871W

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Supersleuth, Feb 11, 2010.

  1. Supersleuth

    Supersleuth Guest

    Hi

    Can anyone point to a model that is simila rin size to the 871W 4 port
    switch with wireless

    I need it with the following spec.

    4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet

    802.11 b/g/n

    CLI interface

    able to define a monitor port(s) for upstream, downstrem or both ways
    traffic

    doesnt have to be cisco but prefered but does have to be portable.

    I want to use it as a wired/wireless tap for packet capture by clients

    many thanks
    Supersleuth, Feb 11, 2010

  2. Supersleuth <> writes:
    >Can anyone point to a model that is simila rin size to the 871W 4 port
    >switch with wireless

    >I need it with the following spec.

    >4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet

    >802.11 b/g/n

    >CLI interface

    >able to define a monitor port(s) for upstream, downstrem or both ways
    >traffic

    Not likely, thats alot for a portable package.
    Other vendors aren't going there much either.

    You can get close with a Cisco 1941W, you can add on two HWIC-1GE-SFP's,
    but you don't get SPAN port monitoring on router ports, they'll be
    seperate routed ports.

    If packet debug traces are good enough for you, that might be an option.

    A FortiWiFi-80CM is even smaller, but only has 2 ge ports, and 7 FE
    lan ports. But again, you'd have to do packet debug traces to see
    trafic through it, no port SPAN, although you could setup a
    "software hub" on 6 of the FE ports, you won't be able to include the
    GE ports.

    It sounds like you really want a incredibly small 4-port managed Gig switch.
    Pretty small market for that.
    Doug McIntyre, Feb 11, 2010

  3. Supersleuth

    bod43 Guest

    On 11 Feb, 22:00, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > Supersleuth <> writes:
    > >Can anyone point to a model that is simila rin size to the 871W 4 port
    > >switch with wireless
    > >I need it with the following spec.
    > >4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet
    > >802.11 b/g/n
    > >CLI interface
    > >able to define a monitor port(s) for upstream, downstrem or both ways
    > >traffic

    > Not likely, thats alot for a portable package.
    > Other vendors aren't going there much either.
    >
    > You can get close with a Cisco 1941W, you can add on two HWIC-1GE-SFP's,
    > but you don't get SPAN port monitoring on router ports, they'll be
    > seperate routed ports.
    >
    > If packet debug traces are good enough for you, that might be an option.
    >
    > A FortiWiFi-80CM is even smaller, but only has 2 ge ports, and 7 FE
    > lan ports. But again, you'd have to do packet debug traces to see
    > trafic through it, no port SPAN, although you could setup a
    > "software hub" on 6 of the FE ports, you won't be able to include the
    > GE ports.
    >
    > It sounds like you really want a incredibly small 4-port managed Gig switch.
    > Pretty small market for that.

    Perhaps this may help.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps9913/datasheet_c78-502727.html
    Cisco IOS Embedded Packet Capture

    It's quite a new facility but is available on many routers.

    This will probally (at a wild guess) work on
    "router ports" but not "switch ports".

    So on an 871 (if it works at all on an 871 - check software
    versions - www.cisco.com/go/fn) it might work on
    the outside interface, SVIs (i.e. VLAN interfaces)
    but will probably not work on the 4 individual internal
    switch ports.

    Thing is that an 871 has limited performance and
    if you add packet capture then it may well prove
    inadequate for your needs.

    The most certain thing is to add a switch that supports SPAN
    in the path. e.g. Catalyst 2960 (I suppose).

    Stick it outside the 871 and you will see everything
    heading across the Internet.

    A dedicated switch with SPAN implements the
    packet "copying" in hardware and will never run out
    of resources.
    bod43, Feb 12, 2010
  4. Supersleuth

    Supersleuth Guest

    thanks for that just a pity

    the 871W does offer monitor port function with standard IOS

    Looks like i will just have to wait till the next generation of SOHO

    cheers
    Supersleuth, Feb 14, 2010