    BFG65 Guest

    I was given a new LG4160B burner for xmas. I just tied it in using the standard cable that I already had in my system. All functions seem to work as far as burning. When I boot I get the 80 conductor cable missing message but it works anyways. What is the advantage to using this cable and will my older cd burner have any issues if I swap them out?

    PS, first time using newsgroups and I hope I have done this right.

    BFG65, Dec 27, 2004

  2. BFG65 wrote:

    > I was given a new LG4160B burner for xmas. I just tied it in using the
    > standard cable that I already had in my system. All functions seem to work
    > as far as burning. When I boot I get the 80 conductor cable missing
    > message but it works anyways. What is the advantage to using this cable
    > and will my older cd burner have any issues if I swap them out?

    Actually most cd/dvd burners only use udma modes up to 33 MHz, but you
    should look at the specifications. Higher udma modes (3 ...6, 66-133 MHz)
    require the use of a 80wire (still has 40 pins, but "shielded" by ground
    wires in between) cable to prevent crosstalk.
    If you intend to install another harddrive on that cable, you may surely
    exchange it. Your older cd burner won't notice the difference.

    > PS, first time using newsgroups and I hope I have done this right.

    All came fine, except you might want to "mung" your email address to prevent
    getting flooded by spam or use a service like that available at
    www.spamgourmet.com.

    Just as you are asking for criticism ... I don't know much about grabit, but
    isn't it possible to put a standard "signature delimiter" '-- ' - two
    dashes and !important! a whitespace at the end of the line - before the
    advertising that's introduced by grabit?
    That would make it easy for other newsreaders to strip the signature upon
    replying :)

    Good Luck!
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 27, 2004