    The Sigma (or other) 8mm circular fisheyes would crop to a 12mm field of
    view on the Nikon DSLRs. Would this create a full-frame image or would
    there be vignetting?

    Lung Fish, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Lung Fish <> wrote in
    news:Xns94C659E602869lungfish@216.196.97.136:

    > Since my local shop does not have one in stock, I can't easily run out
    > and just try this to see what the results will be, so I will just pose
    > the question in case someone has attempted it:
    >
    > The Sigma (or other) 8mm circular fisheyes would crop to a 12mm field
    > of view on the Nikon DSLRs. Would this create a full-frame image or
    > would there be vignetting?

    The sensors in DSLR are approx 15x23 mm.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page2.asp

    So ... if yoor 12 mm is correct, it will work just fine.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Lung Fish

    Lung Fish Guest

    Roland Karlsson <> wrote in

    > The sensors in DSLR are approx 15x23 mm.
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page2.asp
    >
    > So ... if yoor 12 mm is correct, it will work just fine.

    I know it will work. What I want to know is whether it will vignette or
    fill the frame.

    Lung Fish, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Lung Fish wrote:

    > Since my local shop does not have one in stock, I can't easily run out and
    > just try this to see what the results will be, so I will just pose the
    > question in case someone has attempted it:
    >
    > The Sigma (or other) 8mm circular fisheyes would crop to a 12mm field of
    > view on the Nikon DSLRs. Would this create a full-frame image or would
    > there be vignetting?

    Slight vignetting. The Sigma 8mm has am image circle of approximately
    22mm (fitting a circle just inside the 24mm height of the 35mm frame).
    The diagonal of the Nikon sensor is 27.5mm. You will get dark cut-off
    corners.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Lung Fish <> wrote in

    >> So ... if yoor 12 mm is correct, it will work just fine.

    > I know it will work. What I want to know is whether it will vignette or
    > fill the frame.

    If it is 12 mm diameter, it will not vignette.

    Now ... as David said - it is not 12 mm, but rather 22 mm.
    Then it will vignette.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Lung Fish

    George Guest

    I have a D70 and the Nikon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye (24mm circular image)...what
    that combo gives is very slight cut off in the corners. My finder divides
    the scene into 16 equal size rectangles and each of the 4 corner rectangles
    cuts off in about the final 1/3 (approximately 44/48, 91.7%,
    coverage)...rather an unusual shape. Tilting the lens up or down gives the
    usual curvature effect.

    HTH,
    George

    George, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Lung Fish

    Lung Fish Guest

    David Kilpatrick <> wrote in

    > Slight vignetting. The Sigma 8mm has am image circle of approximately
    > 22mm (fitting a circle just inside the 24mm height of the 35mm frame).
    > The diagonal of the Nikon sensor is 27.5mm. You will get dark cut-off
    > corners.

    Thanks. I didn't equate the other explanation in those terms.

    Lung Fish, Apr 9, 2004