7204VXR and 10 gig ethernet?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Steve Pfister, Apr 8, 2014.

  1. We've got a 7204VXR router with an NPE-400 and a 1-port gigabit ethernet card, connecting to our upstream provider. We are looking into moving to a new provider on a 10 gigabit ethernet link, keeping the original connection as a backup.

    Can the 7204VXR support 10 gig ethernet? Is there enough capacity to support 10 gig ethernet and the original 1 gig ethernet?
    Steve Pfister, Apr 8, 2014

  2. Steve Pfister wrote:

    > Can the 7204VXR support 10 gig ethernet? Is there enough capacity to
    > support 10 gig ethernet and the original 1 gig ethernet?

    Do a search for routerperformance.pdf.

    According to that a 7200/NPE-400 can shift about 420 Kpps and about 521
    Mbps.

    I think the answer is I don't thnk so.

    --
    Rgds,
    Martin
    Martin Gallagher, Apr 9, 2014

  3. Steve Pfister

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <li31dv$tes$>,
    Martin Gallagher <> wrote:

    > Steve Pfister wrote:
    > >
    > > Can the 7204VXR support 10 gig ethernet? Is there enough capacity to
    > > support 10 gig ethernet and the original 1 gig ethernet?

    > Do a search for routerperformance.pdf.

    This one
    <http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/rou
    terperformance.pdf>? Last updated 2009, but the 7200 won't have changed
    since then.

    > According to that a 7200/NPE-400 can shift about 420 Kpps and about 521
    > Mbps.

    420 kpps and 215 Mbps, but that's 64-byte packets. For an idealised
    bimodal traffic distribution where half the packets are 64-bytes and the
    other half are 1500 bytes you get 2.6 Gbps.

    > I think the answer is I don't thnk so.

    I don't think you'll find a 10G interface for a 7200 anyway, even if you
    upgrade to an NPE-G2.

    <http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/7200-series-routers/releva
    nt-interfaces-and-modules.html>

    Sam

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
    Sam Wilson, Apr 9, 2014