7204VXR or 7301 as LNS

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Aaron W, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Aaron W

    Aaron W Guest

    Hi everyone.

    I am considering buying one of these box and use it as a LNS, mainly to
    terminate, up to, ADSL 10,000 L2TP sessions. Also, with the intention of
    using gigabit ethernet for ingress and egress traffic.

    Been doing some research and narrow down the following two specs.

    Cisco 7204XVR with NPE-G1 and 512Mb RAM
    Cisco 7301 512Mb RAM

    My research seem to suggest that both box will handle up to 16,000
    session, and that the two box are pretty much the same, utilising the
    NPE-G1 engine, except the 7204VXR, which has has more slots/expansion.

    Port adaptor flexibililty is not a top priority, L2TP session is, so I
    am leaning towards the 7301.

    My question to lists is:

    1] Production network; figures on number L2TP with 256Mb RAM vs 512Mb
    RAM, and system utilisation
    2] People experiences and thoughts on 7204VXR and 7301
    3] Other Cisco product or vendors that can perform these task.
    4] Approximate cost, in Austrlian dollar ?

    Thanks.

    Aaron
    Aaron W, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Aaron W

    Peter Peters Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:05:04 +1000, Aaron W
    <noemailaddressdotsomewheredotcom> wrote:

    >I am considering buying one of these box and use it as a LNS, mainly to
    >terminate, up to, ADSL 10,000 L2TP sessions. Also, with the intention of
    >using gigabit ethernet for ingress and egress traffic.
    >
    >Been doing some research and narrow down the following two specs.
    >
    >Cisco 7204XVR with NPE-G1 and 512Mb RAM

    What do you plan to use as an ATM interface? I know you can't put more
    then one PA-A-OC3MM ATM interface in the box and that interface can't
    handle more than 2.000 connections.

    --
    Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
    Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)
    Peter Peters, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Aaron W

    Aaron W Guest

    Peter Peters wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:05:04 +1000, Aaron W
    > <noemailaddressdotsomewheredotcom> wrote:
    >

    >>I am considering buying one of these box and use it as a LNS, mainly to
    >>terminate, up to, ADSL 10,000 L2TP sessions. Also, with the intention of
    >>using gigabit ethernet for ingress and egress traffic.
    >>
    >>Been doing some research and narrow down the following two specs.
    >>
    >>Cisco 7204XVR with NPE-G1 and 512Mb RAM

    > What do you plan to use as an ATM interface? I know you can't put more
    > then one PA-A-OC3MM ATM interface in the box and that interface can't
    > handle more than 2.000 connections.

    No, will be using the ethernets for incoming L2TP and connecting to
    upstream. But, intersting to note these box limitation with PA OC3 ATM
    card.

    thx

    Regards.
    Aaron W
    Aaron W, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Aaron W

    Peter Peters Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:25:52 +1000, Aaron W
    <noemailaddressdotsomewheredotcom> wrote:

    >>>I am considering buying one of these box and use it as a LNS, mainly to
    >>>terminate, up to, ADSL 10,000 L2TP sessions. Also, with the intention of
    >>>using gigabit ethernet for ingress and egress traffic.
    >>>
    >>>Been doing some research and narrow down the following two specs.
    >>>
    >>>Cisco 7204XVR with NPE-G1 and 512Mb RAM

    >> What do you plan to use as an ATM interface? I know you can't put more
    >> then one PA-A-OC3MM ATM interface in the box and that interface can't
    >> handle more than 2.000 connections.
    >>

    >No, will be using the ethernets for incoming L2TP and connecting to
    >upstream. But, intersting to note these box limitation with PA OC3 ATM
    >card.

    The 7206XVR (So I believe the 7204XVR also) has a limitation on
    "buspoints". You can't have more then 700 buspoints per bus. The ATM
    card has 400 points and the router engine has about the same. We had to
    move the ARM card to another bus.

    Peter Peters, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Aaron W

    stephen Guest

    "Peter Peters" <> wrote in message

    of

    > >> What do you plan to use as an ATM interface? I know you can't put more
    > >> then one PA-A-OC3MM ATM interface in the box and that interface can't
    > >> handle more than 2.000 connections.
    > >>

    > >No, will be using the ethernets for incoming L2TP and connecting to
    > >upstream. But, intersting to note these box limitation with PA OC3 ATM
    > >card.

    > The 7206XVR (So I believe the 7204XVR also) has a limitation on
    > "buspoints". You can't have more then 700 buspoints per bus. The ATM
    > card has 400 points and the router engine has about the same. We had to
    > move the ARM card to another bus.

    There are 2 PCI buses, 1 for all the left hand slots and 1 for the right
    hand.

    the ports on the I/O module are logically part of 1 of the buses - never can
    remember which.

    The gig ports on the NPE-G1 dont run off the PCI bus and dont count towards
    the "bus" bandwidth totals, so this config is fine with the built in ports.

    FWIW the "points" seem to equate to Mbps over the bus (with some padding),
    allowing for a shared bus and full duplex - each bus can cope with around
    600 Mbps.

    stephen, Jul 12, 2004
  6. stephen wrote:

    > FWIW the "points" seem to equate to Mbps over the bus (with some padding),
    > allowing for a shared bus and full duplex - each bus can cope with around
    > 600 Mbps.

    Yep.

    That's why it's not that big a deal in practice to overdo the 'bandwidth
    points' on a bus, even if the box will whine about it when booting.
    It'll work fine, as long as you don't expect to get line speed out of
    the interfaces involved.

    Been there, done that.

    Regards,

    Marco.
    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Aaron W

    Peter Peters Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:27:55 +0200, "M.C. van den Bovenkamp"
    <> wrote:

    >That's why it's not that big a deal in practice to overdo the 'bandwidth
    >points' on a bus, even if the box will whine about it when booting.
    >It'll work fine, as long as you don't expect to get line speed out of
    >the interfaces involved.

    Yeah, but I don't like warnings. ;-)
    And it was easy to change the ATM card to the other bus. At least it
    seemed so but I was the one doing it and I am known to be a bit static.
    So somebody else had to remove and reseat the card after the first time.

    Peter Peters, Jul 13, 2004
  8. Peter Peters wrote:

    > Yeah, but I don't like warnings. ;-)

    :). And TAC may mutter about it if you run into problems with that box.
    They probably won't, but it's officially an 'unsupported configuration'
    (I think).

    > And it was easy to change the ATM card to the other bus. At least it
    > seemed so but I was the one doing it and I am known to be a bit static.

    Been there and done *that* too :). Grab a box...<big blue
    spark>...ooops :).

    Yeah, it's easy enough.

    Regards,

    Marco.