    Chris

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4434 (20090917) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Chris K, Sep 17, 2009

  2. Chris K

    John R Guest

    "Chris K" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have been studying for the 70-620 Windows Vista exam and getting ready to
    >take the test next week. Does anyone know if this test will expire soon
    >after and be replaced with windows 7 or should I go ahead and take it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Chris

    The MCTS:Vista Config will expire when mainstream support for Vista expires.
    To my knowledge, a date has not yet been set when to retire the exam.
    70-270 for XP is still available so I would think that would retire long
    before 70-620. Historically, exam retirements have been announced at least
    a year in advance. There is a blog on MS Learning, but I can't seem to find
    the URL at the moment.

    John R.
    John R, Sep 17, 2009

  3. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > "Chris K" <> wrote in message
    >>I have been studying for the 70-620 Windows Vista exam and getting ready
    >>to take the test next week. Does anyone know if this test will expire
    >>soon after and be replaced with windows 7 or should I go ahead and take
    >>it.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Chris

    > The MCTS:Vista Config will expire when mainstream support for Vista
    > expires. To my knowledge, a date has not yet been set when to retire the
    > exam.

    Yeah.. but it's reasonable to assume the exam will retire on or very near to
    the same date the certification expires. What would be the point in taking
    an exam if the certification it was designed for would no longer be awarded?
    Ahh.. well... presumably one might want to take the 70-620 (Vista) to
    fulfill a requirement for the MCITP:EA (Win2008), and to that point the exam
    might be useful for another year. On the other hand, if the MCITP:EA is
    reworded to require an MCTS certification in a desktop operating system,
    rather than specific exams (and many MCITP exams are now worded in that
    fashion -- requiring the MCTS, not a specific exam), the MCTS:Vista
    expiration would put the cork in that scenario.

    For the record, mainstream support for Vista expires on April 10, 2012 --
    about two and a half years from now.
    Mainstream support for Windows Server 2008 expires on July 9, 2013 -- about
    15 months after Vista.

    > 70-270 for XP is still available so I would think that would retire long
    > before 70-620.

    Windows XP, the MCDST, MCSA, and MCSE certifications have different rules,
    and are not based on any published retirement/expiration policy.

    > Historically, exam retirements have been announced at least a year in
    > advance.

    This is the key point here. If it's not yet announced, and it's a legacy
    exam (MCP/MCSA/MCSE/MCDST/MCDBA) you can reasonably assume you've got at
    least a year left to take it -- but do note, that's no guarantee, and
    everything is always subject to change without notice.

    http://borntolearn.mslearn.net

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 17, 2009
  4. Chris K

    John R Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> "Chris K" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have been studying for the 70-620 Windows Vista exam and getting ready
    >>>to take the test next week. Does anyone know if this test will expire
    >>>soon after and be replaced with windows 7 or should I go ahead and take
    >>>it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> The MCTS:Vista Config will expire when mainstream support for Vista
    >> expires. To my knowledge, a date has not yet been set when to retire the
    >> exam.

    > Yeah.. but it's reasonable to assume the exam will retire on or very near
    > to the same date the certification expires. What would be the point in
    > taking an exam if the certification it was designed for would no longer be
    > awarded?

    I didn't mean to imply anything here other than to distinguish between the
    cert and the exam, and to point out that a retirement date has not yet been
    set, again to my knowledge.

    > For the record, mainstream support for Vista expires on April 10, 2012 --
    > about two and a half years from now.
    > Mainstream support for Windows Server 2008 expires on July 9, 2013 --
    > about 15 months after Vista.

    All good info.

    >> 70-270 for XP is still available so I would think that would retire long
    >> before 70-620.

    > Windows XP, the MCDST, MCSA, and MCSE certifications have different rules,
    > and are not based on any published retirement/expiration policy.

    Again, not implying or inferring anything here other than "I would think"
    (read: personal opinion) that XP exams most likely will retire before Vista
    exams. I suppose, in the realm of possibilities, that might not be 100%
    correct, but I'll take my chances :)

    >> Historically, exam retirements have been announced at least a year in
    >> advance.

    > This is the key point here. If it's not yet announced, and it's a legacy
    > exam (MCP/MCSA/MCSE/MCDST/MCDBA) you can reasonably assume you've got at
    > least a year left to take it -- but do note, that's no guarantee, and
    > everything is always subject to change without notice.

    And, again, I left it open on purpose by only saying what has happened
    historically. Microsoft could cancel the certification program and
    decertify everyone today. But I don't think I need to add that to every
    post as it isn't too reasonable. It is certainly reasonable to assume
    however that there will most likely BE an announcement prior to the actual
    retirement. And so far, as mentioned above, there hasn't been one.

    >> There is a blog on MS Learning, but I can't seem to find the URL at the
    >> moment.

    > http://borntolearn.mslearn.net

    Thanks for the link Lawrence. I suffer from chronic momentary CRS (can't
    remember stuff) :) Let's see if I can remember to bookmark it now, lol.

    John R
    John R, Sep 18, 2009
  5. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    >>> The MCTS:Vista Config will expire when mainstream support for Vista
    >>> expires. To my knowledge, a date has not yet been set when to retire the
    >>> exam.

    >> Yeah.. but it's reasonable to assume the exam will retire on or very near
    >> to the same date the certification expires. What would be the point in
    >> taking an exam if the certification it was designed for would no longer
    >> be awarded?

    > I didn't mean to imply anything here

    None assumed. My reply wasn't intended to correct anything, merely add to
    the opinion pool. :)

    >> Windows XP, the MCDST, MCSA, and MCSE certifications have different
    >> rules, and are not based on any published retirement/expiration policy.

    > Again, not implying or inferring anything here other than "I would think"
    > (read: personal opinion) that XP exams most likely will retire before
    > Vista exams. I suppose, in the realm of possibilities, that might not be
    > 100% correct, but I'll take my chances :)

    Me too. :)

    Of course.... I'm not particularly interested in an MCDST, and beyond the
    MCSA which I'm one exam away from, I suspect I'm done with legacy exams.
    (I'd prefer a few of the newer MCTS/MCITP certs before taking the Win2003
    Active Directory exams -- which is all I'd need for the MCSE.)

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 18, 2009