    signal.

    Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.

    Cheers all - Den.

    Den, Apr 2, 2007

  2. Den

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-02, Den <> wrote:
    > Hi all, can anyone help me - I'm tearing my hair out here!
    >
    > I just bought a laptop with a 802.11g mini card wireless adapter pre
    > installed. I already have a wireless network at home, so I thought
    > when I turned on this laptop it would detect a wireless signal, and I
    > would just have to put in my individual settings and connect to the
    > net. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot detect a wireless
    > signal.
    >
    > Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers all - Den.

    Is the wifi thing turned on? (Most laptops seem to have a physical switch
    for this).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Den

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:11:43 -0700, Den wrote:

    > Hi all, can anyone help me - I'm tearing my hair out here!
    >
    > I just bought a laptop with a 802.11g mini card wireless adapter pre
    > installed. I already have a wireless network at home, so I thought
    > when I turned on this laptop it would detect a wireless signal, and I
    > would just have to put in my individual settings and connect to the
    > net. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot detect a wireless
    > signal.
    >
    > Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers all - Den.

    Is the wireless card working?

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Den

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On 2 Apr 2007 13:11:43 -0700, "Den" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all, can anyone help me - I'm tearing my hair out here!
    >>
    >>I just bought a laptop with a 802.11g mini card wireless adapter pre
    >>installed. I already have a wireless network at home, so I thought
    >>when I turned on this laptop it would detect a wireless signal, and I
    >>would just have to put in my individual settings and connect to the
    >>net. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot detect a wireless
    >>signal.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.

    > Depends on what settings you have on the wireless network at home? Do
    > you have it set for "Disable SSID broadcast"? "Only allow connections
    > from the below MAC addresses"?

    You fucking idiot fool. You must have been drinking again, eh?

    --
    You despicable flob of stenchy dog shit.

    John Holmes, Apr 2, 2007
  5. Den

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Apr 2, 2007
  6. Den

    Mellowed Guest

    "Den" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, can anyone help me - I'm tearing my hair out here!
    >
    > I just bought a laptop with a 802.11g mini card wireless adapter pre
    > installed. I already have a wireless network at home, so I thought
    > when I turned on this laptop it would detect a wireless signal, and I
    > would just have to put in my individual settings and connect to the
    > net. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot detect a wireless
    > signal.
    >
    > Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers all - Den.

    For the initial 'turn on', suggest that you put the laptop in the same room
    as the router for maximum signal strength. Then Evan's suggestions are very
    valid.

    Mellowed, Apr 2, 2007
  7. Den

    Mellowed Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in message

    > "Den" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all, can anyone help me - I'm tearing my hair out here!
    >>
    >> I just bought a laptop with a 802.11g mini card wireless adapter pre
    >> installed. I already have a wireless network at home, so I thought
    >> when I turned on this laptop it would detect a wireless signal, and I
    >> would just have to put in my individual settings and connect to the
    >> net. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot detect a wireless
    >> signal.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers all - Den.

    > For the initial 'turn on', suggest that you put the laptop in the same
    > room as the router for maximum signal strength. Then Evan's suggestions
    > are very valid.

    You can also look for suggestions at the NG
    alt.internet.wireless

    Mellowed, Apr 2, 2007
  8. Den

    Kicking Bird Guest

    "Den" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, can anyone help me - I'm tearing my hair out here!
    >
    > I just bought a laptop with a 802.11g mini card wireless adapter pre
    > installed. I already have a wireless network at home, so I thought
    > when I turned on this laptop it would detect a wireless signal, and I
    > would just have to put in my individual settings and connect to the
    > net. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot detect a wireless
    > signal.
    >
    > Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers all - Den.

    If the other suggestions don't help, try ezlan.net

    Kicking Bird, Apr 2, 2007
  9. Den

    Mellowed Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in message

    > "Den" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all, can anyone help me - I'm tearing my hair out here!
    >>
    >> I just bought a laptop with a 802.11g mini card wireless adapter pre
    >> installed. I already have a wireless network at home, so I thought
    >> when I turned on this laptop it would detect a wireless signal, and I
    >> would just have to put in my individual settings and connect to the
    >> net. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I cannot detect a wireless
    >> signal.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions here would be VERY much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers all - Den.

    > For the initial 'turn on', suggest that you put the laptop in the same
    > room as the router for maximum signal strength. Then Evan's suggestions
    > are very valid.

    One more thought. Check to make sure that your router is set for 802.11g
    and not for 802.11b.

    Mellowed, Apr 3, 2007