7dayshop custom duty UK!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by samsung, May 8, 2004.

  1. samsung

    samsung Guest

    I've never paid duty etc on any order from 7dayshop...

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    news:qXlnc.2$pe.0@newsfe1-win...
    > I was considering ordering a digital camera from 7dayshop, but noticed

    that

    Chris, May 9, 2004

  3. samsung

    Andrew Guest

    On Sun, 9 May 2004 09:28:23 +0100, "Chris" <>
    wrote:

    >I was considering ordering a digital camera from 7dayshop, but noticed that
    >the order might be liable for custom duty if sent to the UK.
    >Is this correct? and if so, any idea how much duty is charged?

    VAT is 17.5%.

    Andrew, May 9, 2004
  4. samsung

    dylan Guest

    I believe duty is 4% and VAT is 17.5%

    dylan, May 9, 2004
  5. samsung

    Trader1 Guest

    You may consider doing a UK price search (at least quoting UK suppliers -
    not Pixmania), printing off the offers and going into Jessops. They will
    pricematch, you get a UK spec camera on the day you want it without
    liability for duty or tax.

    Try Kelkoo.co.uk

    Trader1, May 9, 2004
  6. samsung

    bagal Guest

    Is this true? Will Jessops pricematch 7dayshop.com?

    Cameras, memory & bits n bobs?

    Look out Jessops - here I come money in my mitts :)

    The bagal

    bagal, May 9, 2004
  7. samsung

    Trader1 Guest

    Maybe not 7DayShop - they did in my case but I understand later that they
    may have been over zealous to get the sale. Worth a shot though.

    Trader1, May 9, 2004
  8. samsung

    RustY © Guest

    "bagal" <> wrote in message
    > Is this true? Will Jessops pricematch 7dayshop.com?
    >
    > Cameras, memory & bits n bobs?

    Yes - but....... Only on the Exact item. Often 7day memory is not stocked
    at Jessups.

    RustY ©, May 9, 2004
  9. samsung

    Pedro Guest

    I have bought many things from 7dayshop.com and I have never had to pay vat
    of duty. I have been very happy with them.
    Pedro

    Pedro, May 9, 2004
  10. samsung

    Maurice Guest

    On Sun, 9 May 2004 10:09:15 +0100, "Trader1"
    <> wrote:

    >You may consider doing a UK price search (at least quoting UK suppliers -
    >not Pixmania), printing off the offers and going into Jessops. They will

    Why exclude Pixmania???

    --
    Maurice
    remove DOT for email

    Maurice, May 10, 2004
  11. samsung

    Trader1 Guest

    Not UK based and Jessops require that.

    Trader1, May 10, 2004
  12. samsung

    David Guest

    I'll have my penneth- worth!
    Don't buy from Pixmania - based in France - usually Europe spec - not Uk
    spec specific.
    dave

    David, May 10, 2004
  13. samsung

    Dr Fish Guest

    "bagal" <> wrote in message
    : Is this true? Will Jessops pricematch 7dayshop.com?
    :
    : Cameras, memory & bits n bobs?
    :
    : Look out Jessops - here I come money in my mitts :)
    :
    : The bagal

    I got them to match on www.buyacamera.co.uk no problems

    They even matched the memory from there.

    Proviso is, as said before UK based, and *in stock*

    HTH

    AJM

    Dr Fish, May 13, 2004
  14. samsung

    Rod Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 09:46:23 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

    >On Sun, 9 May 2004 09:28:23 +0100, "Chris" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I was considering ordering a digital camera from 7dayshop, but noticed that
    >>the order might be liable for custom duty if sent to the UK.
    >>Is this correct? and if so, any idea how much duty is charged?

    >VAT is 17.5%.

    Plus a handling charge by the post office (or courier)

    Basically if the value of the package is > £17.50 (I think)
    then you are liable to at least VAT. I got a replacement
    battery charger from 7 day shop - £24.99, but had to pay
    the post office a further £8 odd (VAT + £4 handling charge)
    which made it more expensive that buying in the
    UK :-(

    Rod, May 13, 2004
  15. samsung

    Barry Kelman Guest

    Just recieved a Canon Rebel from them, no vat or duty charged. I talked to
    their customer service and they advised that if you get charged vat/duty
    just refuse the camera and re-order.

    Barry Kelman, May 19, 2004