    but to a certain point and this replacement is too loud.

    Thanks,
    Nick

    Nick, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Nick

    ICee Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
    > the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
    > fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it.
    > I went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82
    > dual ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is
    > twice as loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as
    > to what fan I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can
    > tolerate noise but to a certain point and this replacement is too
    > loud.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick

    The Panasonic Panaflow 12L low noise fans are relatively quiet, 28dBA.
    http://www.coolerguys.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=961
    The quietest is the Vantec Stealth at 21 dBA.
    http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=5731

    TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/34nvf

    ICee, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Nick

    br1ght Guest

    Sleeve 'bearing' fans are generally quieter given the same RPM than ball
    bearing fans. Ball bearing fans can last longer if kept clean, otherwise I
    have found their life to be about the same as sleeve. Also, just because a
    fan is quieter doesn't mean that it cools as well as a noisier one *and
    vice-versa*. Watch check for their CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating.

    I have found that the biggest noise problem with case fans is a improper
    positioning. Most recently built cases give a choice of front (near the case
    floor) fan and rear (mid-height) mount. While one may think putting the fan
    near the case floor might help bring in cooler air (versus the rear fan
    located higher), the opposite is generally true. In my experience, front
    fans just bring in more dirt and thus coat the components with an layer of
    dirt (insulation). Rear and side mounted fans tend to bring in much less
    dirt likely because the fan(s) aren't sucking in dusty air caused because of
    foot traffic, vacuuming, dusting the desk etc stirring the dust into it.
    Putting the fan at the rear of the unit also makes it quieter to the
    operator. So if your case has a rear fan cutout, your cheapest solution may
    be to keep the fan you just bought and mount it in a quieter, cleaner
    location.

    If you want really quiet fan models, look at the following as both
    specialize in quiet(er) cooling
    http://www.endpcnoise.com
    http://www.directron.com

    br1ght
    _____________________________

    br1ght, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Thanks for the info...but I'm a bit confused...the Jamicon JF0825xs1m
    has an air flow of 32.52 and a dba of 27.0 and the cooler master has
    32.11 and a dba of 26 but the cooler master is still louder than the
    Jamicon. Oh well...I guess I will have to keep trying them out until I
    find one that I like :(

    Nick, Feb 18, 2004

    Misa Mirkovic, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Nick

    John and Pat Guest

    "Misa Mirkovic" <> wrote in message

    > "Nick" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I need advice on grabbing a new 80mm Case fan for the front of
    > > the computer. Previously I had a sleeve bearing fan which was a decent
    > > fan but started making some loud noises and now I have to replace it. I
    > > went to the local MicroCenter and purchased a Cooler Master SAF-B82 dual
    > > ball fan and have put it in and can honestly say that it is twice as
    > > loud as my previous fan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what fan
    > > I could buy from a local Compusa or from Newegg? I can tolerate noise
    > > but to a certain point and this replacement is too loud.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Nick

    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/00025.html

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/alarmandaccesories/silencerfan/index.