    lfnetworking Guest

    documentation doesn't say so, but, i've been told they are. would like
    to know before attempting. thanks

    lfnetworking, Jun 9, 2005

  2. lfnetworking

    Guest

    > documentation doesn't say so, but, i've been told they are. would like
    > to know before attempting. thanks

    "docmentation doesn't say so" - well don't then. Cisco docs are
    very rarely wrong. Especially about something like that.

    They are though [hot swappable] so clearly you haven't
    looked very much.

    e.g.
    Search of www.cisco.com for [pa hot swap] - top hit says:
    PA-A3 is hot swappable on Cisco 7200 routers

    I suggest that you check the docs for your particular PA
    and 7200 model.

    HINT - search with the part number.

    This though is not something that I would plan to do in production.
    I have done a bit of lab work and I have seen a few reboots on
    a hot swap. This was mostly on various Catalysts but I think that
    I have seen reloads on 7500s too.

    If you REALLY have to, shut down the interfaces on the PA first,
    stick your fingers in your ears and if possible get someone else
    to do the dirty deed:) Take care to insert and remove cleanly,
    i.e don't leave it half in and half out of the connector while you
    go for a cup of tea. Plan for it going horribly wrong. Well, a reload
    anyway.

    If you have never inserted a PA into a 7200 before, maybe this
    is not the best one to practise with. They do go in OK but it is not
    exactly as easy as changing a light bulb.

    , Jun 9, 2005

  3. * lfnetworking <_bill_@_lfnetworking.com>:
    > documentation doesn't say so, but, i've been told they are. would like
    > to know before attempting. thanks

    Yes, 7200 PAs are fully hot-swappable. I know of no exception to that.

    Best regards,
    Daniel

    Daniel Roesen, Jun 10, 2005
  4. lfnetworking

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Daniel Roesen <> writes:
    >* lfnetworking <_bill_@_lfnetworking.com>:
    >> documentation doesn't say so, but, i've been told they are. would like
    >> to know before attempting. thanks

    >Yes, 7200 PAs are fully hot-swappable. I know of no exception to that.

    I've only had a 7206 crash once or twice doing an online insertion :/

    Something can always go wrong, but they are pretty stable boxes
    otherwise, and otherwise I have done dozens of online insertions of PA cards.

    Doug McIntyre, Jun 10, 2005