    --
    Terry
    Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

    Terry, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Terry

    dragon1964 Guest

    Because in versions prior to CS, most of the tools are disabled in 16bit
    mode.

    "Terry" <> wrote in message
    > In Photoshop you can click on Image>Mode>8 Bits/Channel or 16

    Bits/Channel.

    dragon1964, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Terry

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 20-Jan-2004, "Terry" <> wrote:

    > In Photoshop you can click on Image>Mode>8 Bits/Channel or 16
    > Bits/Channel.
    > Why not always select 16 Bits/channel? Won't this give you more accurate
    > color?

    A qualified yes on the more accurate color.

    Why not:
    Many file formats don't support 16 bits/color (jpeg)
    The files are twice as big
    Prior to CS, many PS tools didn't work in 16 bits/color
    Many other image manipulation programs don't work with 16 bits/color images

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com

    Tom Thackrey, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Terry

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    If the picture is not already in 16 bpc colour, converting it will do
    nothing for the picture at all. If you scan or have a digital that uses a
    more colour depth, then use 16 bpc. Be sure to convrt to 8 bpc either after
    colour correction or before printing. 16 bit images have limitations even
    with the new Photoshop CS, and if you let the printer program do the
    conversion to 8 bit it will probably do a very poor job of it.
    Any image for the web must be in 8 bits before it can be made into a jpg.
    While you probably can send 16bpc channel images to others, they would be
    very large, and the people you send it to would need a program that supports
    16 bits to use the image.
    You won't see any difference between 8 and 16 bits on your monitor (save
    with a couple very expensive graphics monitors) so there is little point in
    sending that way - unless the person recieving the image is going to colour
    correct it.
    Here is an article on using high bit images:
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/digi/mhibit.html
    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Terry

    Flycaster Guest

    "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    >16 bit images have limitations even
    > with the new Photoshop CS, and if you let the printer program do the
    > conversion to 8 bit it will probably do a very poor job of it.

    [snip]

    In the case of PS, not true. PS has a built-in fail-safe (as it does when
    it won't allow you to double convert to the same profile or working space.)

    They will look exactly the same (I've tried it ~ by mistake) since, as Chris
    Cox explained, PS just dithers to 8 bit prior to sending the file to the
    printer. In other programs that are high-bit capable, however, you may be
    right.

    Flycaster, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Terry

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I think it will also depend on the printer.

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 21, 2004