831 Router - restore factory configuration

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bobd@hacm.org, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I picked up a used Cisco 831 on eBay recently. It's time I learned
    something - even a little - about applying Cisco products. My purchase
    included only the router and the power brick. I've picked up a
    RJ45/DB9F adaptor and successfully connected to the Console port. And
    I've also found and printed out three manuals from Cisco's site -
    including the rather robust detailed instruction manual.

    The router was pulled from a network and was configured for that
    network. Hence, the default settings are gone. I'd like to get back
    to the factory default settings so that I can see what the CRWS is and
    what it does, install the SDM and play with that, and also learn the
    Cisco CLI. I suspect I will be learning more about the CLI than I'd
    intended before I get into anything else on this guy. Oh well, let the
    fun begin. . . .

    Does anyone know what the original factory settings are and how I can
    get back to them? I have successfully re-enabled the 'Break' response
    and have followed the 'Reset' instructions on page 5-13 (I think that's
    the page, shooting from memory at the moment). But the CRWS is not
    responsive and I don't know what the machine's IP address is. I've
    configured an IP address of 10.10.10.1 on one of the ports (Eth 3, I
    think) and that was probably a wrong step. I am not able to ping the
    device at this point.

    So, any Cisco ghurus out there know how to get me back to the beginning
    on this? I am very much of a Cisco newbie. Maybe even pre-Newbie.

    , Nov 17, 2005

  2. Hi,

    There is no such thing as "factory default settings". If you do not have a
    config - it's your "factory default". No IP address, no passwords, etc.

    If you have console access, and you have a "privileged password", you can do
    the command "write erase", and then reset the router. It will erase all
    settings you had. During a bootup you should be asked for a basic
    configuration (i.e. IP address, subnetmask, what interfaces to bring up,
    etc.). After that you can use browser to play with the router. You can
    "erase" the config as many times as you want.

    Good luck,

    Mike
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

    CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Guest

    On 17 Nov 2005 13:08:41 -0800, wrote:

    >network. Hence, the default settings are gone. I'd like to get back
    >to the factory default settings so that I can see what the CRWS is and
    >what it does, install the SDM and play with that, and also learn the
    >Cisco CLI. I suspect I will be learning more about the CLI than I'd
    >intended before I get into anything else on this guy. Oh well, let the
    >fun begin. . . .

    I think Mike handled explaining the reset process very well. All I
    wish to add is that you may want to just forget about learning CRWS.
    Cisco has stopped using it on their routers so unless you just can't
    wrap your head around SDM & the new SDM Express that sort of replaces
    CRWS you'd probably do well not wasting time fooling around with
    something that will never see an update or yield you knowledge that
    can be carried on to future routers.

    If you take the time to learn and don't let yourself get overly
    frustrated you are in for a very rewarding experience. The great
    thinga bout Cisco routers is that they can do nearly anything,
    including that little 831 you just bought.

    Unfortunately, at least for newbies, the worst thing about Cisco
    routers is that they can do nearly everything which means there are a
    LOT of configuration parameters and commands.

    , Nov 21, 2005