    --
    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    AviationDev, Oct 10, 2005

  2. October 10, 2005

    Simulations are only on 290 & 291 right now... They are only adding those
    to the IT Pro exams, and not the developer exams yet.... They probably will
    have some simulations on all new exams (such as these new certifications
    being discussed), although that is just my opinion....

    --
    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
    Static IP

    Joseph Bittman MCSD, Oct 10, 2005

  3. AviationDev

    AviationDev Guest

    Joseph,

    Thanks for the information! I thought the new exams were supposed to be
    released already? Any news on that front?
    --
    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    AviationDev, Oct 10, 2005
  4. October 10, 2005

    Nope, no new information besides the one article MCPMag.com did a few
    months ago.... I believe (with only a faint recollection) that the first new
    exams will come out this Nov/December....

    Joseph Bittman MCSD, Oct 10, 2005
  5. AviationDev

    AviationDev Guest

    Is 70-305 based on .NET 1.1? I just want to make sure I'm studying the right
    material. Do you have any general pointers or suggestions for taking this
    exam? Thanks in advance for your input!
    --
    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    AviationDev, Oct 11, 2005
  6. October 11, 2005

    :) Yep, all of the current dev exams for MCSD are on 1.1 of .Net. Before
    taking the exam, I would review the objectives at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-305.asp to make sure you know the
    material. If you own MSPress's training kit for the exam, you can find this
    same objective list at the very beginning of the book and it also lists
    where in the book the objectives are gone over. I don't think there is more
    for me to say besides what are listed as the objectives. Hope this helps!

    Joseph Bittman MCSD, Oct 12, 2005
  7. AviationDev

    AviationDev Guest

    Joseph,

    What are your thoughts on becoming an MCAD with 1.1? In your opinion should
    I wait until the new exams are released or continue my plan to finsh off my
    MCAD? I've passed 70-306 and have been studying for 70-305 for about a month.
    I've been developing web apps for over 3 years using asp.net. I figure I
    can pass 70-305 in a couple of weeks and then finish off the MCAD Cert. with
    the web service/remoting/window services exam.

    What do you think?

    Thanks,

    --
    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    AviationDev, Oct 14, 2005
  8. October 14, 2005

    I would definitely go ahead with the MCAD on 1.1. Employers like to see
    previous certification versions, as it shows in depth experience with the
    product. It sounds as if 70-305 will be very easy for you, and then you will
    only have 1 exam left. I would definitely go ahead, as the XML knowledge you
    will gain from 310 is invaluable. In my applications, I have almost
    completely (actually *completely*) moved to xml stores and they are
    incredibly fast. :) Hope this helps!!!

    Joseph Bittman MCSD, Oct 14, 2005
  9. AviationDev

    AviationDev Guest

    Thanks for the input, I am gonna finish it off! 70-305 shouldn't be that
    bad. I just need to brush up on the things I do not do everyday (deployment,
    working with legacy code...). 310 will be much harder but more rewarding I
    believe.

    When you say xml stores, are you talking about datasets, or actually storing
    xml in the sql server tables, or something else entirely??? We have some
    very high transaction rates around here and could use all the speed we can
    get. It seems like SQL server is always the bottle neck... I know a little
    bit of XML, but for all practical purposes I am a beginner when talking XML.
    It is the weak point in my armor:)

    Thanks a million. What kind of work do you do? Are you an application
    programmer, DBA... Just curious...

    --
    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    AviationDev, Oct 14, 2005
  10. October 14, 2005

    XML stores as in xml in a regular file.... I used to use datasets & xsd
    schemas to read the xml from the files (using the .ReadXml method), but I
    found it took a LONG TIME? If I actually use an XMLReader (or
    Xpathdocuments) and loop through elements, I find it is extremely fast. I
    don't know why Datasets take sooo long in comparison to a little looping
    code (I also create a class which contains the properties/elements in the
    XML so I can populate them easily while looping... like C.Blogname C.BlogID)
    I actually don't have much experience with storing XML in SQL.... although
    it probably has more overhead then reading from a file and also since you
    typically might load it into a dataset afterward anyways... which would be
    like loading the dataset from the file... very slow.

    I mostly just do some consulting... not as much coding :( but more
    testing/reviewing/feedback/etc ... :) But I love coding more than any of
    those!

    Joseph Bittman MCSD, Oct 14, 2005
  11. AviationDev

    AviationDev Guest

    Interesting...

    We strictly use datareaders when getting data if we can. We have also found
    that datasets are very slow. We try not to use them at all! It's a catch
    22. MS tests you on datasets and adapters but I don't use them much because
    of the speed issue. Sometimes it seems like I have to study things that
    don't make a lot of sense.

    oh, well....

    In regards to your using files as your data stores. Is it practical to use
    this method when dealing with millions of records of data?? I can't see how
    you could read, write an search for data effiecently without using sql
    server. Just to clarify, I'm not dogging your methods hear, I'm just trying
    to understand how you manage a lot of data..

    Thanks,

    NW
    --
    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    AviationDev, Oct 14, 2005
  12. October 16, 2005

    Sorry for the delayed response... I forgot about this thread.

    No, I don't think it is practical to use xml files with millions of records.
    I have only very small amounts of data at any one time, but I'm always
    amazed at how even that small amount can have a visible difference of
    several seconds... where as the xmlreaders make it about .5 seconds. I
    haven't experimented with XML in SQL much, but I wasn't as thrilled with the
    results as I am with files. I'm hoping for better XML support in SQL 05. :)

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Oct 16, 2005
  13. AviationDev

    AviationDev Guest

    Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't
    overlooking something that could have a huge impact on app performance. I
    think I am going to study for two more weeks then take 70-305. Thanks for
    your input. Did you just get voted MVP??? If so congrats!! What's DPM?
    How do you become MVP?
    --
    Nick Wegner
    MCP

    AviationDev, Oct 17, 2005
  14. October 18, 2005

    :) Yep! DPM = System Center Data Protection Manager... DPM is an
    enterprise level data backup solution and Microsoft's latest addition to the
    System Center family! Find the top 10 benefits at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/dpm/evaluation/topten.mspx --
    DPM's main web site is http://www.microsoft.com/dpm

    One of the greatest benefits of DPM is the ability for end users to recovery
    their own files in a minute or less!!! :) Also, you can reduce the amount of
    work lost in an accident to 1 hour. If you have questions, be sure to visit
    the DPM NG either through the link on DPM's web site or at
    microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager -- I also have articles about it on
    my blog: http://71.39.42.23/

    About the MVP: Basically you need to help other consumers with their
    problems.... MSFT really watches the product's newsgroup when making
    judgments. Betas are really nice too, as the product group has a chance to
    know you better. The very most important part though, is participating in
    the MSFT newsgroups.

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Oct 19, 2005