70-298 Training Kit & Exam Format

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by danielruddock@googlemail.com, Jul 13, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I just wanted to moan about the 70-298 training kit and exam and to
    see if anyone else out there agrees or disagrees with me.

    I've taken about 10 MS exams before and all of which have been
    supported by very good official training books. However, the official
    training kit for exam 70-298 is the driest, dullest, most poorly
    written and difficult to digest MS training book I've ever come
    across. It is full of rhetorical questions rather than solid training
    material. It would actually make a fantastic reference book for
    someone who wants to secure their network but because it is just full
    of "things to consider" type questions, it just doesn't sit in your
    head very well. I really wish I had purchased the Exam Cram 70-298
    book now as they normally cut out the crap and explain things in
    English.

    The exam "format" I have NO objections to. I totally agree that design
    exams should use the format of case studies followed by some questions
    relating to the case study as this strongly simulates the real world.
    However, I do not agree with the way the test is conducted. The severe
    time pressure is completely unnecessary and actually doesn't give you
    enough time to consider your answer. I know the idea of the exam is
    too filter through all the crap in the case study and find the
    relevant information but in the real world you would not get 23
    minutes to read through a 1,800 word case study, consider and answer
    10 questions. Of course, in the exam you wouldn't read the entire case
    study but because there is so much text to sift through you end up
    with a very small amount of time to actually consider answers to the
    questions. By enforcing such short time constraints on candidates,
    they turn the exam focus away from "security knowledge" and instead to
    the "how good you are at the exam method". This is completely wrong
    and Microsoft should seriously consider how much time they provide
    candidates to do each testlet. Even if each testlet had an extra 5
    minutes, it would still be tough going but an extra 5 minutes would
    make a massive difference. Having to be fantastic at an exam method
    means the gap between examination world and the real world is
    certainly much wider with 70-298. You shouldn't need to train on the
    exam method. As an IT professional you should need to walk into the
    exam and use your knowledge and experience to answer the questions
    presented to you. You really shouldn't need to spend lots of time
    prior to the exam practising the method just because if you don't, no
    matter how shit-hot your knowledge and experience is, your chance of
    passing will have reduced substantially.

    The combination of a poorly written, difficult to digest training book
    and stupid time constraints resulted in my failing of this exam. I
    normally pass them first time. I will be resitting this exam again
    shortly but I will need to do lots of practice on the method seeing
    that this is the "key skill" necessary to pass an MS design exam...
    , Jul 13, 2007

  2. Bed Sores Guest

    <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > means the gap between examination world and the real world is
    > certainly much wider with 70-298. You shouldn't need to train on the
    > exam method. As an IT professional you should need to walk into the
    > exam and use your knowledge and experience to answer the questions
    > presented to you. You really shouldn't need to spend lots of time
    > prior to the exam practising the method just because if you don't, no
    > matter how shit-hot your knowledge and experience is, your chance of
    > passing will have reduced substantially.
    >
    > The combination of a poorly written, difficult to digest training book
    > and stupid time constraints resulted in my failing of this exam. I
    > normally pass them first time. I will be resitting this exam again
    > shortly but I will need to do lots of practice on the method seeing
    > that this is the "key skill" necessary to pass an MS design exam...

    This is my last exam, and I've liked all the Training Kits until this one.
    Very painful book, it actually makes preparation for the test almost
    unbearable. If this were my first exam, I probably would have not gone for
    certification.
    Bed Sores, Jul 16, 2007