    router all references I've seen to these cards are clients and require a
    router or can be used in ad-hoc.

    so has anyone done a similar thing ? comments and suggestions welcome.

    JD, Jun 27, 2004

  2. JD

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in news:cbmjbo$p2e$:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm currently thinking about giving a friend access to my lan, he
    > lives relatively close to me bout 100 meters or so
    > and so I think I could use a WIFI network so we can play games against
    > each other swap files and music etc. I already have a small home
    > network (5 pc`s, print server and file server) this small lan consists
    > of two routers now I do not wish to purchase a third router (its not
    > the expense, I'm actually running out of space and plug sockets) so
    > what I want to do is put a WIFI card in my Linux box I was thinking a
    > 802.11g card would be best as I believe it has a 300 meter range (I do
    > not expect it to actually work for 300 meters) and I believe they are
    > backwards compatible with 802.11b cards (?) I understand that the
    > Atheros and prism chipsets are supported under Linux. But can I
    > actually use a wifi card combined with my Linux box as a router all
    > references I've seen to these cards are clients and require a router
    > or can be used in ad-hoc.
    >
    > so has anyone done a similar thing ? comments and suggestions welcome.

    Why can you not use a WAP and plug it into one of the routers?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 27, 2004

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    | "JD" <> wrote in news:cbmjbo$p2e$:
    |
    | > Hi there
    | >
    | > I'm currently thinking about giving a friend access to my lan, he
    | > lives relatively close to me bout 100 meters or so
    | > and so I think I could use a WIFI network so we can play games against
    | > each other swap files and music etc. I already have a small home
    | > network (5 pc`s, print server and file server) this small lan consists
    | > of two routers now I do not wish to purchase a third router (its not
    | > the expense, I'm actually running out of space and plug sockets) so
    | > what I want to do is put a WIFI card in my Linux box I was thinking a
    | > 802.11g card would be best as I believe it has a 300 meter range (I do
    | > not expect it to actually work for 300 meters) and I believe they are
    | > backwards compatible with 802.11b cards (?) I understand that the
    | > Atheros and prism chipsets are supported under Linux. But can I
    | > actually use a wifi card combined with my Linux box as a router all
    | > references I've seen to these cards are clients and require a router
    | > or can be used in ad-hoc.
    | >
    | > so has anyone done a similar thing ? comments and suggestions welcome.
    | >

    | Why can you not use a WAP and plug it into one of the routers?
    |
    | Duane :)

    Simple yes .. fun NO .. I like to make things hard for myself ;) .. how else
    do you learn .. besides .. lack of space and plug sockets remember ;)

    JD, Jun 28, 2004
  4. JD

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in news:cbnoe0$mna$:

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >| "JD" <> wrote in
    >|
    >| > Hi there
    >| >
    >| > I'm currently thinking about giving a friend access to my lan, he
    >| > lives relatively close to me bout 100 meters or so
    >| > and so I think I could use a WIFI network so we can play games
    >| > against each other swap files and music etc. I already have a small
    >| > home network (5 pc`s, print server and file server) this small lan
    >| > consists of two routers now I do not wish to purchase a third
    >| > router (its not the expense, I'm actually running out of space and
    >| > plug sockets) so what I want to do is put a WIFI card in my Linux
    >| > box I was thinking a 802.11g card would be best as I believe it has
    >| > a 300 meter range (I do not expect it to actually work for 300
    >| > meters) and I believe they are backwards compatible with 802.11b
    >| > cards (?) I understand that the Atheros and prism chipsets are
    >| > supported under Linux. But can I actually use a wifi card combined
    >| > with my Linux box as a router all references I've seen to these
    >| > cards are clients and require a router or can be used in ad-hoc.
    >| >
    >| > so has anyone done a similar thing ? comments and suggestions
    >| > welcome.
    >| >

    >| Why can you not use a WAP and plug it into one of the routers?
    >|
    >| Duane :)
    >
    > Simple yes .. fun NO .. I like to make things hard for myself ;) ..
    > how else do you learn .. besides .. lack of space and plug sockets
    > remember ;)

    You must be *young*. I am too damn old to be stressing by brain like that
    anymore. :) I may take a look at Linux just a little bit just for the
    Hell of it, but I am still a MS man -- got to make the paper $. ;)

    They have some Linux people running around in alt.internet.wireless you
    may want to drop a line there if you don't get an answer here.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 28, 2004
  5. JD

    | "JD" <> wrote in news:cbnoe0$mna$:
    |

    | > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    | >| "JD" <> wrote in
    | >|
> [...]
    | >|
    | >| Why can you not use a WAP and plug it into one of the routers?
    | >|
    | >| Duane :)
    | >
    | > Simple yes .. fun NO .. I like to make things hard for myself ;) ..
    | > how else do you learn .. besides .. lack of space and plug sockets
    | > remember ;)
    |
    | You must be *young*. I am too damn old to be stressing by brain like that
    | anymore. :) I may take a look at Linux just a little bit just for the
    | Hell of it, but I am still a MS man -- got to make the paper $. ;)
    |
    | They have some Linux people running around in alt.internet.wireless you
    | may want to drop a line there if you don't get an answer here.
    |
    | Duane :)

    Cheers I'll check that out ...

    JD, Jun 28, 2004