70-298 ... my last exam

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Gabe, Jun 2, 2009.

  1. Gabe

    Gabe Guest

    Howdy guys,

    I'm gearing up for my last test for my 2003 MCSE, but its on a topic I do
    not regularly work on in my current job... Most of my clients are small
    networks, like 50 PCs and less... so most of my studies of 2003 server have
    involved stuff that I only do in my little test LANs.

    So, now to the point. As I read my book (using Microsoft book for all my
    studies) would you say there are any particular things to take note of? I
    know that I have to read the whole book and will... but if there are some
    things more important than others... I'll re-read those 2-3 times. lol

    I'm really hoping once I finish this one to move from being a network admin
    to more of a network engineering role, and it won't happen at my current
    employer, so I need to prepare for it and then take a scary plunge into a
    poor job market.

    --
    MCSE since 2000
    Systems Integration

    Gabe, Jun 2, 2009

  2. Gabe

    Chris M Guest

    Gabe wrote:
    > I'm gearing up for my last test for my 2003 MCSE, but its on a topic I do
    > not regularly work on in my current job... Most of my clients are small
    > networks, like 50 PCs and less... so most of my studies of 2003 server have
    > involved stuff that I only do in my little test LANs.

    I wouldn't worry as long as you know your stuff. I took 297 for my
    design exam and I don't think a single one of the scenarios were
    anything like my real-world experience (I've never upgraded a domain
    spanning multiple continents from NT4 to 2003, for example ;-)

    > So, now to the point. As I read my book (using Microsoft book for all my
    > studies) would you say there are any particular things to take note of? I
    > know that I have to read the whole book and will... but if there are some
    > things more important than others... I'll re-read those 2-3 times. lol

    I never looked at 298 but I found the Microsoft Training Kit for 297 to
    be awful, full of typos and incorrect in places. I quite like the
    ExamCram series.

    You may or may notbe aware that the design exams are composed of short
    'testlets' which last around 20 minutes each. I failed 297 once and
    passed the second time. The first time, I found myself running out of
    time very easily on each testlet. The second time, I took some advice
    that I had seen online which was to not bother reading through the
    scenario first and skip straight to the questions. Then, go back and
    skim through the scenario to find the information that is relevant to
    the questions. Quite a lot of the information given in the scenarios can
    be redundant and reading it just wastes time.

    > I'm really hoping once I finish this one to move from being a network admin
    > to more of a network engineering role, and it won't happen at my current
    > employer, so I need to prepare for it and then take a scary plunge into a
    > poor job market.

    Good luck! And remember to register for Second Shot if you intend to
    take (and retake, if necessary) the exam before the 30th of this month!

    Cheers,

    --
    Chris.

    Chris M, Jun 3, 2009