#70-299

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by O.A., Aug 18, 2004.

  1. O.A.

    O.A. Guest

    HI BABIES,

    CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE EXAM FOR 299, HOW MANY
    QUESTIONS IN THE EXAM?

    THANK YOU IN ADVANCED.

    O.A.
    A+, N+, CCNA, SECURITY+, MCSE2003

    O.A., Aug 18, 2004

  2. O.A.

    Jtyc Guest

    > CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE EXAM FOR 299, HOW MANY
    > QUESTIONS IN THE EXAM?

    If you know the material it really does not matter does it?

    Jtyc, Aug 18, 2004

  3. O.A.

    JaR Guest

    O.A. wrote:

    > HI BABIES,
    >
    > CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE EXAM FOR 299, HOW MANY
    > QUESTIONS IN THE EXAM?
    >

    > THANK YOU IN ADVANCED.
    >
    > O.A.
    > A+, N+, CCNA, SECURITY+, MCSE2003

    Oiled Axle?

    JaR, Aug 18, 2004
  4. O.A.

    O.A. Guest

    Exam 70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in a
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network<

    Be sure to check out the Preparation Guide for Exam 70-299
    (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-299.asp)when
    you are preparing for this exam!

    I have to be honest: I really like this exam. Was it easy?
    No. Was it the first Windows Server 2003 MCP exam you
    should take? No. Was it a good exam that covered all of
    the objectives listed and dug deep into some areas that
    you really need to know? Yes, it was. This was not an easy
    exam, not by any means. It was, however, not an impossible
    exam. Some people might compare this one to the "beast" of
    70-216...not that I think 70-216 is a beast in any way,
    but don't think that's a valid comparison. This was a
    tough, but fair, exam.

    In it's beta form, exam 70-299 was known as 71-299. Either
    way you slice it, here are the basic details on this beta
    exam:
    70 questions

    180 minutes for the exam

    50 minutes for post exam review, commenting and survey
    taking
    I would expect these numbers to be cut down to somewhere
    around 50 - 55 questions in about 150 minutes when the
    exam goes live in early 2004.

    My grades for this exam (all on a 1 = Easy to 10 = Whoa
    momma! scale):
    Amount of reading required: 8

    Technical content of the reading: 9

    Difficulty (overall) of the questions: 8

    Number of times you will have to refer back to the reading
    material: 7
    If you've previously taken the 70-293, 70-294 or 70-296
    exams, you've definitely got an advantage in this one as a
    lot of the same material is tested...only with a security
    twist this time around. I would not recommend this exam to
    anyone as an elective until you're nearing the end of your
    MCSE certification path. If you're going to take this
    exam, consider also taking the associated design exam, 70-
    298, as well since there is a great deal content area
    overlap.

    In keeping with their promise, Microsoft has included
    several different question types on this exam, including
    (but not limited to):
    Hot area

    Active screen

    Drag and drop

    Tree building

    Choose one correct answer

    Choose multiple correct answer
    Check out the full details on the question methods that
    Microsoft might use at the
    Frequently Asked Questions and Demos page. Now on with the
    nitty gritty details...

    First, and foremost, let me just say that if it is a new
    security-related feature in Windows Server 2003 then you
    MUST know about it. Second, if you are looking to start
    getting ready for this exam, you should seriously consider
    a few things:
    How much experience do you have in a medium to large
    Active Directory Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003
    network?

    How much experience do you have with performing very
    particular (and minute) configuration changes to Windows
    Server 2003 computers?

    How familiar are you with creating, testing, implementing
    and troubleshooting your own security solution using
    security templates, IPSec and digital certificates?

    How much experience do you have with PKI, Certificate
    Authorities, IPSec, VPNs and high level forest and domain
    security administration and maintenance?
    You absolutely must must must be familiar with Windows
    Server 2003 to have a good chance to pass this exam.

    Now, for some "top areas" that I think you ought to be
    familiar and comfortable with:
    SUS configuration and implementation, including all
    available options for client downloads

    IPSec configuration, including when to use AH and ESP by
    themselves

    IPSec policies

    IPSec modes, tunnel vs. transport

    IPSec authentication

    VPN creation

    RRAS policies, processing order and properties for user
    accounts

    EFS usage on the local computer

    EFS recovery agent design

    EFS usage on remote computers, delegated authority

    Security template creation, usage, importing, exporting,
    troubleshooting, deployment

    Security template areas

    Properties and functions of the preconfigured security
    templates

    Properties and functions of the preconfigured IPSec
    policies

    What is the function and operation of the IPSec default
    response rule

    Multiple user EFS

    Delegation of authority

    IIS authentication methods

    WLAN authentication methods

    WLAN policies and configuration, including RADIUS, 802.1x
    and WEP

    IIS architecture

    Services configuration, security and control

    Stand-alone server and workstation security issues

    Implementing security templates and certificates on stand-
    alone computers

    CA hierarchy, planning, design and implementation

    Custom certificate templates

    Using the CRL and CTL

    Using SMB signing

    Using third-party CA certificates

    When to use specific CAs

    Cross forest trusts

    Securing the SAM from anonymous access

    Auditing (in great detail)

    Configuring NTFS and share permissions

    Controlling Terminal Services access

    Controlling Remote Desktop access

    Securing Remote Desktop access

    Smart Card usage and support

    GPO processing order

    GPO loopback

    Group scopes

    Group types

    Group nesting

    Requirements for group scopes

    Domain functional modes

    Forest functional modes

    SMTP configuration, including relay design

    MBSA usage

    mbsacli.exe usage

    Security Configuration and Analysis usage

    secedit.ext usage

    gpupdate usage

    Netsh for IPSec usage

    Securing DNS zone transfers

    Event Log security and analysis

    IIS logging and analysis

    IIS and SSL

    Using ISA server with SUS

    Scripting patch installation, using the uninstall option

    Using logon and startup scripts

    Publishing and assigning software via GPO
    Overall, I would rate this exam at around 8 out of 10 in
    terms of difficulty. The amount and technical depth of the
    reading was very deep, even for the advanced audience that
    would be taking this exam. This is an exam that you will
    want to do a lot of studying, and more importantly,
    practicing for before you attempt it. It is interesting to
    note that I did find and comment on three problematic
    questions during my exam, two of which had glaring errors
    that should be corrected before this exam sees the light
    of public. If you are going after your MCSE on Windows
    Server 2003: Security, then you will need to pass this
    exam.

    Good luck!

    O.A.
    MCSE2003

    O.A., Aug 18, 2004
  5. O.A.

    Mel Guest

    Hi all,
    I have never been so surprised by an exam as I was by 70-
    299. Although this is stuff I work with a lot, there were
    bits that I wasnt familiar with. I used the MS Press self
    paced training kit (Tony Northrup and Orin Thomas). I
    would recomend this book to anyone thinking of doing this
    exam. The only thing I would add is that you shouldnt
    freak out when you see the practice questions at the end
    of the book. They are way way harder than the exam
    questions. Honestly. I thought I was doomed to fail, but
    found the exam to be no harder than any other exam. The
    questions in the book are mean. If you can get even close
    to 50% right in the book then you will be OK in the exam.
    Having said that, I didnt pass by much 770 (Pass @ 700)
    and I needed all the time for the exam.

    I wasted a lot of time on the half dozen dragon drop
    questions. Only because my test center still has crappy
    15" monitors. I was feeling mean today and had a measure
    tape with me, and a print out of the new VUE test center
    prereqs. Monitors need to be 17" since April 1st. Actually
    you would proberbly need a 21" to be able to see the
    questions properly. I will give VUE their feedback when I
    get the follow up e-mail tomorrow.

    So.. buy the book and be brave :)
    Mel

    Mel, Aug 18, 2004
  6. O.A.

    O.A Guest

    No.

    O.A, Aug 18, 2004
  7. O.A.

    Guest Guest

    Exam Review: 70-299: Implementing and Administering
    Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network
    ==

    With all the talking about Microsoft's security this test
    could not have been released at a better time. When I went
    to take the exam i was surprised bu the many update
    question targeted for administrators. I will give you some
    hints on how to pass this exam, this is not however a
    complete guide. Please note that at the time of this
    writing there were no books on this exam not there were
    practice tests. OK now enough with the talking here are
    the tips and exam details:

    The exam was a rather fair exam, mainly concerned about
    updates and security patches. I took the exam in beta so
    you might want to reduce the numbers of questions and
    allocated time to about 50 questions and 120 minutes.

    Number of questions: 70 questions
    Time allocated: 180 minutes
    Survey time: 50 minutes
    Number of interactive questions i got: 7 questions
    Difficulty: 6 out of 10

    The exam was mostly form based multiple choice, on some
    questions you had to choose multiple answers. And 7 were
    interactive questions including Hot Area Questions, Active
    Screen Questions, Drag and Drop Questions, and Simulation
    Questions.

    ____________________________________
    ******Areas that you MUST know about are:******
    MBSA
    GPO
    SUS
    EFS
    IPSEC
    Audit

    _______________________________________
    ******Other topics that the exam covered included:******
    Company policy and how to cope with it.
    SUS/Firewalls
    Security updates
    Uninstalling patches
    MBSA command-line tool with scripted solutions
    GPO/Security
    Permissions
    Decide which types of groups to use
    Security Policies
    Wireless Security
    EFS groups (Delegation)
    Replication (DNS)
    SSL
    Testing security patches
    Security templates
    Authentication methods properties
    Where to place firewalls?
    GPO/Updates
    Remote Desktop
    Smart Cards/ EAP
    Windows update website
    GPO applying order
    Remote access policies
    Terminal service access policies
    Telnet permissions
    PKI
    CA
    CA Distribution
    Certificate types
    Applying CA

    To help you pass this exam i have included 6 steps you
    should follow:
    *********************

    1)First thing you should do is get the Windows 2003
    evaluation kit from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial
    /evalkit.mspx
    * you will also need Exchange 2003 and Small business
    server:
    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/trial/
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/t
    rial/default.mspx
    * you MUST also get SUS
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
    FamilyId=A7AA96E4-6E41-4F54-972C-
    AE66A4E4BF6C&displaylang=en

    2)Read the exam objectives which are available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/exams/70-299.asp

    3)Check to see which topics in the objective you know and
    which you do not.

    4)Research the ones you know and the pay particular
    attention to the ones you do not.

    5)HAND-ON, I cannot stress enough on this step it will
    mean a pass or a fail on this exam.

    ==

    I hope this was helpful please post any comments on this
    forum or just send me an email or PM.

    I tried to format it so it will look nice in this post :)

    Thank you

    Guest, Aug 18, 2004