    intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
    e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.

    Ern'

    ernie entwhistle, Feb 12, 2004

  2. ernie entwhistle

    chip_y2kuk Guest

    "ernie entwhistle" <> wrote in message
    news:c0gurh$aa1$...
    > On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
    > "Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
    > As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
    > intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
    > e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.

    I think you will find the Board your using has an incompatible IDE cable
    this usually happens on motherboards that reguire and ship with certain IDE
    cables and you use a generic IDE cable it throws up this error. But i might
    be wrong!!.

    chip_y2kuk, Feb 12, 2004

  3. ernie entwhistle

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:31:23 -0000, ernie entwhistle wrote:

    >On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
    >"Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."

    Assuming on the system , which you didn't mention mobo type/model or
    even BIOS version, that the IDE cable settings are set to Auto and not
    80 when you are using a 40way cable. You didn't mention that either or
    even the hard disk type, it is an ATA 100/133 device?

    > As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
    >intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
    >e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.

    Swap with a known good cable.
    Check BIOS settings.
    That it's a ATA100/133 disk.
    Don't mix CDROM or other non ATA100/133 device on same cable.

    >Ern'

    Me

    why?, Feb 12, 2004
  4. ernie entwhistle

    Unk Guest

    All the newer drives are using the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables
    for increased speed. They will still work with 40 conductor, but not as
    fast.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

    Unk, Feb 12, 2004
  5. ernie entwhistle

    ICee Guest

    ernie entwhistle wrote:
    > On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
    > "Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
    > As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
    > intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a
    > clue. e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.
    >
    > Ern'

    Disk drives that have UDMA enabled require a 80 conductor, 40 pin IDE
    cable. The error is telling you you need to replace the 40 conductor
    cable with a 80 conductor cable.

    ICee, Feb 12, 2004
  6. ernie entwhistle

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    <>,wrote:

    >On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
    >"Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
    > As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
    >intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
    >e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.
    >
    >Ern'

    Install an 80 conductor ribbon.

    Meat-->Plow, Feb 13, 2004