    Questions and Answers part.

    Has anyone written the exam recently and experienced that?

    Cheers

    assanies, Dec 1, 2008

  2. assanies

    Steve Davis Guest

    What do you mean by "write the exam". I just recently started obtaining
    Microsoft certifications and have seen this a few times but not sure what it
    means. Is "writing" an exam a requirement for some type of certification?
    thank you,
    Steve Davis

    Steve Davis, Dec 2, 2008

  3. assanies

    assanies Guest

    Hi

    If you started writing the Certifications. Don't you know that you have to
    write Exams to achieve the Certification.

    YOU didn't actually answer my question.

    Cheers

    assanies, Dec 2, 2008
  4. assanies

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Hi Assanies,

    I have taken many certification exams in my career, including 70-640.
    Usually (and 640 is not an exception) there are a set number of questions...
    some are multiple choice, and others will have simulations. Are you talking
    about simulations, or did Microsoft Learning change something without
    informing the MCTs?

    Mitch Garvis
    Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    http://garvis.ca/blogs

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 2, 2008
  5. To "write" the exam means to take the exam. I think this is a very odd way
    of saying it myself.

    I've been the IT field for 25+ years and have never hear a anyone use this
    term in person. I've only seen it used on the Internet. Therefore, the term
    must have a non American origin. But it is used so ubiquitously in the
    forums, you just have to get use to it.

    I taught and wrote curriculum for 15 years, so I have actually written
    (created) many exams. But my students would take the exams that I had
    written.

    If you think about it, using the word "take" might seem strange to people in
    other countries. It might sounds like someone was trying to steal the exam..

    Harvey Colwell, Dec 2, 2008
  6. This is a new format for Microsoft.
    It is designed to eliminate "paper MCTS"es and cheaters.
    For several months they had offered a Beta exam 70-113 to test this format.
    According to
    http://blogs.technet.com/betaexams/...ilot-70-113-extended-until-december-17th.aspx,
    the registration for the test, as the URL suggests, was supposed to go to
    December 17th.
    However, if you go to the Prometric site, you will see that the exam is no
    longer offered (at least in the United States).
    I assume this means the testing of the new format is complete.

    It appears that you are one of the first people to take the exam in its new
    format as a real exam.

    You didn't say whether you passed or not.
    If you didn't, I hope you remembered to sign up for the second-shot.
    --
    Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x8, MCSA, MOS x2, FLMI, ACS

    LarryWestMCSD, Dec 3, 2008
  7. "LarryWestMCSD" <LarryWest-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote in message

    > According to
    > http://blogs.technet.com/betaexams/...ilot-70-113-extended-until-december-17th.aspx,
    > the registration for the test, as the URL suggests, was supposed to go to
    > December 17th.
    > However, if you go to the Prometric site, you will see that the exam is no
    > longer offered (at least in the United States).
    > I assume this means the testing of the new format is complete.

    The day they announced the extension of the registration to December 17th, I
    went to the Prometric site.
    Nary a single exam seat was available at any eligible testing center
    anywhere in the Houston metropolitan area.

    Presumably if the registration is "open" until December 17th, that implies
    that *testing* would at least be available until a day or so afterwards
    (since you cannot register for an exam the "next day", on Dec 17th, you
    would only be able to schedule an exam on or after Dec 19th).

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 3, 2008
  8. assanies

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Sorry Larry, that is exam 70-113, not 70-640. I know what you are talking
    about, but this is not it :)

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 3, 2008
  9. assanies

    Garth Guest

    Didn't MS change the exam number to Exam 83-640: TS: Windows Server 2008
    Active Directory, Configuring featuring new virtual labs exam items or
    something like that?

    Garth, Dec 3, 2008
  10. assanies

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Hmmm... MAYBE :) I hadn't heard of it though... -M

    Montreal_MCT, Dec 3, 2008
  11. assanies

    Garth Guest

    It was announce in one of the MCT newsgroups. :)

    Garth, Dec 4, 2008
  12. The 70-113 exam was the "Performance Based Testing Pilot Exam" for the new
    70-640 exam (Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring). The exam
    itself did not give you any certifications, because, as Microsoft stated, "it
    is only part of the exam," but if you were one of the first 3000 to take it,
    you did get three free vouchers in exchange for your time and input. See
    http://blogs.technet.com/betaexams/...e-performance-based-exam-pilot-7-29-9-12.aspx.
    I had signed up for it, but had a last minute emergency and could not get the
    time off to take it. The emergency came up after it was too late to
    reschedule the exam.

    I do believe it is the "Performance Lab" that the Original Poster talks about.

    LarryWestMCSD, Dec 4, 2008