70-680 Training Kit

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by William Wood, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. William Wood

    William Wood Guest

    I have the 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 Training Kit, and there are some
    discrepancies within the book and Microsoft's web site regarding System
    Requirements. These discrepancies are on page xxiv, Page 5, and
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements.

    On page xxiv, Table 1 is supposed to list the minimum and recommended
    hardware requirements for Windows 7, but Table 1 is subtitled, “Windows
    Server 2008 Minimum Hardware Requirementsâ€. This caused me to check
    Microsoft’s website for Windows 7 requirements, and I find yet a different
    set of criteria.

    The web site does not list the Minimum or Recommended requirements mentioned
    on page xxiv, but rather the “here’s what it takes†(HWIT) section and the
    “additional requirements to use certain featuresâ€. Unfortunately these don't
    corresponded to the Minimum and Recommended columns in the book.

    Between pages xxiv & 5 and the web site, there are five different references
    for disk space:

    1. Page xxiv states for disk space 40 GB minimum requirement, and 60 GB
    recommended.
    2. Page 5 for Starter and Basic says, “A 20GB (x64) or 16-GB (x86) hard disk
    drive, traditional or Solid State Disk (SSD), with at least 15 GB of
    available space.
    3. Page 5 for Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise,
    mentions, “A 40-GB hard disk drive (traditional or SSD) with at least 15 GB
    of available space.â€
    4. The web site’s HWIT section says “16 GB available hard disk space
    (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)â€.
    5. The web site’s “additional requirements†section mentions an additional
    15 GB for Windows XP Mode.

    The requirements for graphics components are different between the book on
    pages xxiv and 5 and the web site as well.

    The ultimate question this raises is, what will the correct answer be
    regarding system requirements on the test I am preparing for? The correct
    answer as listed on the web site, or one of the answers presented in the book?

    Is there an official Microsoft policy on what answer to expect on the test
    when the MS Press book information is incorrect or inconsistent?

    Regards,
    William

    William Wood, Nov 18, 2009

  2. "William Wood" <William > wrote in message

    > The ultimate question this raises is, what will the correct answer be
    > regarding system requirements on the test I am preparing for?

    The correct answer is always the "Microsoft Official" information posted on
    microsoft.com

    > The correct
    > answer as listed on the web site, or one of the answers presented in the
    > book?

    You should consider certification training books as simply tools to organize
    the material into a cognizant approach to learning. This is also why it's
    recommended to never study only *one* source to prepare for a certification
    exam.

    > Is there an official Microsoft policy on what answer to expect on the test
    > when the MS Press book information is incorrect or inconsistent?

    Don't make the mistake of presuming that an MSPress book is any more
    authoritative (or correct) than any other publishers. Microsoft Press is a
    wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation. MSPress hires authors to
    write books. Authors are human. Authors, sometimes, fail to research
    questions as simple as Minimum System Requirements. Missing that particular
    point, though, does shed some concern on the Author and Technical Editor,
    and might make me take everything else in the book with a grain of salt as
    well.

    Note: It looks to me like the Hardware Requirements Table 1 on p xxiv is the
    Vista requirements with a Win2008 table title.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Nov 18, 2009

  3. William Wood

    William Wood Guest

    Thank you Mr. Garvin!

    William Wood, Nov 18, 2009
  4. William Wood

    HLS Guest

    Thank you for this posting. I have started to read this book with a view to
    doing the 70-680 exam. I too am worried about the probable errors I have
    found in the book. Is there a Microsoft web page giving details of any errors
    and omissions in the book? The companion MS Press 70-620 book and the
    included tests on the CD suffer badly from serious errors that should have
    been picked up during editing.

    Cheers and thanks
    Bert

    HLS, Nov 30, 2009
  5. "HLS" <> wrote in message

    > Is there a Microsoft web page giving details of any errors and omissions
    > in the book?

    Errata for any MSPress book is normally posted on the MSPress website.

    From the Overview section of the 70-680 book:

    Note MORE INFO: FIND ADDITIONAL CONTENT ONLINE

    As new or updated material that complements your book becomes available, it
    will be posted on the Microsoft Press Online Windows Server and Client Web
    site. The type of material you might find includes updates to book content,
    articles, links to companion content, errata, sample chapters, and more.
    This Web site will is available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/online/serverclient and will be
    updated periodically.

    From that page click on "Search for Corrections", which will instruct you to
    enter the book's 10-digit ISBN number as a search parameter on the Microsoft
    Help & Support page -- and of course, nothing comes up -- in which case you
    are encouraged to "...contact Microsoft Press Customer Support..." at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/training/format-books-support.aspx#tab1

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Nov 30, 2009
  6. William Wood

    Orin Thomas Guest

    I have put up an errata sheet at: