70-306

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Roy Lawson, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Roy Lawson

    Roy Lawson Guest

    I took it first. Instead of relying on braindumps which
    is a certification sin, I used transcender practice
    exams. These questions are similar to the questions on
    the test and I think if you can pass them you should be
    able to pass the test.

    But, that doesn't mean you should waste your time
    remembering the answer to every single transcender
    question because none of them are on the exam. In fact,
    it will hurt your score because you won't be able to guage
    where you are at. Just study, take the trancender exam,
    and then study more in the areas you did poorly in. And
    write code. Write lots of code.

    I would get a subscription to learnvisualstudio.net and
    follow the videos...play each one a few times until you
    really understand. Read the books. My method will take
    alot longer but you will understand the concepts much
    better.

    I failed the first time by 2 questions. I passed easily
    the second time because I knew what areas to brush up on.
    So, in summary my method is more expensive, takes more
    time, might result in a failure the first or even second
    time (costing more money), and alot more frustrating.

    Personally, I think MS should allow you to take the exam
    twice for the $125 we are paying. If it became OK to fail
    and not so costly, you wouldn't have so many people
    cheating on the exam. It took me a month to pass 306, if
    you cheat you can have your MCSD in a week or two. I know
    for a fact I could study the dumps and answer the
    questions given one day of study.

    I guess I am just frustrated in how MS handles testing. I
    think it costs way too much and from what I understand
    they don't change the questions. This encourages cheating
    and devalues the certification.

    I think Transcender, not MS, should write the questions
    and keep them updated on a monthly basis...and the cost
    should go down because you will have alot more test takers.

    But then again my other theory is that MS wants everyone
    to cheat. If I were wrong, they would have done something
    by now. I have been MS certified since 1999 and cheaters
    have been an ongoing problem. I am unemployed. Hire me
    MS, I will fix the problem.

    -RL

    Roy Lawson, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Roy Lawson

    Jim Parker Guest

    "Roy Lawson" <> wrote in message

    > I think Transcender, not MS, should write the questions
    > and keep them updated on a monthly basis...and the cost
    > should go down because you will have alot more test takers.

    But a Transcender practice test costs more than the actual exam.
    How could Transcender writing the questions and updating them on a monthly
    basis even possibly be less expensive than the current system? It would be
    more expensive!

    JD.

    Jim Parker, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Roy Lawson

    Roy Lawson Guest

    I mean that Transcender should be contracted by MS to
    write the test material as they do a good job already
    preparing people for the exams. Their practice material
    of course shouldn't reflect the actual test questions.

    I don't care who writes the questions. I am just
    concerned that they aren't updated often enough.

    The preferred method of preparing for the exam should
    change from taking mock exams to actually studying and
    applying the principals. I think the exams questions
    should get easier, asking real world questions that one
    should be expected to remember, but they should be updated
    often.

    In the perfect world an exam for 306 (VB .NET desktop)
    would be somelike: create a small desktop application that
    does XYZ. It should connect to this database _____. The
    user requirements are _______. The business requirements
    are ______. Etc. You have 6 hours.

    The forms and some class files could already be created in
    the interest of time and to make sure everyone comes out
    with roughly the same solution if they know what they are
    doing. H@ll, make it open book...that is how it is in the
    real world.

    Each exam would be scored on an individual basis, pass or
    fail. The way people would practice for the exam would
    be...oh heaven forbid...actually writing code. MS could
    charge more for the cost they would incur having someone
    grade your work. But when it was all said and done, you
    have a certified programmer who has actually written a
    line of code. I know of people who have taken and passed
    these exams without ever owning VS.NET or writing a single
    line of code...never even bothered to open up the IDE.

    It is an outrage.

    -Roy Lawson
    www.freedomcast.com

    Roy Lawson, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Roy Lawson

    Jaime Guest

    Well that was the long answer; I think I have a better
    understanding of windows applications than any of the
    others so that is why I wanted to take this test first.
    I have 3 different visual basic.net books that are teach
    yourself or step by step or at least have examples you
    have to follow in them by three different publishers to
    kind of get a broader sense and yes I write code every
    night. After I get through those and the MCSD self paced
    book and ado.net and that stupid upgrading from vb6 to
    vb.net book I was planning on getting the transcended
    tests to see if I was ready or not. A certification does
    me no good if I can't code or apply my knowledge.

    Jaime, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Roy Lawson

    Roy Lawson Guest

    Sorry for the long answer. I was venting and answering
    your question at the same time :)

    -Roy

    Roy Lawson, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Roy Lawson

    Jim Parker Guest

    "Roy Lawson" <> wrote in message

    > In the perfect world an exam for 306 (VB .NET desktop)
    > would be somelike: create a small desktop application that
    > does XYZ. It should connect to this database _____. The
    > user requirements are _______. The business requirements
    > are ______. Etc. You have 6 hours.
    >
    > The forms and some class files could already be created in
    > the interest of time and to make sure everyone comes out
    > with roughly the same solution if they know what they are
    > doing. H@ll, make it open book...that is how it is in the
    > real world.

    I don't see how that would make it more difficult for people to get the exam
    questions and answers ahead of time.

    You probably hit on the best method in your original post; if the questions
    changed on a regular (or random) basis and never repeated after they were
    cycled out. Of course that would make creating the exam questions, doing
    good QA on them, and putting them together into an exam with a consistent
    degree of difficulty a lot more expensive.

    JD.

    Jim Parker, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Roy Lawson

    Roy Lawson Guest

    Well, the first scenario would make it easy to prevent
    cheaters so that would be helpful as well. My second
    scenario wouldn't be a multiple choice exam. It would be
    an exam that required you to create a small VB .NET
    application that meets the requirements put forth.

    Logisticly, it would be more difficult because each
    testing center would need VS.NET on all the machines and
    the files would need to be packaged and stored someplace,
    plus someone would need to grade the exams pass or fail
    based upon the requirements given. But I think the second
    scenario would better prove ones ability to develop an
    application using .NET.

    Yes, you could easily practice developing the application
    at home if you had an idea of what the requirements were.
    But you would still need to manually code it and either
    way you must figure out what you are doing.

    -Roy Lawson
    www.freedomcast.com

    Roy Lawson, Sep 26, 2003