    Does running 2003 Forestprep and Domprep bring my 2000 AD to a point where I
    can install the GP tools on a XP workstation and create the policy?

    Ken

    AdminKen, Apr 5, 2005

  2. AdminKen

    ptwilliams Guest

    > Does running 2003 Forestprep and Domprep bring my 2000 AD to a point where
    > I can install the GP tools on a XP workstation and create the policy?

    No it does not. However, with the administration tools and/ or the GPMC you
    can edit GPOs from the 2003 and/ or XP machines which will automatically
    update the .adm files on the PDCe (or DC that you are working on -by
    default, this is the PDCe).

    There's a bug with XP SP2 that you need to be aware of though:
    -- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=842933

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    ptwilliams, Apr 5, 2005

  3. AdminKen

    AdminKen Guest

    So do I have to upgrade my 2000 server DC to 2003 if I want to use 802.1x
    group policy settings? If not then how?

    AdminKen, Apr 5, 2005
  4. AdminKen

    ptwilliams Guest

    ptwilliams, Apr 5, 2005
  5. AdminKen

    AdminKen Guest

    What if I dont have a 2003 server?

    AdminKen, Apr 5, 2005
  6. In your first post you state that you have a Windows 2003 member server.

    I also stated, in two consecutive posts, that you can use EITHER a Windows
    2003 server OR a Windows XP machine.

    If you don't have an XP machine or a 2003 server, then you can't do this
    unless you copy the .adm files from somebody with these files.

    I assumed that you had the necessary .adm files and were wondering how to go
    about integrating them into your Windows 2000 environment?!?!

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    =?Utf-8?B?cHR3aWxsaWFtcw==?=, Apr 5, 2005
  7. AdminKen

    AdminKen Guest

    Sorry. (Your right I do have a 2003 server.) I guess my question should
    have been do I need a 2003 domain controller. I was under the impression
    that creating the GP required at least one 2003 DC because of Active
    Directory requirements, and not just the need for the correct .adm files.

    I am familiar with running the admin toots and/or GPMC on XP but I did not
    realize this would work with my current AD from a 2000 DC. I thought it was
    a AD limitation.

    Ken

    AdminKen, Apr 7, 2005
  8. AdminKen

    ptwilliams Guest

    If you use new admin templates to edit a GPO these are copied to the server
    (that you are editing the GPO on). There's no requirement for a 2003 domain
    to use the 2003 admin templates. And even if there was, the stuff you
    require is in XPs admin templates and that does work.

    Just read the issue I posted earlier re. XP SP2.

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/