70-297 :-(

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Rob L, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. Rob L

    Rob L Guest

    70-297.

    To look at, it's not much. Just a series of numbers. No meaning, nothing
    really!

    70-297, there I said it again. 70-297 <twitches slightly>. 70-29 bloody 7.
    This exam is driving me insane (not to mention the expense, which I can't
    afford). As you can guess, 70-297 eluded me again today. Is there a
    worldwide quota on the number of passes that M$ allocate for this exam, and
    if so, has it been reached?

    I've now added Sybex's 70-297 study guide (by Brad Price) to my ever growing
    list of prep materials aquired for this exam. This book covered new ground,
    material that was not covered (in depth) by the M$ material, and in general
    I thought, yeah, a good read, with good material.

    So, to recap, thats 2282, Self-paced training kit, Self-test, Measure-Up,
    Sybex 70-297, years of practical (real world) experience and no 70-297 exam
    pass.

    So the quest goes on! I'm starting to ask myself though, is it worth the
    effort. Which I know is negative talk, but hey, I'm coming to the conclusion
    that this exam is more about persistence than anything technical or design
    related.

    70-297, 70-297, 70-297
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry just
    needed to get the primal scream out of my system.

    Better now!

    Rob L, Sep 14, 2007

  2. "Rob L" <> wrote in message
    > 70-297.
    >
    > To look at, it's not much. Just a series of numbers. No meaning, nothing
    > really!
    >
    > 70-297, there I said it again. 70-297 <twitches slightly>. 70-29 bloody 7.
    > This exam is driving me insane (not to mention the expense, which I can't
    > afford). As you can guess, 70-297 eluded me again today. Is there a worldwide
    > quota on the number of passes that M$ allocate for this exam, and if so, has
    > it been reached?
    >
    > I've now added Sybex's 70-297 study guide (by Brad Price) to my ever growing
    > list of prep materials aquired for this exam. This book covered new ground,
    > material that was not covered (in depth) by the M$ material, and in general I
    > thought, yeah, a good read, with good material.
    >
    > So, to recap, thats 2282, Self-paced training kit, Self-test, Measure-Up,
    > Sybex 70-297, years of practical (real world) experience and no 70-297 exam
    > pass.
    >
    > So the quest goes on! I'm starting to ask myself though, is it worth the
    > effort. Which I know is negative talk, but hey, I'm coming to the conclusion
    > that this exam is more about persistence than anything technical or design
    > related.
    >
    > 70-297, 70-297, 70-297
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry just
    > needed to get the primal scream out of my system.
    >
    > Better now!

    Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays. (on a Friday nonetheless)

    Sorry to hear that it's been that difficult for you, I'm sure you're not the
    only person to have dealt with this exam for such an extended period of time
    though.

    I've got an Article written by good friend of mine that I'm hoping will help you
    out. It's not really an instruction on how to pass the (sorry, gotta say it)
    70-297, but more of a 'pep' talk for individuals that get discouraged when they
    fail an exam.

    Please take a minute to read "This MCTs Path to Certification" written and
    lived-out by Mitch Garvis, MCT
    http://www.certguard.com/This-MCTs-Path-to-Certification.asp

    Good Luck on your future studies. Don't give up hope, you'll make it
    eventually!!

    --
    Robert Williams [CertGuard]

    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Sep 14, 2007

  3. Have you tried using the relevant Trancender software to help you with this
    exam?
    Or maybe take 70-298 instead and 297 later?

    Is this the last exam you need for your MCSE?

    Good luck next time...
    --
    Cheerio,
    Lars Petersson

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycyBQZXRlcnNzb24=?=, Sep 14, 2007
  4. Rob L wrote:
    > 70-297.
    >
    > To look at, it's not much. Just a series of numbers. No meaning, nothing
    > really!
    >
    > 70-297, there I said it again. 70-297 <twitches slightly>. 70-29 bloody 7.
    > This exam is driving me insane (not to mention the expense, which I can't
    > afford). As you can guess, 70-297 eluded me again today. Is there a
    > worldwide quota on the number of passes that M$ allocate for this exam, and
    > if so, has it been reached?
    >
    > I've now added Sybex's 70-297 study guide (by Brad Price) to my ever growing
    > list of prep materials aquired for this exam. This book covered new ground,
    > material that was not covered (in depth) by the M$ material, and in general
    > I thought, yeah, a good read, with good material.
    >
    > So, to recap, thats 2282, Self-paced training kit, Self-test, Measure-Up,
    > Sybex 70-297, years of practical (real world) experience and no 70-297 exam
    > pass.
    >
    > So the quest goes on! I'm starting to ask myself though, is it worth the
    > effort. Which I know is negative talk, but hey, I'm coming to the conclusion
    > that this exam is more about persistence than anything technical or design
    > related.
    >
    > 70-297, 70-297, 70-297
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry just
    > needed to get the primal scream out of my system.
    >
    > Better now!

    I had a similar feeling after failing 70-291... I was a tad frustrated.

    Mostly Gizzards, Sep 14, 2007
  5. Rob L

    John R Guest

    "Rob L" <> wrote in message
    > 70-297.
    >
    > To look at, it's not much. Just a series of numbers. No meaning, nothing
    > really!
    >
    > 70-297, there I said it again. 70-297 <twitches slightly>. 70-29 bloody 7.
    > This exam is driving me insane (not to mention the expense, which I can't
    > afford). As you can guess, 70-297 eluded me again today. Is there a
    > worldwide quota on the number of passes that M$ allocate for this exam,
    > and if so, has it been reached?
    >
    > I've now added Sybex's 70-297 study guide (by Brad Price) to my ever
    > growing list of prep materials aquired for this exam. This book covered
    > new ground, material that was not covered (in depth) by the M$ material,
    > and in general I thought, yeah, a good read, with good material.
    >
    > So, to recap, thats 2282, Self-paced training kit, Self-test, Measure-Up,
    > Sybex 70-297, years of practical (real world) experience and no 70-297
    > exam pass.
    >
    > So the quest goes on! I'm starting to ask myself though, is it worth the
    > effort. Which I know is negative talk, but hey, I'm coming to the
    > conclusion that this exam is more about persistence than anything
    > technical or design related.
    >
    > 70-297, 70-297, 70-297
    > aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry just
    > needed to get the primal scream out of my system.
    >
    > Better now!

    Rob,

    First, I am sorry you are having difficulties with this exam. Here is some
    advice I gave Nate in his topic about this exam. I hope it helps...

    You can read the questions first, however the clock is running. The clock
    does not run while questions are being loaded. For example, when you switch
    from one question to another and it is waiting on pulling up a graphic or
    something like that, the clock stops. But as soon as the question is fully
    loaded, the clock starts up again. Personally, I prefer reading the
    questions first as it puts hints in your head of what to look for in the
    interviews.

    Taking notes should be brief and only the most important items. Again, if
    you are taking notes about wins setup, and then there are no wins questions,
    that time is wasted.

    I have not used transcender. I used the MS Press book which I thought was
    pretty good. I also had real life experience behind me. Maybe someone else
    can comment on transcender.

    The only other advise I can offer is pay attention to who says what. Let's
    take a simple example. You have a branch office with 10 people. The IT
    manager says it is imperative that they be able to log in even when the wan
    is down. That would normally mean you are putting a DC there. However, if
    the CEO says that keeping costs to an absolute minimum is of paramount
    importance, then you probably won't put a DC there since the CEO trumps the
    IT manager, and DCs cost money.

    This test is really about what the customer wants, not what you want. If
    the customer wants to keep bind DNS for example, you need to work around
    that using best practice principles, not replace it with Active Directory
    Integrated DNS.

    Pay special attention to the skills listed here because that is what you
    will be expected to know on this exam...

    Good Luck to you.

    John R

    John R, Sep 14, 2007
  6. Rob L

    Rob L Guest

    "Robert Williams [CertGuard]" <Newsgroups@> wrote in message
    > "Rob L" <> wrote in message
    >> 70-297.
    >>
    >> To look at, it's not much. Just a series of numbers. No meaning, nothing
    >> really!
    >>
    >> 70-297, there I said it again. 70-297 <twitches slightly>. 70-29 bloody
    >> 7. This exam is driving me insane (not to mention the expense, which I
    >> can't afford). As you can guess, 70-297 eluded me again today. Is there a
    >> worldwide quota on the number of passes that M$ allocate for this exam,
    >> and if so, has it been reached?
    >>
    >> I've now added Sybex's 70-297 study guide (by Brad Price) to my ever
    >> growing list of prep materials aquired for this exam. This book covered
    >> new ground, material that was not covered (in depth) by the M$ material,
    >> and in general I thought, yeah, a good read, with good material.
    >>
    >> So, to recap, thats 2282, Self-paced training kit, Self-test, Measure-Up,
    >> Sybex 70-297, years of practical (real world) experience and no 70-297
    >> exam pass.
    >>
    >> So the quest goes on! I'm starting to ask myself though, is it worth the
    >> effort. Which I know is negative talk, but hey, I'm coming to the
    >> conclusion that this exam is more about persistence than anything
    >> technical or design related.
    >>
    >> 70-297, 70-297, 70-297
    >> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry
    >> just needed to get the primal scream out of my system.
    >>
    >> Better now!
    >>

    > Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays. (on a Friday nonetheless)
    >
    > Sorry to hear that it's been that difficult for you, I'm sure you're not
    > the only person to have dealt with this exam for such an extended period
    > of time though.
    >
    > I've got an Article written by good friend of mine that I'm hoping will
    > help you out. It's not really an instruction on how to pass the (sorry,
    > gotta say it) 70-297, but more of a 'pep' talk for individuals that get
    > discouraged when they fail an exam.
    >
    > Please take a minute to read "This MCTs Path to Certification" written and
    > lived-out by Mitch Garvis, MCT
    > http://www.certguard.com/This-MCTs-Path-to-Certification.asp
    >
    > Good Luck on your future studies. Don't give up hope, you'll make it
    > eventually!!
    >
    > --
    > Robert Williams [CertGuard]

    Many thanks for the link Robert, and the supportive comments.

    This exam has been getting at me primarily because it seems to be a speed
    test, as well as an examination of knowledge, logic, design and reasoning.
    Without discussing the details of the individual exams, all six previous
    exams (for my MCSE) have focused around product and technical knowledge,
    whereas 70-297 just seems to be a speed test. You'll laugh but I've even
    taken a short speed reading course just to get through the amount of reading
    required !

    And what makes it worse is the fact that all the previous exams were passed
    first time, and I used the same exam build-up routine that I always use when
    dealing with 70-297.

    Still, like I said in the earlier post, maybe this exam is more about
    persistence and perseverance than anything else. Anyway, enough moaning,
    back to studying, there are exams out there that need to be passed!

    regards

    Rob...

    Rob L, Sep 16, 2007
  7. Rob L

    Rob L Guest

    "Lars Petersson" <> wrote in message
    > Have you tried using the relevant Trancender software to help you with
    > this
    > exam?
    > Or maybe take 70-298 instead and 297 later?
    >
    > Is this the last exam you need for your MCSE?
    >
    > Good luck next time...
    > --
    > Cheerio,
    > Lars Petersson
    >

    > "Rob L" wrote:
    >
    >> 70-297.
    >>
    >> To look at, it's not much. Just a series of numbers. No meaning, nothing
    >> really!
    >>
    >> 70-297, there I said it again. 70-297 <twitches slightly>. 70-29 bloody
    >> 7.
    >> This exam is driving me insane (not to mention the expense, which I can't
    >> afford). As you can guess, 70-297 eluded me again today. Is there a
    >> worldwide quota on the number of passes that M$ allocate for this exam,
    >> and
    >> if so, has it been reached?
    >>
    >> I've now added Sybex's 70-297 study guide (by Brad Price) to my ever
    >> growing
    >> list of prep materials aquired for this exam. This book covered new
    >> ground,
    >> material that was not covered (in depth) by the M$ material, and in
    >> general
    >> I thought, yeah, a good read, with good material.
    >>
    >> So, to recap, thats 2282, Self-paced training kit, Self-test, Measure-Up,
    >> Sybex 70-297, years of practical (real world) experience and no 70-297
    >> exam
    >> pass.
    >>
    >> So the quest goes on! I'm starting to ask myself though, is it worth the
    >> effort. Which I know is negative talk, but hey, I'm coming to the
    >> conclusion
    >> that this exam is more about persistence than anything technical or
    >> design
    >> related.
    >>
    >> 70-297, 70-297, 70-297
    >> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry
    >> just
    >> needed to get the primal scream out of my system.
    >>
    >> Better now!

    Lars,

    I have thought about 70-298, but I've got a lot invested in 70-297 so I'm
    gonna continue with it.

    And yes, it is my last exam on the MCSE track. I want to get started on the
    new qualifications MCTS & MCITP, but only once 70-297 is out of the way.

    regards

    Rob...

    Rob L, Sep 16, 2007
  8. Rob L

    Rob L Guest

    "Mostly Gizzards" <> wrote in message
    > Rob L wrote:
    >> 70-297.
    >>
    >> To look at, it's not much. Just a series of numbers. No meaning, nothing
    >> really!
    >>
    >> 70-297, there I said it again. 70-297 <twitches slightly>. 70-29 bloody
    >> 7. This exam is driving me insane (not to mention the expense, which I
    >> can't afford). As you can guess, 70-297 eluded me again today. Is there a
    >> worldwide quota on the number of passes that M$ allocate for this exam,
    >> and if so, has it been reached?
    >>
    >> I've now added Sybex's 70-297 study guide (by Brad Price) to my ever
    >> growing list of prep materials aquired for this exam. This book covered
    >> new ground, material that was not covered (in depth) by the M$ material,
    >> and in general I thought, yeah, a good read, with good material.
    >>
    >> So, to recap, thats 2282, Self-paced training kit, Self-test, Measure-Up,
    >> Sybex 70-297, years of practical (real world) experience and no 70-297
    >> exam pass.
    >>
    >> So the quest goes on! I'm starting to ask myself though, is it worth the
    >> effort. Which I know is negative talk, but hey, I'm coming to the
    >> conclusion that this exam is more about persistence than anything
    >> technical or design related.
    >>
    >> 70-297, 70-297, 70-297
    >> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, sorry
    >> just needed to get the primal scream out of my system.
    >>
    >> Better now!

    > I had a similar feeling after failing 70-291... I was a tad frustrated.

    I think they missed me on the 291 and decided to get me on the 297. What
    goes around, comes around, as they say!

    Rob...

    Rob L, Sep 16, 2007
  9. Rob L

    Rob L Guest

> [...]

    > take a simple example. You have a branch office with 10 people. The IT
    > manager says it is imperative that they be able to log in even when the
    > wan
    > is down. That would normally mean you are putting a DC there. However,
    > if
    > the CEO says that keeping costs to an absolute minimum is of paramount
    > importance, then you probably won't put a DC there since the CEO trumps
    > the
    > IT manager, and DCs cost money.
    >
    > This test is really about what the customer wants, not what you want. If
    > the customer wants to keep bind DNS for example, you need to work around
    > that using best practice principles, not replace it with Active Directory
    > Integrated DNS.
    >
    > Pay special attention to the skills listed here because that is what you
    > will be expected to know on this exam...

    John,

    again, many thanks for the advice. It's always good to hear someone else's
    opinion and thoughts. Believe me, when I say that I've taken all the advice
    given, on-board.

    regards

    Rob...

    Rob L, Sep 16, 2007