720 Megapixels out of a Canon 10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scott Howard, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. Scott Howard

    Scott Howard Guest

    Scott Howard, Jul 30, 2006

  2. Scott Howard

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Scott Howard" <> wrote in message
    news:1154223351.168532@docbert...
    > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
    >
    > Enjoy :)
    >
    > Scott

    What other equipment did you use with the camera, tripod, panohead, etc.
    Rudy Benner, Jul 30, 2006

  3. Scott Howard

    minnesotti Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "Scott Howard" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
    > >
    > > Enjoy :)
    > >
    > > Scott

    > What other equipment did you use with the camera, tripod, panohead, etc.

    He used boat.
    minnesotti, Jul 30, 2006
  4. Scott Howard

    Jim Townsend Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > Rudy Benner wrote:
    >> "Scott Howard" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
    >> >
    >> > Enjoy :)
    >> >
    >> > Scott

    >> What other equipment did you use with the camera, tripod, panohead, etc.

    > He used boat.

    I'm assuming the boat moved a bit during the sequence.. I'm really
    interested in the stitching program. Considering there was movement, it
    sure did a great job.
    Jim Townsend, Jul 30, 2006
  5. Scott Howard

    Scott Howard Guest

    Rudy Benner <> wrote:
    > > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight

    > What other equipment did you use with the camera, tripod, panohead, etc.

    If you click on the info link at the bottom it will give most of the
    details. The tripod isn't mentioned - it was just a Manfrotto 190/141
    combo.

    Scott
    Scott Howard, Jul 30, 2006
  6. Scott Howard

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:49:59 -0500, Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    >minnesotti wrote:

    >> Rudy Benner wrote:
    >>> "Scott Howard" <> wrote in message

    >>> What other equipment did you use with the camera, tripod, panohead, etc.

    >> He used boat.

    >I'm assuming the boat moved a bit during the sequence.. I'm really
    >interested in the stitching program. Considering there was movement, it
    >sure did a great job.

    I figured it was taken from an island or other land mass.
    AZ Nomad, Jul 30, 2006
  7. Scott Howard

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:49:59 -0500, Jim Townsend <> wrote:
    >

    >>minnesotti wrote:

    >>> He used boat.

    >>I'm assuming the boat moved a bit during the sequence.. I'm really
    >>interested in the stitching program. Considering there was movement, it
    >>sure did a great job.

    > I figured it was taken from an island or other land mass.

    Considering the distance at which the camera was from the subjects, parallax
    would surely not be a major problem.

    Very amazing.

    720 Mpixels and 169 frames works out to about 4.26 megapixels per frame. I
    do not know the resolution of the Canon 10d, knowing that would enable me to
    calculate the approximate overlap of the frames.

    Also amazing is the Zoomify software used after the stitching.

    I am of the opinion that PTGui does a better job than Autopano.

    I too, am facinated by panoramas. Great fun.
    Rudy Benner, Jul 30, 2006
  8. Scott Howard

    minnesotti Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:49:59 -0500, Jim Townsend <> wrote:
    >

    > >minnesotti wrote:

    > >> He used boat.

    > >I'm assuming the boat moved a bit during the sequence.. I'm really
    > >interested in the stitching program. Considering there was movement, it
    > >sure did a great job.

    > I figured it was taken from an island or other land mass.

    Most likely. It is called Milson's Point.
    minnesotti, Jul 30, 2006
  9. Scott Howard

    Tony Rice Guest

    Tony Rice, Jul 31, 2006
  10. Scott Howard

    Brad Sims Guest

    In Dread Ink, the Grave hand of Tony Rice Did Inscribe:
    > Scott Howard <> wrote in news:1154223351.168532
    > @docbert:
    >
    >> http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight

    > Zoomify is a great little application. works great with mosaics too.
    >
    > http://rtphokie.org/dis/

    For my panos I have been using autostitch.
    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

    Free, works well, and runs under wine on Linux. No futzing around
    required, simply point it a directory and grab a beer. Done.

    Autostitch has been licenced by ILM and
    * Autopano Pro www.autopano.net
    * Serif PanoramaPlus2 www.serif.com
    * Calico www.kekus.com (Mac OS X)

    --
    "From my cold dead hands, my ass. I'll be taking their issue weapons
    from their cold dead hands. I fight to win.
    Brad Sims, Jul 31, 2006
  11. Scott Howard

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    I just don't see what people see in AutoStitch other than it is free. Their
    sample images suck. The first one on the page has a guy in a red shirt it is
    totally messed up in the stitched image, but not in the original image. The
    panoramas are blurry, not just soft but blurry. I guess if your too cheap to
    get something good free crap is better than nothing.

    As for ILM, you can bet they aren't using it as is.

    Hebee Jeebes, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Scott Howard

    Tony Rice Guest

    "Hebee Jeebes" <> wrote in

    > I just don't see what people see in AutoStitch other than it is free.
    > Their sample images suck. The first one on the page has a guy in a red
    > shirt it is totally messed up in the stitched image, but not in the
    > original image. The panoramas are blurry, not just soft but blurry. I
    > guess if your too cheap to get something good free crap is better than
    > nothing.
    >
    > As for ILM, you can bet they aren't using it as is.

    I prefer the stiching software that comes with Canon cameras over
    AutoStitch.
    Tony Rice, Jul 31, 2006
  13. Scott Howard

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    I like PTGui. Panorama Factory would be a good choice if it did vertical.
    panoramas and tiled ones.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 1, 2006
  14. What amazes me is the consistency of your exposure settings spread out
    over 169 exposures taken over 52 mimutes. Does Autopano Pro have
    anything to do with the matching process?

    silverthreads, Aug 1, 2006
  15. Wouldn't he set the exposure on the first shot, lock it in and then shoot
    the rest? That's what I do with my Nikon 5700.
    Richard Tomkins, Aug 2, 2006
  16. Scott Howard

    Scott Howard Guest

    Richard Tomkins <> wrote:
    > Wouldn't he set the exposure on the first shot, lock it in and then shoot
    > the rest? That's what I do with my Nikon 5700.

    That's exactly what he did - for both exposure and focus.

    The focus was based on the lower AMP logo on the left hand side. This is
    about 1200 metres away from where the photos were taken, which gives a
    depth of field from about 600 metres to infinity, which puts everything
    in focus.

    The exposure was done with a bit of trial-and-error, keeping depth of
    field in mind - the details of what was finally used are on the website.

    Scott
    Scott Howard, Aug 2, 2006
  17. Scott Howard

    Petri Lopia Guest

    Petri Lopia, Aug 20, 2006
  18. Scott Howard

    Tim Guest

    In article <>,
    Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

    > On 2006-07-30, Scott Howard <> wrote:
    > > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
    > >
    > > Enjoy :)

    > Great shot and nice way to show it on website =)
    > Are you sure that there is enough megapixels? ;-)

    Nice image. I also like the navigation tool at the bottom and the
    ability to move through the image. Who makes that navigation tool?
    Tim, Aug 20, 2006
  19. Scott Howard

    Petri Lopia Guest

    On 2006-08-20, Tim <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2006-07-30, Scott Howard <> wrote:
    >> > http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight
    >> >
    >> > Enjoy :)

    >> Great shot and nice way to show it on website =)
    >> Are you sure that there is enough megapixels? ;-)

    > Nice image. I also like the navigation tool at the bottom and the
    > ability to move through the image. Who makes that navigation tool?

    There was quick notice about "zoomify" before that photo & navigation
    loaded so probably it's Zoomify what makes that tool:
    http://www.zoomify.com/

    --
    Petri Lopia :: lid
    StormChasing/Myrskynbongaus etc. Lightnings/Salamoita yms.
    Petri Lopia, Aug 20, 2006
  20. Scott Howard

    Petri Lopia Guest

    On 2006-08-20, Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:
    > On 2006-08-20, Tim <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Petri Lopia <petri.lopia@EISPAMMIA_kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

    >>> Great shot and nice way to show it on website =)
    >>> Are you sure that there is enough megapixels? ;-)

    >> Nice image. I also like the navigation tool at the bottom and the
    >> ability to move through the image. Who makes that navigation tool?

    > There was quick notice about "zoomify" before that photo & navigation
    > loaded so probably it's Zoomify what makes that tool:
    > http://www.zoomify.com/

    Yep. It was that =) I did quick and small test with that:
    http://www.petrilopia.net/birds/

    It's too small photo I know...

    Petri Lopia, Aug 20, 2006