70-316 preparation

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by James, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Greetings.

    I'd like to add C# and MCP to my marketable skills and
    possibly continue on the MCP route to an MCAD. Towards
    this end I'm planning to take exam 70-316.

    I'm on a tight budget (no money for courses) and my ideal
    timeframe is 8 - 10 weeks. I've just ordered the self-
    paced training kit and in addition I'm planning to buy
    the practise tests from measureup.

    My background is in games and web development and I
    studied Computer Science. I have no experience with
    Visual Studio.net and little experience with C#. I am
    hoping that my C++ and Java skills will transfer well to
    C#.

    Based on all this, I have a few questions and would be
    grateful if anyone out there could answer one or more
    according to their opinion.

    1. To what extent is it possible to compensate for lack
    of commercial C# experience by private study?
    2. Is my timeframe realistic?
    3. Besides the book I have, what one book would be most
    useful for passing 70-316?.. Petzold?

    Thanks for the help

    - James

    James, Sep 6, 2004

  2. James

    V. Guest

    HI,

    I'm about doing the same as you. I can tell you that
    your C++ and Java skills will help you more then enough
    when it comes to C#. (especially Java)
    The book you've bought will not be enough though. Take
    enough practice exams and check out your mistakes on MSDN
    or on newsgroups.

    Your time frame depends on how much time you study a
    day. My experience is that the book is hard to read
    because it's so boring sometimes. Especially the second
    time around.

    Take time to pick up all the details and hopefully you'll
    get there (and me too, 'cause I still have to take my
    first exam, soon)

    good luck.

    V.

    V., Sep 6, 2004

  3. James

    Raja Guest

    The one best book for 316 prep is undoubtedly Amit
    Kalani's book. The Amazon link is http://tinyurl.com/64coq

    On the same note, for the other C# exams also (315 &
    320), I would recommend Amit Kalani's books. The links
    are :
    70-315 : http://tinyurl.com/4rhh7
    70-320 : http://tinyurl.com/6oeo4

    As far as I know, MS self-paced training kit falls far
    short of expectations.

    - Raja.

    Raja, Sep 7, 2004