    But then the unthinkable happens ...

    Read This Full Article At:
    http://www.3min-reports.com/8-tips.html
    Info Dude, Nov 7, 2006

  2. On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:49:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Info Dude
    <> wrote:

    >8 Tips for Protecting a Digital Camera's Memory Card
    >
    >It's Monday evening, you've made it through the first day back into
    >your routine after a much needed and memorable vacation. You pull out
    >the memory card from your digital camera thinking you'll download the
    >photographs that record the spectacular sights, reunions with seldom
    >seen loved ones, and memorable events that you experienced in the
    >previous days.
    >
    >But then the unthinkable happens ...

    The unthinkable all ready has. One can get away using only a single memory
    card without some other storage device while on vacation? What a concept!
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 7, 2006

  3. Info Dude wrote:
    > 8 Tips for Protecting a Digital Camera's Memory Card
    >
    > It's Monday evening, you've made it through the first day back into
    > your routine after a much needed and memorable vacation. You pull out
    > the memory card from your digital camera thinking you'll download the
    > photographs that record the spectacular sights, reunions with seldom
    > seen loved ones, and memorable events that you experienced in the
    > previous days.
    >
    > But then the unthinkable happens ...
    >

    > Read This Full Article At:
    > http://www.3min-reports.com/8-tips.html

    One of the worst articles I ever read. For starters, the user should be
    cautioned that likely nothing is lost, and should forbear any further
    use of the card until the images are recovered. He should then be
    directed to various sources for image recovery software.

    I just retrieved 64 images from a Lexar II (40X) card using Lexar's own
    software released in 2003 for Mac OSX. It worked, and these were RAW
    images from a 5D, barely on Canon's drawing boards when Lexar released
    this recovery software.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Info Dude

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Info Dude" <> wrote in message
    >8 Tips for Protecting a Digital Camera's Memory Card
    >
    > It's Monday evening, you've made it through the first day back into
    > your routine after a much needed and memorable vacation. You pull out
    > the memory card from your digital camera thinking you'll download the
    > photographs that record the spectacular sights, reunions with seldom
    > seen loved ones, and memorable events that you experienced in the
    > previous days.
    >
    > But then the unthinkable happens ...
    >

    > Read This Full Article At:
    > http://www.3min-reports.com/8-tips.html

    So I guess it's OK to expose them to static electricity jolts? :)

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Info Dude

    nailer Guest

    typical female observation of technical issues.

    next day she will have 8 tips - how not to sprinkle a washing powder
    all over the place,

    On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:49:55 GMT, Info Dude <>

    nailer, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Info Dude

    Martin Brown Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Info Dude wrote:
    > > 8 Tips for Protecting a Digital Camera's Memory Card
    > >
    > > It's Monday evening, you've made it through the first day back into
    > > your routine after a much needed and memorable vacation. You pull out
    > > the memory card from your digital camera thinking you'll download the
    > > photographs that record the spectacular sights, reunions with seldom
    > > seen loved ones, and memorable events that you experienced in the
    > > previous days.
    > >
    > > But then the unthinkable happens ...

    The blind leading the blind. Not a good combination...

    > > Read This Full Article At:
    > > http://www.3min-reports.com/8-tips.html

    It fails to mention getting greasy fingerprints or dirt on the exposed
    contacts of SD and similar cards (one of the more common mistakes made
    by the hamfisted). It doesn't cause immediate failure, but it can set
    in train corrosion or oxidation that may eventually cause trouble.

    Also suggesting "move" images to the PC is potentially dangerous. That
    is normally done by the OS as a copy and then delete. You should never
    delete anything until you absolutely have to!

    Copy them to the PC and then verify. Meaning do a slideshow that opens
    each one in turn. It is all too easy to have a failure mode where only
    the headers (ie the IE directory preview images) are OK but the main
    image is ruined. Only when you are sure that all the images on your PC
    are good is it safe to delete the old card. And it makes sense if you
    can to operate a grandfather, father, son media rotation so that you
    only zap your oldest images.

    Images on a PC hard disk are still not secure until they have been
    backed up!

    > One of the worst articles I ever read. For starters, the user should be
    > cautioned that likely nothing is lost, and should forbear any further
    > use of the card until the images are recovered. He should then be
    > directed to various sources for image recovery software.

    And never let recovery software modify the original media if you really
    want to get the data back (no reputable recovery software should do
    this - they should work on a copied binary image of the failed
    removable media). That way you don't lost any of the clues that more
    sophisticated techniques than basic file recovery can use.

    > I just retrieved 64 images from a Lexar II (40X) card using Lexar's own
    > software released in 2003 for Mac OSX. It worked, and these were RAW
    > images from a 5D, barely on Canon's drawing boards when Lexar released
    > this recovery software.

    File recovery is always the first thing to try (although a certain well
    known common consumer brand of generic file recovery does an
    exceptionally bad job on digicam JPEG images with one particular header
    format). Most dedicated image recovery programs will get back all but
    the most damaged files (and some of them can still be fixed if cost is
    no object).

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Info Dude

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 8 Nov 2006 02:10:24 -0800, "Martin Brown"
    <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >File recovery is always the first thing to try (although a certain well
    >known common consumer brand of generic file recovery does an
    >exceptionally bad job on digicam JPEG images with one particular header
    >format). Most dedicated image recovery programs will get back all but
    >the most damaged files (and some of them can still be fixed if cost is
    >no object).

    Are you a politician?
    Such statements are worse than useless, because they offer nothing
    other than FUD.
    If you want to make such accusations, be upfront and name names, and
    tell *why* you believe the accusations.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Info Dude

    Bill Funk Guest

    wrote:

    >8 Tips for Protecting a Digital Camera's Memory Card
    >
    >It's Monday evening, you've made it through the first day back into
    >your routine after a much needed and memorable vacation. You pull out
    >the memory card from your digital camera thinking you'll download the
    >photographs that record the spectacular sights, reunions with seldom
    >seen loved ones, and memorable events that you experienced in the
    >previous days.
    >
    >But then the unthinkable happens ...

    Don't expose memory cards to direct sunlight?
    We need a changing bag to load a card???
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 8, 2006