    netcraft.com

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 6, 2005

  2. thingy

    Mercury Guest

    how many servers is that? %?

    Mercury, Sep 6, 2005

  3. T'was the Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:19:37 +1200 when I remembered "Mercury"
    <> saying something like this:

    >how many servers is that? %?

    See the topic of the thread;)

    70%, that's super impressive. I still see quite a few sites that end
    in .asp, perhaps I guess I'm just hanging around those sites more.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 6, 2005
  4. thingy

    Tim Guest

    Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

    Tim, Sep 6, 2005
  5. thingy

    PAM. Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

    It means "sites"

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 6, 2005
  6. PAM. wrote:
    >>Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

    > It means "sites"

    I have one install of Apache, running 14 "sites"... I have one install
    of IIS, and it is currently running 2 "sites".

    It's not that either of them can't run more(or less) sites, it's just
    how I've done it for the moment.

    see why the %age of sites means nothing?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2005
  7. thingy

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:38:25 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > PAM. wrote:
    >>>Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

    >> It means "sites"

    > I have one install of Apache, running 14 "sites"... I have one install of
    > IIS, and it is currently running 2 "sites".
    >
    > It's not that either of them can't run more(or less) sites, it's just how
    > I've done it for the moment.
    >

    > see why the %age of sites means nothing?

    Has anyone in this thread actually looked at the data presented by
    netcraft to 'get the facts'?
    They do break down sites and servers, they do break down active and total
    hostnames, they do have pretty little graphs to show what they are talking
    about, and.. they do show % of change from their last survey
    (and its not good news for apache)
    And, they show that the top 10 hosters (reliability) are
    running Microsoft (2), Linux (5), FreeBSD (2), and Solaris (1)
    with three hosters sharing the top spot ( 1 Microsoft, 2 Linux)

    http://news.netcraft.org

    Shane, Sep 6, 2005
  8. thingy

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:55:37 +1200, Shane wrote:

    and now that I have taken my chill pill, I can tell you that the 70%
    figure appears to be for servers
    Market Share for Top Servers Across All Domains August 1995 - September
    2005
    What is interesting about that graph is the big jump Microsoft had between
    June 2001 and Sept 2003 then they seem to have stabilised at ~21% of the
    server market whilst apache has steadily climbed.

    Shane, Sep 6, 2005
  9. thingy

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:55:37 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    > and now that I have taken my chill pill, I can tell you that the 70%
    > figure appears to be for servers
    > Market Share for Top Servers Across All Domains August 1995 -
    > September 2005
    > What is interesting about that graph is the big jump Microsoft had
    > between June 2001 and Sept 2003 then they seem to have stabilised at
    > ~21% of the server market whilst apache has steadily climbed.

    "Across All Domains" is the key you are looking for. They measure what
    is being run on a *domain*. So a domain that is parked on a server with
    thousands of other domains will count as one for that particular server
    type, as will all the other thousands of domains parked on that server
    (eg if you have 1000 parked domains they will count as 1000 of that
    server type).

    There have been big jumps in some months in the past in the netcraft
    survey when a domain parking company / registrar has changed from
    Apache to IIS or vice versa.

    Chris Hope, Sep 6, 2005
  10. thingy

    Mercury Guest

    So,your teling me that the power that goes into the back of a DEC PDP11/70
    is more dangerous than the power that goes into a vacuum cleaner?

    The vacuum cleaner runs on 230 volts, the 11/70 has a big warning sign
    saying it runs on 250,000 milli volts.

    Don't get confused by extraneous units.

    Mercury, Sep 23, 2005