    is not in the budget for the next few months.

    Thanks,
    Don
    Donald Zelenak Jr., Feb 22, 2004

  2. Donald Zelenak Jr. wrote:

    > How fast can a 7206 route packets between two GigabitEthernet interfaces?
    > Is it going to top out at a few megabits, or can I expect 100MB or even
    > faster through two GigabitEthernet interfaces?

    The answer is 'It Depends' :). In this case, on the NPE the box has. If
    it's a 7206VXR with an NPE-G1 that has the GigE port, it'll do about
    1Mpps, which is at least 500 Mbps. The NSE-100 will do even more.

    On the other hand, if it's a non-VXR 7206 with an NPE-100 (I don't even
    know offhand if that combo will even support GigE, but as
    illustration...), that tops out at a tenth of that...

    Regards,

    Marco.
    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Feb 22, 2004

  3. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:15:43 GMT, "Donald Zelenak Jr."
    <> wrote:

    >Simple question.. (I Think...)
    >
    >How fast can a 7206 route packets between two GigabitEthernet interfaces?
    >Is it going to top out at a few megabits, or can I expect 100MB or even
    >faster through two GigabitEthernet interfaces?

    As M.C. said, the NPE determines performance potential. The NPE-300
    can do about 350Mbit/sec with decent-sized packets under ideal
    conditions (CEF, no ACLs or NAT, etc). The NPE-G1 seems able to do
    upwards of 1Gbit/sec if not more, though I haven't tested it myself.

    Again, real-world traffic flows aren't so ideal so performance in a
    real network will vary, but the numbers above hopefully give you a
    general idea of what to expect.

    -Terry
    Terry Baranski, Feb 22, 2004