70-305 question

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by valko, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. valko

    valko Guest

    Hi guys,

    In Microsoft's Training Kit MCAD/MCSD "Developing Web Applications" p.641 we
    see:

    OutputCache's Location attribute "Any" is equivalent to HttpCachePolicy's
    SetCacheability member "HttpCacheability.Server"

    and it is Default for asp.net

    but in MSDN
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../frlrfsystemwebhttpcacheabilityclasstopic.asp
    for member "HttpCacheability.Server" we see:

    Server Specifies that the response is cached only at the origin
    server. Similar to the NoCache option. Clients receive a Cache-Control:
    no-cache directive but the document is cached on the origin server.

    and also for Default we see:private Default value. Sets Cache-Control:
    private to specify that the response is cacheable only on the client and not
    by shared (proxy server) caches.

    and in some exam tests I have I see that "Any" = ""HttpCacheability.Public"
    ?!?

    I will go to exam in Wednesday and will highly appreciate any suggestions
    and help :))

    thank you

    cheers
    Valko

    valko, Aug 29, 2004

  2. See answers in line

    Regards,
    Daniel

    "valko" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > In Microsoft's Training Kit MCAD/MCSD "Developing Web Applications" p.641

    we
    > see:
    >
    > OutputCache's Location attribute "Any" is equivalent to HttpCachePolicy's
    > SetCacheability member "HttpCacheability.Server"

    Not correct default is Private

    > and it is Default for asp.net
    >
    > but in MSDN

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../frlrfsystemwebhttpcacheabilityclasstopic.asp
    > for member "HttpCacheability.Server" we see:
    >
    > Server Specifies that the response is cached only at the origin
    > server. Similar to the NoCache option. Clients receive a Cache-Control:
    > no-cache directive but the document is cached on the origin server.

    Correct

    > and also for Default we see:private Default value. Sets Cache-Control:
    > private to specify that the response is cacheable only on the client and

    not
    > by shared (proxy server) caches.

    Correct
    And can't be equal to Any

    > and in some exam tests I have I see that "Any" =

    ""HttpCacheability.Public"
    > ?!?

    Correct
    Framework 1.0 has only 4 enumerations, which is compatible with HTTP 1.1
    No cache, Private, Public and Server
    When you have 4 choices instead of 6 is easier to deduce that "Any" =

    Daniel Joskovski, Aug 30, 2004

  3. See answers in line

    Regards,
    Daniel

    Daniel Joskovski, Aug 30, 2004
  4. valko

    valko yotov Guest

    Hi Daniel,

    thank you for your answer, but according to mentioned MSDN link:

    Public Sets Cache-Control: public to specify that the response is
    cacheable by clients and shared (proxy) caches.

    which id equivalent to "Downstream" not to "Any" - we are talking here not
    for version differences 1 to 1.1, but instead for different presentation on
    same stuff:

    1. You use OutputCache Location page directive declaratively
    2. Or you use Response.Cache HttpCachePolicy's SetCacheability during
    runtime

    which still leaves me not answered what is "Any" = Response.Cache
    HttpCachePolicy's SetCacheability?
    because according to books I read "Any" means absolutly all - client, proxy
    AND host server - I do not see host server option in MSDN article for
    HttpCacheability?

    cheers
    Valko

    valko yotov, Aug 30, 2004
  5. Hi Valko, I present you part off HTTP 1.1 standard wich explain my opinion
    that
    any == public

    if you are interested you can look at
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.9.1

    but in short

    14.9.1 What is Cacheable

    By default, a response is cacheable if the requirements of the request
    method, request header fields, and the response status indicate that it is
    cacheable. Section 13.4 summarizes these defaults for cacheability. The
    following Cache-Control response directives allow an origin server to
    override the default cacheability of a response:

    public
    Indicates that the response MAY be cached by any cache, even if it would
    normally be non-cacheable or cacheable only within a non- shared cache. (See
    also Authorization, section 14.8, for additional details.)

    private
    Indicates that all or part of the response message is intended for a single
    user and MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache. This allows an origin server
    to state that the specified parts of the
    response are intended for only one user and are not a valid response for
    requests by other users. A private (non-shared) cache MAY cache the
    response.
    Note: This usage of the word private only controls where the response may be
    cached, and cannot ensure the privacy of the message content.

    no-cache
    If the no-cache directive does not specify a field-name, then a cache MUST
    NOT use the response to satisfy a subsequent request without successful
    revalidation with the origin server. This allows an origin server to prevent
    caching even by caches that have been configured to return stale responses
    to client requests.
    If the no-cache directive does specify one or more field-names, then a cache
    MAY use the response to satisfy a subsequent request, subject to any other
    restrictions on caching. However, the specified field-name(s) MUST NOT be
    sent in the response to a subsequent request without successful revalidation
    with the origin server. This allows an origin server to prevent the re-use
    of certain header fields in a response, while still allowing caching of the
    rest of the response.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    Daniel Joskovski, Aug 31, 2004
  6. valko

    valko yotov Guest

    Re: 70-305 question still waiting...

    Hi Daniel,

    I agree completely with you, and franlky I do not care much where the cache
    actually is (cold beer will be much better ;-),
    but unfortunately for me, I will go tomorrow on exam and MSDN is Microsoft's
    opinion on cache, and they have some .NET class called "HttpCacheability"
    with member called "Public":

    and MS's description of it is:

    Sets Cache-Control: public to specify that the response is cacheable
    by clients and shared (proxy) caches.

    see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../frlrfsystemwebhttpcacheabilityclasstopic.asp

    this is my problem - I do not see host server in MS definition there?

    and on exam it counts what MS says, not what standard is ;-)

    valko yotov, Aug 31, 2004
  7. Re: 70-305 question still waiting...

    If you are interesting in such things, don't worry about the exam, I am sure
    you will pass.
    Good luck
> [...]

    > > > Public Sets Cache-Control: public to specify that the response

    is
    > > > cacheable by clients and shared (proxy) caches.
    > > >

    > > > which id equivalent to "Downstream" not to "Any" - we are talking here

    > not
    > > > for version differences 1 to 1.1, but instead for different

    presentation
    > > on
    > > > same stuff:
    > > >
    > > > 1. You use OutputCache Location page directive declaratively
    > > > 2. Or you use Response.Cache HttpCachePolicy's SetCacheability during
    > > > runtime
    > > >
    > > > which still leaves me not answered what is "Any" = Response.Cache
    > > > HttpCachePolicy's SetCacheability?
    > > > because according to books I read "Any" means absolutly all - client,

    > > proxy
    > > > AND host server - I do not see host server option in MSDN article for

    message

    =

    Daniel Joskovski, Sep 3, 2004
  8. valko

    valko Guest

    Re: 70-305 question still waiting...

    thank you Daniel, I pass yesterday with 829 43 questions for 40 minutes, I
    do not had nerves to do it slower ;-)

    good luck :)

    valko, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Re: 70-305 question still waiting...

    Congratulations,
    Like I said before, I am not surprised : )
    Regards,
    Daniel

    "valko" <> wrote in message
    > thank you Daniel, I pass yesterday with 829 43 questions for 40 minutes, I
    > do not had nerves to do it slower ;-)
    >
    > good luck :)
    >
    > "Daniel Joskovski" <> wrote in message
    > > If you are interesting in such things, don't worry about the exam, I am

    > sure
    > > you will pass.
    > > Good luck
    > > Regards,
    > > Daniel
    > > "valko yotov" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Daniel,
    > > >
    > > > I agree completely with you, and franlky I do not care much where the

    > > cache
    > > > actually is (cold beer will be much better ;-),
    > > > but unfortunately for me, I will go tomorrow on exam and MSDN is

    > > Microsoft's
    > > > opinion on cache, and they have some .NET class called

    > "HttpCacheability"
    > > > with member called "Public":
    > > >
    > > > and MS's description of it is:
    > > >
    > > > Sets Cache-Control: public to specify that the response is

    > cacheable
    > > > by clients and shared (proxy) caches.
    > > >

    > > > see

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../frlrfsystemwebhttpcacheabilityclasstopic.asp

    > > > this is my problem - I do not see host server in MS definition there?
    > > >
    > > > and on exam it counts what MS says, not what standard is ;-)
    > > >
    > > > cheers
    > > > Valko
    > > >

    > > > "Daniel Joskovski" <> wrote in

    message