71-621 : UPG: Upgrading your MCDST Certification to MCITP Enterpri

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Confused in NY, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Did anyone here get this invite?? I have no idea how to prepare for this beta
    exam??? Any ideas??

    Confused in NY, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Confused in NY

    jtkmvaz Guest

    Yes I just got it today. I checked the Preparation Guide
    but that just refers to online resources.

    jtkmvaz, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Hi! Yeah, I got an invite as well, just an hour ago. What is confusing is
    the availability time - in the e-mail it says " Beta exam period runs:
    December 20, 2006 - January 5, 2007" , but on MS website -
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-621.mspx "Exam 70-621 will be
    available in a beta release from December 20, 2006 through January 12,
    2007." Well, I mean I might try to get ready for second week of January next
    year, but it is impossible to do it any earlier. I haven`t even Installed
    Vista yet. :(
    Everything U can find on MS websites regarding Vista is useful to read I
    guess: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/default.aspx
    Also found few books on Amazon, but they were released a few months ago,
    therefore not too sure how relevant is that info in them. Nothing on EBay
    and couldn't find any eBooks for download... :(
    My guess is as good as yours! :D

    Martins Lorencis, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Confused in NY

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi confused,

    Congratulations on being invited! Beta exams are great - basically a free
    kick at the can, never mind that you get to see it before everyone else!
    Those are the advantages. The two disadvantages that I see are:

    1. There is usually no study material available; and
    2. Unlike regular exams you do not get to find out how you did until much
    later.

    Having said that, it costs you nothing but a couple of hours. If you know
    Vista well you should pass. I am registered to take that exam on December
    22nd, since I am busy from now until then. Good luck!

    Montreal MCT, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Confused in NY

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Martins,

    You are not going to like this answer, but the truth is if you have not been
    working with it, you won't pass the exam. There just is not any study
    material available, and the only thing you will have to rely on is your
    experience and familiarity with the program.

    Good luck though!

    Montreal MCT, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Confused in NY

    Ray Frangie Guest

    Re: 71-621 : UPG: Upgrading your MCDST Certification to MCITP Ente

    Hi,

    I just booked mine in now for Dec 22 @ 12pm here in Sydney Aust.

    Struggling to find materials as well, although I've been using Vista and
    Office 2007 since Beta 2 Days, so I hope that helps.

    Having a look at the Skills Measured on the MS Website, defines 2 x
    E-Learning Courses, but there's nothing in the E-Learning Catalog
    representing these exams...

    I guess we'll just have to rely on our current skills with Windows Vista,
    and read up on Technet...

    Anyone else got any other Tips?

    Cheers,
    Ray

    Ray Frangie, Dec 9, 2006
  7. Re: 71-621 : UPG: Upgrading your MCDST Certification to MCITP Ente

    If I don't pass(GOD FORBID), will this beta exam show on my transcript?

    Oklahoma City MCP, Dec 9, 2006
  8. Confused in NY

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Re: 71-621 : UPG: Upgrading your MCDST Certification to MCITP Ente

    Hi Oklahoma,

    No, failed exams (beta or otherwise) do not appear on your MCP transcript.

    "Oklahoma City MCP" <Oklahoma City > wrote in
    message news:...

    Montreal MCT, Dec 9, 2006
  9. I received mine today as well. I scheduled it for January 5, 2007.
    Montreal is correct guys. If you received an invitation, take advantage
    of it. I was able to with two exams (70-270 and 70-218). I passed both
    of them.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 9, 2006
  10. Confused in NY

    CaptCaveman Guest

    Re: 71-621 : UPG: Upgrading your MCDST Certification to MCITP Ente

    I just schedualed an appointment for the 5th also. It sounds like this test
    may feature the Vista OS. So it looks like I'll be re-installing RC2 on my
    computer and using that until the test date (and I just finished installing
    the last program on my computer today after a fresh install of Media Center).

    I didn't have much problems with the MSDST beta or the MSCSA Beta, but that
    was with a product that I had already been using and supporting. I've only
    seen betas of Vista.

    Could this be the first test that I can't pass? Will my perfect record be
    tarnished? Or will I be able to tell my boss I've passed another beta, give
    me a raise?

    CaptCaveman, Dec 9, 2006
  11. Confused in NY

    CaptCaveman Guest

    Re: 71-621 : UPG: Upgrading your MCDST Certification to MCITP Ente

    Sorry, those tests should say MCDST and MCSA. It's late, I'm tired, and I'm
    in semi panic / excited mode because of the beta test.
    I think I'll start imaging my computer tonight so I can start experimenting
    (again) with Vista tomorrow.

    CaptCaveman, Dec 9, 2006
  12. Confused in NY

    Lasher Guest

    Re: 71-621 : UPG: Upgrading your MCDST Certification to MCITP Ente

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwdENhdmVtYW4=?= <>
    wrote in news::

    > Sorry, those tests should say MCDST and MCSA. It's late, I'm tired,
    > and I'm in semi panic / excited mode because of the beta test.
    > I think I'll start imaging my computer tonight so I can start
    > experimenting (again) with Vista tomorrow.
    >
    > "CaptCaveman" wrote:
    >

    >> I just schedualed an appointment for the 5th also. It sounds like
    >> this test may feature the Vista OS. So it looks like I'll be
    >> re-installing RC2 on my computer and using that until the test date
    >> (and I just finished installing the last program on my computer today
    >> after a fresh install of Media Center).
    >>
    >> I didn't have much problems with the MSDST beta or the MSCSA Beta,
    >> but that was with a product that I had already been using and
    >> supporting. I've only seen betas of Vista.
    >>
    >> Could this be the first test that I can't pass? Will my perfect
    >> record be tarnished? Or will I be able to tell my boss I've passed
    >> another beta, give me a raise?

    Its an honor to be selected. I think that if you review the site, your
    past materials, and Vista itself, this exam should be pretty
    easy...considering that its not like 70-271 which was a bit more
    difficult than 272 imho. Booked for Tuesday, December 26. Good luck to
    all of you.

    --
    -Lasher
    MCNGP #50

    Lasher, Dec 9, 2006
  13. Hello!
    quote : "Beta exams are great - basically a free kick at the can" - does it
    mean that MS Beta exams are for free ??? Can u get insurance for Beta exams?
    And till what date is this beta 71-621 available till? Because on email it
    said 5th of January but on MS website it says 12th of January ??? help

    Martins Lorencis, Dec 9, 2006
  14. Confused in NY

    Montreal MCT Guest

    If you are invited, the exam is free. You cannot get the exam insurance on
    it.

    Montreal MCT, Dec 9, 2006
  15. Confused in NY

    Lasher Guest

    "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in

    > <something like there is no passing the exam if you've never used

    Vista>

    Sorry Montreal MCT, even though I do not in any way endorse, support, or
    reccommend dumps of any kind, and that the test hasn't even been
    released yet, there is no way to say that someone that has never used
    Vista will not pass the test since you have not seen - nor has anyone
    else for that matter - the actual test.

    I just wanted to point that out since you said it earlier. It is likely
    that they will not pass, but considering the changes, they aren't that
    signifigant to say that the configuration of Vista will be completely
    unrecognizable. The only thing that I could see people not
    understanding are the side-bar apps, Windows Aero, and BitLocker.

    --
    -Lasher
    MCNGP #50

    Lasher, Dec 9, 2006
  16. Evening!
    As of yet no one has answered my question about 71-621 beta exam
    availability. In MS e-mail it states that it will be available till 5th of
    January and on MS website it says 12th of January. I`ve also sent an e-mail
    to MS support team, but haven`t received an answer yet.

    Also, is any of few available books on Amazon worth buying as a study
    material for exam? Like - Windows Vista for Dummies ? LOL or Windows Vista
    Administrators Pocket Consultant ?

    Martins Lorencis, Dec 9, 2006
  17. Confused in NY

    Montreal MCT Guest

    You are right Lasher... for your benefit I will rephrase: It is extremely
    unlikely that someone will pass the exam who has never seen the material.

    By the way I have already taken one Vista exam, and I can tell you that the
    questions seemed geared directly at the changes, as is customary with all
    Microsoft upgrade exams.

    Montreal MCT, Dec 10, 2006
  18. Confused in NY

    Lasher Guest

    "Martins Lorencis" <> wrote in

    > Evening!
    > As of yet no one has answered my question about 71-621 beta exam
    > availability. In MS e-mail it states that it will be available till
    > 5th of January and on MS website it says 12th of January. I`ve also
    > sent an e-mail to MS support team, but haven`t received an answer yet.
    >
    > Also, is any of few available books on Amazon worth buying as a study
    > material for exam? Like - Windows Vista for Dummies ? LOL or Windows
    > Vista Administrators Pocket Consultant ?

    Call them on Monday. 800-636-7544.

    --
    -Lasher
    MCNGP #50

    Lasher, Dec 10, 2006
  19. Any idea how many questions are going to be on this beta? I vaguely
    remember my 70-270, and it was like 150 questions.

    Michael D. Alligood, Dec 10, 2006
  20. Confused in NY

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Pure speculation... fewer than that! I have not seen an exam (beta or
    otherwise) in a long while with more than 75 questions. Having said that
    the issue is weird... we can discuss it and speculate until we know for
    sure, then we have to keep our yaps shut about it ;)

    Montreal MCT, Dec 10, 2006