7960 IP-Phone without Call Manager

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Aung Thurein, May 13, 2004.

  1. Aung Thurein

    Aung Thurein Guest

    Dear all,

    I would like to know whether I can configure a Cisco 7960 IP phone to
    work,
    with a 3640 gateway, without the cisco call manager.

    I want to make some tests for the connection
    7960 ---> 3640 ----> POTS

    but I don't have a call manger in my test environment.

    I have already done it with
    MS Netmeeting ---> 3640 ----> POTS

    I wonder whether 7960 can act like a simple H.323 client like the
    Netmeeting software.

    Any idea, advice will be greatly appreciated.

    Aung
    Aung Thurein, May 13, 2004

  2. Aung Thurein

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I would like to know whether I can configure a Cisco 7960 IP phone to
    > work,
    > with a 3640 gateway, without the cisco call manager.
    >
    > I want to make some tests for the connection
    > 7960 ---> 3640 ----> POTS
    >
    > but I don't have a call manger in my test environment.
    >
    > I have already done it with
    > MS Netmeeting ---> 3640 ----> POTS
    >
    > I wonder whether 7960 can act like a simple H.323 client like the
    > Netmeeting software.
    >
    > Any idea, advice will be greatly appreciated.

    AFAIK, the problem is that phone needs to download software from tftp
    server to work. That means, if you have the phone software, you can set
    DHCP and TFTP server on 3640. This may work. I have never tried it, but
    it might. Other idea is to check CallManager Express if available for
    3640.

    --Ivan
    Ivan Ostres, May 13, 2004

  3. Aung Thurein

    Blaz Zupan Guest

    On 2004-05-13, Aung Thurein <> wrote:
    > I would like to know whether I can configure a Cisco 7960 IP phone to
    > work, with a 3640 gateway, without the cisco call manager.

    Not with the default firmware which is callmanager-only. If you have CCO access
    you can download the SIP firmware.

    http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960
    Blaz Zupan, May 15, 2004
  4. Aung Thurein

    Milan Parekh Guest

    Blaz Zupan <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 2004-05-13, Aung Thurein <> wrote:
    > > I would like to know whether I can configure a Cisco 7960 IP phone to
    > > work, with a 3640 gateway, without the cisco call manager.

    > Not with the default firmware which is callmanager-only. If you have CCO access
    > you can download the SIP firmware.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960

    If you are going to use the SIP firmware than you will need sip
    proxy-server. You can also try using a VoIP service such as Vonage or
    Packet8 that run SIP on their network. I know Vonage used to allow
    users with 7960 with SIP firmware to register their phones, but you
    will need to call them and see if wether they still do or not.
    Milan Parekh, May 16, 2004
  5. Aung Thurein

    SPD Guest

    Milan Parekh wrote:
    > Blaz Zupan <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>On 2004-05-13, Aung Thurein <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I would like to know whether I can configure a Cisco 7960 IP phone to
    >>>work, with a 3640 gateway, without the cisco call manager.

    >>Not with the default firmware which is callmanager-only. If you have CCO access
    >>you can download the SIP firmware.
    >>
    >>http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/sip-ip-phone7960

    > If you are going to use the SIP firmware than you will need sip
    > proxy-server. You can also try using a VoIP service such as Vonage or
    > Packet8 that run SIP on their network. I know Vonage used to allow
    > users with 7960 with SIP firmware to register their phones, but you
    > will need to call them and see if wether they still do or not.

    Only if you want the features offered by a proxy server. If you simply
    want outbound calling from IP phone to PSTN the 7960 with
    SIP, the router (with SIP) and the appropriate dialpeer statements
    will do.
    SPD, May 16, 2004
  6. Hello

    You can use ITS feature
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800ffdcc.shtml

    which will give you the ugly way of having small IP-PBX on c3640 or
    3620

    Roman

    Roman Nakhmanson, May 17, 2004