    something i didn't really know how to do (if its even possible at all).

    Anyway, any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

    dboogie
    dboogie4, Sep 24, 2004

  2. dboogie4

    HonestJohn Guest

    "dboogie4" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question
    > but I'll ask
    > anyway. I just received an email from one of my wife's
    > co-workers and she
    > has an 8mm video tape that she'd like to copy over to DVD
    > format. is there
    > a process or piece of hardware that will allow this to be done
    > on a
    > computer? I know there are dvd burners but transfering 8mm
    > video to DVD is
    > something i didn't really know how to do (if its even possible
    > at all).
    >
    > Anyway, any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > dboogie

    It's not that hard to achieve.

    All you need is a reasonably up-to-date multimedia desktop or
    laptop with a DVD writer, a video input port plus some inexpensive
    and simple to use software.

    Capture is where recordings on tape in your camcorder are copied,
    in digital form, on to the PC's hard disc drive.

    Your movies are on analogue tape so get a video capture card or
    a USB video capture device like the Pinnacle Movie Box or Belkin
    F5U208

    Once footage from your tapes has been copied to the PC you end up
    with one or more very large video files that need to be broken
    down into scenes.

    Editing involves splitting the video into a sequence of short
    scenes, which can be trimmed and assembled into the required
    order.

    Rendering is where the effects are incorporated into the footage
    and the movie is converted into a form readable by a DVD player.

    Burning creates the finished disc.

    A number of programs that simplify the process and make it
    possible for just about anyone, without any editing or production
    skills, to create professional-looking movies on DVD.

    Pinnacle Studio 9 (www.pinnaclesys.com)
    HonestJohn, Sep 24, 2004

  3. dboogie4

    dennis Guest

    I been using Sonic MyDVD for doing simple transfers from 8mm to DVD. Came
    bundled with my liteon burner. Haven't had any problems and is fairly
    simple to use. Sonic has a method where once it is set up you simply hit
    capture then start your camera and in about 2 and 1/2 hours (assuming you
    have a 120min tape) you have a finished dvd. (ok there may be a little
    learning curve here)

    As far as capture devices:
    If you plan on or have a digital video camera you might want to look at an
    AV/DV capture card. The one I have is by pinnacle, works well with both
    tape formats.

    hopes this helps
    Dennis

    dennis, Sep 24, 2004
  4. dboogie4

    Chet Guest

    If it's a one-shot thing, it would be cheaper to send it out to a commercial
    service that does such things.

    If you decide to do it yourself, you need to get the answer to one more
    question, 8mm video comes in digital-8 and analog. The answer to your
    question will depend on which it is but in either case, you will probably
    need a camcorder of that format to copy the data into your computer as
    stand-alone 8mm decks are not usually found at home.

    Chet, Sep 25, 2004
  5. dboogie4

    dboogie4 Guest

    Thanks for the replies......