    Im also finding these practice exams quite difficult - im getting around 70%
    - and starting to panic. Are they known to be more difficult than other
    practice exams?

    Matt, Jul 25, 2007

  2. Matt

    Ashwin Guest

    Yes, the exam tests you not just on semantics, but also syntax. I'd suggest
    taking the Transcender tests until you consistently score 100% or very close
    to it. Also, when you take the tests, ensure that you pay attention to why
    the other answers are wrong. This actually teaches you a lot, rather than
    just focusing on what is right.

    Also, be sure to take the tests on the CD that comes with the MS exam
    certification book for 536 - I am assuming you have this as well. The two
    will together give you the confidence with the exam.

    Good luck.

    Ashwin

    Ashwin, Jul 29, 2007

  3. Matt

    Marc Guest

    "Ashwin" <> schreef

    > Yes, the exam tests you not just on semantics, but also syntax.

    For this exam, and 70-528 you should know either C# or VB. Now to what
    extence are for example the OO principles of C# tested? Should you know C#
    to read the questions and answers? Or should you know inheritance and for
    example the order in constructors work in the the inheritance tree when a
    new object is created and which public data fields are used when the runtime
    type of a class is a subclass of his original declaration, et cetera??

    Marc, Aug 12, 2007
  4. Matt

    Ashwin Guest

    Hi Marc,

    I am not sure I completely understand your question, but hopefully this will
    answer it...

    The exam tests you on .NET material rather than C# itself. The language
    elements of C# are not tested, as far as I know - of course I don't represent
    the testing panel, so this is just my opinion. For example, you may be given
    a segment of code that shows how to connect to a database using a
    DbConnection subclass, all the way down to getting a reader and reading from
    it. The code would have a using statement to create the DbConnection (which
    as you know causes the call to Dispose() or Close()). The questions on this
    segment of code assume that you know the using statement and what it does, so
    it won't ask you about that. What it will ask you is what the segment of code
    itself does, and it might ask you what order the statements might have to be
    in - or what line of code is missing.

    In other words, you aren't tested on C#. Examples of this:
    * What the using statement is, or
    * What is the difference between a cast and the AS keyword or
    * What the syntax is on an indexer.

    You will be instead tested on .NET aspects such as
    * A chunk of code written with C# and what it does
    * How many bytes within a particular system type (like double).
    * The order of parameters for creating an event log

    If you notice, the latter set of questions do not specifically pertain to
    the language, but the application of the language.

    Hope that answers it. The examples I have given above are not the ones I got
    in my own exam, so I am not (I don't think) violating the confidentiality
    agreement.

    Ashwin

    Ashwin, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Matt

    Marc Guest

    "Ashwin" <> schreef

    > Hope that answers it.

    Yes it does. :)

    I just passed another exam on Java, the language only. That's a total
    different track. I am doing ASP.NET and JSP in my present job. The java exam
    is called Sun Certified Java Programmer and tests you on the most geeky
    little things in Java. I already thought and hoped it would not be like thát
    exam, I happy you confirm it. Thanks!

    Marc, Aug 12, 2007