    Is it possible to installed the SEC feature after the purchase, updating the software?

    Thanks,

    Alex.

    AM, Oct 7, 2005

  2. AM

    Guest

    On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:34:34 GMT, AM <> wrote:

    >Do the routers in the object differ only by te software installed?

    Yes.

    >Do the share the same hardware?

    Yes.

    >Is it possible to installed the SEC feature after the purchase, updating the software?

    Yes.

    , Oct 10, 2005

  3. AM

    AM Guest

    s wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:34:34 GMT, AM <> wrote:
    >
    >>Do the routers in the object differ only by te software installed?

    > Yes.
    >
    >>Do the share the same hardware?

    > Yes.
    >
    >>Is it possible to installed the SEC feature after the purchase, updating the software?

    > Yes.

    So, why trying to install the IOS from c836-k9o3s3y6-mz.124-2.T1.bin to c836-k9o3s8y6-mz.124-2.T1.bin (look at s3 in the
    middle) the same router goes into the ROMmon mode? I had to roll back to that that doesn't enable the hardware
    accelerator....

    Alex.

    AM, Oct 11, 2005
  4. s wrote in

    > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:34:34 GMT, AM <> wrote:
    >
    >>Do the routers in the object differ only by te software installed?

    > Yes.
    >
    >>Do the share the same hardware?

    > Yes.

    I suppose that the SEC-version has the accelerator chip (for
    encryption/decryption) installed. So it needs another IOS release.

    Regards,
    Carsten

    --
    (Bei eMail-Kontakt: Bitte "USENET" im Betreff mit angeben.
    For emails: Please put 'USENET' somewhere in the subject.)

    Carsten Schneider, Oct 11, 2005
  5. AM

    Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:00:29 GMT, AM <> wrote:

    >So, why trying to install the IOS from c836-k9o3s3y6-mz.124-2.T1.bin to c836-k9o3s8y6-mz.124-2.T1.bin (look at s3 in the
    >middle) the same router goes into the ROMmon mode? I had to roll back to that that doesn't enable the hardware
    >accelerator....

    All of the 83x hardware has a hardware accelerator. It's one of the
    characteristics that separates the 83x line from the SOHO 9x line.

    I think what you are running into are memory requirements that exceed
    what you have equipped in your router. If you were to look up the
    troublesome IOS release on Cisco's web site I am willing to bet that
    you will find that it requires either more flash or more RAM than your
    router is equipped with. For example, the way I understand it, some of
    the 12.4 IOS releases for the 83x series require 64 MB of RAM.

    Getting dumped into ROMmon mode when trying to upgrade is a symptom of
    memory deficiencies.

    The bad news is that Cisco only just recently started shipping 83x
    units with 64 MB of RAM and the older units are not upgradeable past
    48 MB of RAM. The new 64MB routers have -64MB tacked onto the end of
    the Cisco part numbers.

    , Oct 11, 2005