    I can be reached via e-mail at
    cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

    Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.
    Brian Bergin, Jan 20, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Brian Bergin <> wrote:
    :Anyone used one of the external antennae that supposedly allow a simple Linksys
    :WAP11 and other 802.11b/g devices extended range from building to building? If
    :so, can you recommend one?

    Your domain is in the USA. That being the case, you can run into
    legal difficulties if you use an antenna that was not designed for
    use with your WAP11 and officially tested in combination with the WAP11.
    On the practical side, watch out for connector mismatches -- FCC
    regulations require that the antenna connectors deliberately be
    unique or hard to get.

    In practice, I suspect you would not run into problems if your
    combination was strictly within the 1 Watt EIRP limit of the USA.

    Wireless questions are often better put to alt.internet.wireless .

    --
    Sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional plasmatic space
    polyimaging is just around the corner. -- Corry Lee Smith
    Walter Roberson, Jan 20, 2004

  3. I think he was talking about this...

    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=548

    Richard R. Field, Jan 21, 2004
  4. In article <IOkPb.110965$na.99699@attbi_s04>,
    Richard R. Field <> wrote:
    :I think he was talking about this...

    :http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=548

    Well, maybe, but he asked about 'building to building', which the
    WSB aren't marketed for. The WSB just push up the signal level using
    the same omnis (and do some amplification on incoming signals);
    for building-to-building you are better off going with a more
    directional antenna.
    --
    WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,vonNeumann}D ?
    Walter Roberson, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Brian Bergin

    Brian Bergin Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

    |Well, maybe, but he asked about 'building to building', which the
    |WSB aren't marketed for. The WSB just push up the signal level using
    |the same omnis (and do some amplification on incoming signals);
    |for building-to-building you are better off going with a more
    |directional antenna.

    What about products like these the HD19697 on http://www.hdcom.com/links.html
    (towards the bottom)? Honestly, I only need to go about 100' from one bundling
    to the next. The landlord won't allow us to run fibre under the parking lot and
    local regulations prohibit overhead wires for this site. The landlord is the
    real problem here, he's being unreasonable as we're willing to pay to have the
    conduit run and fix the pavement but he's not budging so wireless is our only
    solution at this point. BTW, we only need about 3Mb/sec for the "remote"
    building because all it needs is the ability to run TS sessions over an Internet
    connection via cable modem that's in the primary location that's limited to
    3Mb/sec down anyway. We're using Linksys WAP11's right now but from inside to
    inside (there is concrete block between them on both sides) isn't cutting it.

    Thanks...

    Thanks...
    Brian Bergin

    Brian Bergin, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Brian Bergin

    Brian Bergin Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

    |In article <IOkPb.110965$na.99699@attbi_s04>,
    |Richard R. Field <> wrote:
    |:I think he was talking about this...
    |
    |:http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=548
    |
    |Well, maybe, but he asked about 'building to building', which the
    |WSB aren't marketed for. The WSB just push up the signal level using
    |the same omnis (and do some amplification on incoming signals);
    |for building-to-building you are better off going with a more
    |directional antenna.

    BTW, the links on http://www.hdcom.com/links.htm for HD19697 say they only do
    14dBi gain which is what the Linksys booster does. Wouldn't that make these ok?
    Whom would I contact to find out, FCC? I'm not sure I trust what a vendor would
    say when trying to sell me a product?

    BTW, I appreciate your responses. I'll also try posting in the other group
    recommended by Walter.

    Brian Bergin, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Brian Bergin

    Brian Bergin, Jan 21, 2004