    --
    Terry
    Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.
    Terry, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Terry

    Drifter Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:18:45 -0400, "Terry"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an old version (5.0) of Photoshop. I can open Canon RAW files with
    >Canon software and move them into Photoshop as a 16bit tif. The trouble is,
    >in order to use the Photoshop tools, I must convert the photo back to 8 bit.
    >I have noticed on just two shots that the image seemed to darken when
    >switching from 16 to 8 bit. How much difference should I expect in a final
    >print between a 16 and an 8 bit image?

    You shouldn't expect any difference but what you are probably seeing
    is the reduction in dynamic range when you drop to 8 bit.

    Honestly, if you are going to stay with Photoshop and want to work
    with 16 bit files then drop the $$$ on an upgrade to CS.

    Oh, and if you do upgrade I would also I would suggest purchasing the
    book "Adobe Photoshop CS 1-on-1" by Deke McClelland ($40.00 USD).

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Oct 23, 2004

  3. "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:18:45 -0400, "Terry"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have an old version (5.0) of Photoshop. I can open Canon RAW files

    with
    > >Canon software and move them into Photoshop as a 16bit tif. The trouble

    is,
    > >in order to use the Photoshop tools, I must convert the photo back to 8

    bit.
    > >I have noticed on just two shots that the image seemed to darken when
    > >switching from 16 to 8 bit. How much difference should I expect in a

    final
    > >print between a 16 and an 8 bit image?

    > You shouldn't expect any difference but what you are probably seeing
    > is the reduction in dynamic range when you drop to 8 bit.
    >
    > Honestly, if you are going to stay with Photoshop and want to work
    > with 16 bit files then drop the $$$ on an upgrade to CS.
    >
    > Oh, and if you do upgrade I would also I would suggest purchasing the
    > book "Adobe Photoshop CS 1-on-1" by Deke McClelland ($40.00 USD).
    >

    > Drifter
    > "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Hey Deke! Is that you? Love your book. I have that and the Bibles for
    InDesign and Creative Suite....but while those books are always open and
    help me do better what I know how to do...the book that is teaching me
    important new concepts is Professional Photoshop.

    I shoot RAW and convert to 16 bit...but edit mostly in 8 bit....lots of
    tools won't do 16. But more and more are.
    Gene Palmiter, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Terry

    Drifter Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:29:02 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >"Drifter" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:18:45 -0400, "Terry"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have an old version (5.0) of Photoshop. I can open Canon RAW files

    >with
    >> >Canon software and move them into Photoshop as a 16bit tif. The trouble

    >is,
    >> >in order to use the Photoshop tools, I must convert the photo back to 8

    >bit.
    >> >I have noticed on just two shots that the image seemed to darken when
    >> >switching from 16 to 8 bit. How much difference should I expect in a

    >final
    >> >print between a 16 and an 8 bit image?

    >> You shouldn't expect any difference but what you are probably seeing
    >> is the reduction in dynamic range when you drop to 8 bit.
    >>
    >> Honestly, if you are going to stay with Photoshop and want to work
    >> with 16 bit files then drop the $$$ on an upgrade to CS.
    >>
    >> Oh, and if you do upgrade I would also I would suggest purchasing the
    >> book "Adobe Photoshop CS 1-on-1" by Deke McClelland ($40.00 USD).
    >>

    >> Drifter
    >> "I've been here, I've been there..."

    >Hey Deke! Is that you? Love your book. I have that and the Bibles for
    >InDesign and Creative Suite....but while those books are always open and
    >help me do better what I know how to do...the book that is teaching me
    >important new concepts is Professional Photoshop.
    >
    >I shoot RAW and convert to 16 bit...but edit mostly in 8 bit....lots of
    >tools won't do 16. But more and more are.

    Sorry - not Deke, nor do I have any affiliations with him, just a
    longtime Photoshop user who really thinks Deke does a good job with
    his books and tries to save others all the money I wasted finding good
    resources/guides.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Thanks. I plan to upgrade to CS in the future. I will get that book when I
    do.

    Terry, Oct 23, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > I have an old version (5.0) of Photoshop. I can open Canon RAW files with
    > Canon software and move them into Photoshop as a 16bit tif. The trouble is,
    > in order to use the Photoshop tools, I must convert the photo back to 8 bit.
    > I have noticed on just two shots that the image seemed to darken when
    > switching from 16 to 8 bit. How much difference should I expect in a final
    > print between a 16 and an 8 bit image?

    I have a couple of discussions of 8bit vs 16bit editing on my web site.
    You can view them and decide for yourself if it makes a difference.
    From my experience there is a slight increase in the smoothness of the
    darkest gradations if the largest changes to brightness and contrast
    are done with 16 bit images. I also have some tips on how to approximate
    this with older versions of Photoshop that have limited editing functionality
    in 16 bits.
    Follow the tips link on my home page, if you are interested.
    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com
    Robert Feinman, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Terry

    andre Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > I have an old version (5.0) of Photoshop. I can open Canon RAW files with
    > Canon software and move them into Photoshop as a 16bit tif. The trouble is,
    > in order to use the Photoshop tools, I must convert the photo back to 8 bit.
    > I have noticed on just two shots that the image seemed to darken when
    > switching from 16 to 8 bit. How much difference should I expect in a final
    > print between a 16 and an 8 bit image?

    Since 8 bits refer to 8bit per pixel the image is actually 24 bits. Why
    am I bothering to tell you? Well most monitors only show 24 bits or 32
    bits. So it should not show any difference after conversion. 16 bits are
    good for editing, since you can bring out features that won't show
    otherwise (e.g. brighten the image a bit, will bring out detail in the
    shadows that would not be in the 8 bit file).
    Essentially you should do your editing in 16 bit to prevent loss of
    information but when you finally convert to 8 bit you should not see a
    difference.

    Andre

    --
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com