802.11 policy - preferred networks problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZXdhbGxpZw==?=, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    W2K3 native domain using Group Policy-based wireless policies. Clients are
    modern XPSP2 clients using WZC on 3Com OfficeConnect USB-based wireless
    adapters. APs are 3Com 7250's using WPA / AES / 802.1x-RADIUS w/ EAP-TLS and
    the SSID is in non-broadcast mode. When intially configured, clients pick up
    policy settings from GP including preferred networks, 802.1x, EAP settings,
    etc and connectivity is fine.

    However, at seemingly random intervals, wireless clients that are powered
    down (overnight, for example) lose their preferred networks and EAP settings
    upon powering up. They cannot connect after that and typically require
    connection to a hard link and a GP refresh to get the settings back. The
    "refreshed" client might work for a couple more days or a week and then dump
    it's settings again.

    I do not have any wireless policies set at a higher OU than the container
    for these clients and I've verified that the GPO should be applied to the
    clients (via RSOP and using gpupdate) so I'm a bit stumped.

    Any ideas as to why the settings keep getting lost? I'm starting to think
    that I will need to use the Odyssey client to ensure that these LOB clients
    are always available (which is a bit discouraging).

    Thanks...

    =?Utf-8?B?ZXdhbGxpZw==?=, Nov 15, 2006

  2. I'm not sure where are these GP settings stored,
    but try the following:
    Save contents of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces
    when the GP profile is updated and good,
    and compare to what is there when the profile is lost.
    Search the vevent log for any relevant messages.

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Nov 16, 2006