802.1x PEAP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmllRA==?=, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. I'm trying to use 802.1x with PEAP for our wireless network. In order to use
    that we have a RADIUS server (Windows 2003 IAS), AD in native mode, but no CA
    deployed. Is this the first mistake?

    I have followed the "Obtaining and Installing a VeriSign WLAN Server
    Certificate for PEAP-MS-CHAP v2 Wireless Authentication" guide from
    Microsoft, and it doesn't mention the need for a CA.

    So following the guide, I've installed the VeriSign WLAN server certificate
    on the IAS server, in the Local Computer certificate store. I've verified the
    installation. On the client, I have setup for 802.1x PEAP, ticked the
    validate server certificate and selected the Trusted Certificate Authority
    Root as VeriSign Class 3 Primary CA -expire 8/1/2028, as stated in the guide
    mentioned above.

    I'm unable to connect to the network. I am getting the following errors in
    the event log on the IAS server.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: IAS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20168
    Could not retrieve the Remote Access Server's certificate due to the
    following error: The credentials supplied to the package were not recognized

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: IAS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3
    Access request for user domain\user was discarded.
    Reason-Code = 1
    Reason = An internal error occurred.

    Can someone please please advise me on where I'm going wrong?

    Thank you
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmllRA==?=, Oct 17, 2006