitions.
    >WHat's the point of making primary partitions hidden if even Win 98SE
    >can handle it?!
    >
    >And why all the fuss about having to install the old then the new - 98
    >then XP?

    No fuss it just is one of the more straight forward ways of achieving
    the desired results especially if you are doing a completely fresh
    install of all OS's

    >If I am going against the grain, howcome no damage is being done?

    No damage should be done so long as the user has a clear idea what is
    going on.

    Andy Lee, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Randy Beck Guest

    I believe that 98 must put the system on the c:drive (or puts it there by
    default), and all files point to there in 98, during install of xp you can
    partition or put it anywhwere on the fly. That was my understanding. I am
    also interested why this happened.

    Randy Beck, Jan 21, 2005
  6. "Randy Beck" <> wrote in message news:SlgId.11877$
    > I believe that 98 must put the system on the c: drive

    Then explain this (msdos.sys) :

    [Paths]
    WinDir=D:\WIN98FE
    WinBootDir=C:\WIN98FE
    HostWinBootDrv=C

    > (or puts it there by default),

    > and all files point to there in 98,

    Nope.

    > during install of xp you can partition or put it anywhwere on the fly.

    > That was my understanding.

    Perhaps you should change it then.

    > I am also interested why this happened.

    Why what happened?