    set: failed, "command not found"

    What could be wrong ? Ideas greatly appreciated....

    Cas Renooij

    Cas, May 7, 2005

  2. Cas

    Cas Guest

    Cas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an old Cisco 803 router with an unknown password. I tried the
    > cisco password recovery with no effect.
    >
    > Strangely, I do not get the bootprompt the cisco docs show.
    >
    > Cisco doc says : Type set ios-conf = 142 at the boot# prompt.
    > My prompt is : boot>
    >
    > The result I get is :
    > boot> set ios-conf = 142
    > set: failed, "command not found"
    >

    > What could be wrong ? Ideas greatly appreciated....
    >
    > Cas Renooij

    I should add that trying to change the ios-conf settings produce an error:
    boot> set ios-conf=0x142
    ios-conf: failed, "permission denied"

    Cas, May 7, 2005

  3. Cas

    Guest

    I have an 801 here.

    The convention with cisco prompts is that the
    last character in the prompt indicates the
    permissions that you have at the time.
    > indicates read only - or "disabled"

    # indicated read/write - or "enabled"

    try issuing the command "enable"

    e.g.

    boot#
    boot# dis
    boot> set ios-conf=0x142
    ios-conf: failed, "permission denied"
    boot> en
    boot# set ios-conf=0x142
    boot#

    Mine comes up "enabled" so maybe you are still in trouble.

    I tried with an enable password and enable secret set
    and it still works without requiring a password.

    Good luck.

    , May 9, 2005
  4. Cas

    Guest

    Also:

    The "comand not found" probably resulted from an extra space.

    type commands EXACTLY as shown.

    I only used one space.

    set[space]io........

    , May 9, 2005
  5. Cas

    Cas Guest

    wrote:
    > I have an 801 here.
    >
    > The convention with cisco prompts is that the
    > last character in the prompt indicates the
    > permissions that you have at the time.
    >
    >> indicates read only - or "disabled"

    > # indicated read/write - or "enabled"
    >
    > try issuing the command "enable"
    >
    > e.g.
    >
    > boot#
    > boot# dis
    > boot> set ios-conf=0x142
    > ios-conf: failed, "permission denied"
    > boot> en
    > boot# set ios-conf=0x142
    > boot#
    >
    > Mine comes up "enabled" so maybe you are still in trouble.
    >
    > I tried with an enable password and enable secret set
    > and it still works without requiring a password.
    >
    > Good luck.

    I guess i am still in trouble... typing enable presents me a password
    prompt and that is just what I want to reset.

    Thanks anyway...
    Cas...

    Cas, May 11, 2005
  6. Cas

    Guest

    OH well...

    There is some cisco kit with some IOS which allows password
    recovery to be disabled. I don't know anything about it
    however maybe this is what you have.

    , May 13, 2005