8Mp Digicams?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by VT, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. VT

    VT Guest

    VT, Jan 10, 2004

  2. VT

    Mark B. Guest

    "VT" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Imaging-Resource.com have posted that through NDA (Non-Disclosure
    > Agreements) they know that there is going to be a wave of 8Mp digicams
    > announced soon from the majority of the major players.
    >
    > please see:
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1073674311.html
    > --
    > Vincent
    > remove CLOTHES for e-mail
    >
    > http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
    > http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

    dpreview.com just posted a review of the Sony 828:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/. Pretty bad noise levels.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 10, 2004

  3. VT

    GAH Guest

    Well, it's just a matter of time. They've been stuck at the 5MP level for
    longer than normal, so it only makes sense higher megapixels will come out
    sooner or later. I agree with the article however, in that I'd be willing
    to bet that will the number of pixels will increase, the overall image
    quality will NOT. Unless some real innovations in chips or the way they
    process an image happens, I don't think these new "mega-megapixel cameras"
    will overly impress anyone.

    Greg

    GAH, Jan 11, 2004
  4. VT

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <491Mb.1965$q4.766
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    says...
    > Well, it's just a matter of time. They've been stuck at the 5MP level for
    > longer than normal, so it only makes sense higher megapixels will come out
    > sooner or later. I agree with the article however, in that I'd be willing
    > to bet that will the number of pixels will increase, the overall image
    > quality will NOT. Unless some real innovations in chips or the way they
    > process an image happens, I don't think these new "mega-megapixel cameras"
    > will overly impress anyone.

    As can be seen in the pictures from the new Sony 8mp
    camera... incresing pixels without increasing SIZE only
    creates a noisier image.

    Some company needs to make the first move and build a
    BIGGER sensor for a P&S camera (at least at the level
    where the Sony 717 and other top end P&S cameras are
    selling)
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Jan 11, 2004
  5. On 2004-01-10, VT <> wrote:
    > Imaging-Resource.com have posted that through NDA (Non-Disclosure
    > Agreements) they know that there is going to be a wave of 8Mp digicams
    > announced soon from the majority of the major players.
    >
    > please see:
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1073674311.html

    Problem with 8 mpix is, that with todays CCD size,
    the last 2 mpixels will become noise.

    The F828 at 64 ISO has more noise than the 300D at
    800 ISO, and the ISO on it is overrated. 200 ISO is
    equivalent to 125 ISO the 300D.

    So 8 mpix is useless in the near future onless
    larger chips follow.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 11, 2004
  6. VT

    VT Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 06:57:19 +0000 (UTC), "Povl H. Pedersen"
    <> wrote:

    >Problem with 8 mpix is, that with todays CCD size,
    >the last 2 mpixels will become noise.

    <snip>
    >So 8 mpix is useless in the near future onless
    >larger chips follow.

    I think a lot of people are aware and concerned about the likely noise
    in higher Mp count on smaller chips - this is not news.

    However another way to look at this might be -

    If 8Mp becomes commonplace for "prosumer" and perhaps even consumer
    (p&s style) digicams -

    then aren't we likely to see a lot more 8Mp+ DSLRs, at affordable
    prices?

    VT, Jan 11, 2004