    300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.

    The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no brainer,
    but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise tho.

    K T T, Jun 25, 2004

  2. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:59:09 +1200, "K T T" <>
    wrote:

    >Looking at the range of new 8 megapixel cameras (Sony F828, Nikon coolpix
    >8700, Canon powershot etc), it is stunning to find the Nikon D70 and Canon
    >300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.
    >
    >The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no brainer,
    >but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise tho.

    The reviews on the 8s suggest there is much more aberration at these
    higher pixel counts, with the 5s and 6s coming in with much better
    quality images

    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
    Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

    Not That Kerry, Jun 25, 2004

  3. In article <cbgpd3$6ur$>, says...
    > Looking at the range of new 8 megapixel cameras (Sony F828, Nikon coolpix
    > 8700, Canon powershot etc), it is stunning to find the Nikon D70 and Canon
    > 300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.
    >
    > The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no brainer,
    > but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise tho.

    Prices of the SLRs have dropped significantlly and they are worth
    considering, they tend to have bigger chips than the fixed lens cameras.

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 25, 2004
  4. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:59:09 +1200, "K T T" <> wrote:

    >Looking at the range of new 8 megapixel cameras (Sony F828, Nikon coolpix
    >8700, Canon powershot etc), it is stunning to find the Nikon D70 and Canon
    >300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.
    >
    >The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no brainer,
    >but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise tho.

    The Sony F828 is a Crap Camera, go read the reviews, the camera has a great
    design, but falls down on some picture quality and Picture Noise and that was
    very bad.

    Yes I have 2 Sony Cameras a F717 & a W1

    They put 8 Mpx in the same size CCD, that cause lots of problems..

    Here is a NEW Review or Info on 5 x 8mpx cameras..

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/mp8zoom/index.html

    4 of the Top review sites.

    http://www.dpreview.com/

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/

    http://www.dcresource.com/

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 25, 2004
  5. K T T

    MarkH Guest

    "K T T" <> wrote in

    > Looking at the range of new 8 megapixel cameras (Sony F828, Nikon
    > coolpix 8700, Canon powershot etc), it is stunning to find the Nikon
    > D70 and Canon 300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.
    >
    > The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no
    > brainer, but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise
    > tho.

    As a Canon 10D user I have to agree.

    The 8MPix cameras have noticeably more noise at ISO 400 than my 10D has at
    ISO 1600.

    Not everyone finds a D-SLR suits them, but they do have many advantages.

    D-SLR Disadvantages:
    * Price (especially if you get hooked and add lenses)
    * Size
    * Weight
    * No option to compose with the LCD

    D-SLR Advantages:
    * Larger sensor allows lower noise at higher ISO (e.g. my 10D pictures have
    less noise at ISO 1600 then my old camera had at ISO 320)
    * Ability to change lenses (I have not yet spent a lot on lenses but can
    cover a range of 29-480mm (effective lengths compared to 35mm) and have one
    image stabilised lens and one with f1.8)
    * True optical TTL viewfinder (works well in any light)
    * Zoom and Manual focus with proper manual twist rings
    * Fast AF (Faster than any P&S digicam I know of)
    * Low shutter lag
    * Low shot to shot lag
    * Pro look and feel
    * No gimmicky digital zoom (complete waste of time)
    * Option to use DoF creatively

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jun 26, 2004
  6. K T T

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cbgpd3$6ur$>, says...
    > > Looking at the range of new 8 megapixel cameras (Sony F828, Nikon

    coolpix
    > > 8700, Canon powershot etc), it is stunning to find the Nikon D70 and

    Canon
    > > 300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.
    > >
    > > The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no

    brainer,
    > > but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise tho.

    > Prices of the SLRs have dropped significantlly and they are worth
    > considering, they tend to have bigger chips than the fixed lens cameras.

    Makes sense.
    If they've been dropped a few times they should be a lot cheaper.
    I wouldn't want a damaged one myself.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 26, 2004
  7. K T T

    geezer Guest

    "K T T" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at the range of new 8 megapixel cameras (Sony F828, Nikon coolpix
    > 8700, Canon powershot etc), it is stunning to find the Nikon D70 and Canon
    > 300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.
    >
    > The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no brainer,
    > but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise tho.

    Depends what you want from a camera.

    I have an old Canon SLR, a versatile basic model which is still operating
    immaculately after 30 years.

    I have recently purchased a Sony DSC 10.

    At 5 megapixels it is actually more than I need for snap shots in amateur
    use, but the other features... up to 90 minutes video with sound... and the
    ability to shoot a range of shots with untold storage on a 128mg card, the
    ability to shoot a low count Jpeg for email at the same time as a second
    higher resolution shot, and the ease of downloading onto my hard drive, and
    weighing next to nothing while the old TLb weighs in at 34 kg (after a day)
    guess which one goes on holiday with me?

    geezer, Jun 26, 2004
  8. > Not everyone finds a D-SLR suits them, but they do have many advantages.

    > D-SLR Advantages:
    > * Larger sensor allows lower noise at higher ISO (e.g. my 10D pictures

    have
    > less noise at ISO 1600 then my old camera had at ISO 320)
    > * Ability to change lenses (I have not yet spent a lot on lenses but can
    > cover a range of 29-480mm (effective lengths compared to 35mm) and have

    one
    > image stabilised lens and one with f1.8)
    > * True optical TTL viewfinder (works well in any light)
    > * Zoom and Manual focus with proper manual twist rings
    > * Fast AF (Faster than any P&S digicam I know of)
    > * Low shutter lag
    > * Low shot to shot lag
    > * Pro look and feel
    > * No gimmicky digital zoom (complete waste of time)
    > * Option to use DoF creatively

    I haven't bought a digital SLR YET. The price of bodies is coming down
    quickly, but is still not at the point where I want to invest. Basically
    I've got a nice set of Nikon prime and zoom AF lenses for my N90x and there
    is no way I'm going to ditch all that superb quality glass just to get some
    naff fixed lens digital camera which will be out of date within 18 months.
    The D70 is a step in the right direction, but is not quite yet up to the
    standard I want and at the price I'm prepared to pay. I shoot a lot of
    Fujichrome Velvia which still blows digital away (about a 12 - 16 megapixil
    equivalent. Medium Format Velvia is the equivalent to about 40 megapixil!)
    Give it another couple of years though! (but until then, 35mm suits me
    fine...)

    Fortitudo Dei, Jun 26, 2004
  9. K T T

    Apteryx Guest

    "Fortitudo Dei" <> wrote in message

    > I haven't bought a digital SLR YET. The price of bodies is coming down
    > quickly, but is still not at the point where I want to invest.

    Basically
    > I've got a nice set of Nikon prime and zoom AF lenses for my N90x and

    there
    > is no way I'm going to ditch all that superb quality glass just to get

    some
    > naff fixed lens digital camera which will be out of date within 18

    months.
    > The D70 is a step in the right direction, but is not quite yet up to

    the
    > standard I want and at the price I'm prepared to pay. I shoot a lot of
    > Fujichrome Velvia which still blows digital away (about a 12 - 16

    megapixil
    > equivalent.

    Only in theory, or for professionals with unlimited money behind them.
    See http://www.borutfurlan.com/test_nikon_fuji_en.html for a comparison
    of Velvia against the Nikon D100 (same sensor as the D70). It shows
    that Velvia does record more detail than the D100, which is great if all
    you want to do is examine the slide under a microscope, but if you want
    to present it by printing or scanning, you can't retain enough of that
    detail to match the D100, unless you scan it on a $150,000 drum scanner.

    And for the 99.9% of photographers who don't want to spend $25 per roll
    of Velvia slide film, DSLRs are already well ahead. I got my D70 2
    months ago, and the cost of the shots I have taken since then would
    already be close to the price I paid for it if I had been shooting them
    on Velvia.

    My film cameras (Nikon F2AS and Nikon 35Ti) are relegated to just using
    slow B&W film, where film may still have an advantage (although after
    seeing the results of printing Velvia in the tests cited above, I am
    doubtful of being able to preserve enough of the detail recorded on
    Ilford Pan F Plus on my 30 yr old enlarger to match the D70). I may
    still run the odd roll of Velvia through my 35Ti, as its lens simply
    outclasses anything I have in my SLR system (except the 60mm 2.8D Micro
    lens, which as a 90mm equivalent on the D70 is not as versatile as the
    35 mm lens on the 35Ti).

    Now whenever I take a picture on my film cameras, I instinctively look
    at the back of the camera to check the histogram to see that it was
    correctly exposed, but of course on that primitive technology I won't
    know that until the film has been processed :)

    --
    Apteryx
    Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

    Apteryx, Jun 26, 2004
  10. K T T

    Apteryx Guest

    "K T T" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at the range of new 8 megapixel cameras (Sony F828, Nikon

    coolpix
    > 8700, Canon powershot etc), it is stunning to find the Nikon D70 and

    Canon
    > 300D digital SLR's only slightly dearer.
    >
    > The picture taking ability and quality of the SLRs makes it a no

    brainer,
    > but I suppose the Sony PR people will convince you otherwise tho.

    I haven't tried any of the new 8MP compacts myself, but from the reviews
    it does seem that in moving from 4 or 5 to 8MP without increasing the
    size of the sensor, the manufacturors have crossed some sort of line
    where increased noise resulting from the smaller pixels crowded closer
    together, more than outweighs the benefit of increased resolution from
    having more pixels.

    For those looking for fixed lens cameras, the 4 or 5MP cameras look like
    the better bet, until the manufacturors increase the size of the sensor
    (but that would require them to increase the size, weight, and cost of
    the lens, negating those advantages that they presently have over the
    dSLRs)

    Apteryx, Jun 26, 2004
  11. K T T

    RG Guest

    I have a Sony F828. A lot of the comments in the reviews are correct.
    However it is a good camera from being easy to hold and operate
    intuitively, the zoom lens is very versatile and the body rotating around
    the lens allows very easy and accurate shooting over the heads of
    spectators/obstructions and also shots close to the ground. It will shoot up
    to seven frames in burst mode which is very useful for sports, however at
    larger size shots the transfer time is annoying as the buffers clear. It
    does have a lot of features (possibly too many) and often it is easier to
    operate it in "default" mode plus a few standard settings and concentrate on
    getting the shot/action correct. It doesn't like shooting into reflected
    light and you need to be very aware of the sun/light when you are taking the
    shot - the auto settings will only do only a limited amount. The eyepiece
    viewfinder as well as the screen viewfinder option is excellent, as is the
    ability to carry both a memorystick and compact flash. It is annoying that
    neither are supplied with the camera.

    In short the basics are very good, the finer points of the technology (if
    you use these) may need refinement.You can get good price reductions by
    shopping around.

    RG

    RG, Jun 26, 2004
  12. K T T

    DonB Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:06:35 +1200, "Fortitudo Dei"
    <> wrote:

    I too have an excellent film SLR system, which I will never get rid
    of, but it's gathering dust, just because the digital is so damned
    convenient.
    A question: have you scanned your better resolution film SLR photos
    into your pc? And if so, how do they compare with your digital quality
    images, after the losses?
    Don

    DonB, Jun 26, 2004
  13. K T T

    Robert Cooze Guest

    DonB wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:06:35 +1200, "Fortitudo Dei"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > I too have an excellent film SLR system, which I will never get rid
    > of, but it's gathering dust, just because the digital is so damned
    > convenient.
    > A question: have you scanned your better resolution film SLR photos
    > into your pc? And if so, how do they compare with your digital quality
    > images, after the losses?
    > Don
    >

    >>I haven't bought a digital SLR YET. The price of bodies is coming down
    >>quickly, but is still not at the point where I want to invest. Basically
    >>I've got a nice set of Nikon prime and zoom AF lenses for my N90x and there
    >>is no way I'm going to ditch all that superb quality glass just to get some
    >>naff fixed lens digital camera which will be out of date within 18 months.
    >>The D70 is a step in the right direction, but is not quite yet up to the
    >>standard I want and at the price I'm prepared to pay. I shoot a lot of
    >>Fujichrome Velvia which still blows digital away (about a 12 - 16 megapixil
    >>equivalent. Medium Format Velvia is the equivalent to about 40 megapixil!)
    >>Give it another couple of years though! (but until then, 35mm suits me
    >>fine...)

    When I scan a 8x12 beets most digital cameras touch wood (RGB 1200 dpi)
    the source 35mm negative was a 100 asa taken with a 50mm f1.4 prime lense

    Robert Cooze, Jun 26, 2004