70-297 Fail

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Chris M, Nov 19, 2008.

  1. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Took 297 today... failed with 601 :-(

    Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
    with seconds to spare on one of them!

    Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of
    an exam?

    --
    Chris M.
     
    Chris M, Nov 19, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Chris M

    Pete Jones Guest

    I did 298, which follows the same format. I enjoyed it, because it is a good
    reflection of what I encounter when working. I am given a brief, and have to
    make technical recommendations based on the information there.

    Really it is a case of knowing the information well, and being able to pick
    out the relevant points. Things like "some clients are still running Windows
    95/98", or "we have some legacy applications running on an NT4 server", tell
    you that you can't use specific methods, and will have to use (usually) less
    secure ones. If you recommend the more secure, but incompatible ones, some
    clients will not be able to connect, and in the exam as in life, that is an
    epic fail on your part.

    I think the best thing you can do is try and learn all the pitfalls, caveats
    and gotchas when designing AD in relation to NT and 2000, Domain and Forest
    functional levels and FSMO roles.

    Give it a week or so of cramming all that in your head and try again.

    BTW, you did Second Shot, right?
    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging


    "Chris M" wrote:

    >
    > Took 297 today... failed with 601 :-(
    >
    > Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
    > with seconds to spare on one of them!
    >
    > Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of
    > an exam?
    >
    > --
    > Chris M.
    >
     
    Pete Jones, Nov 20, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Chris M

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
    never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser. The
    design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
    forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
    certifications!

    Good luck on your rewrite!

    M
    --
    Mitch Garvis
    Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    http://garvis.ca/blogs

    "Chris M" <> wrote in message
    news:gg1quh$k82$...
    >
    > Took 297 today... failed with 601 :-(
    >
    > Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
    > with seconds to spare on one of them!
    >
    > Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of an
    > exam?
    >
    > --
    > Chris M.
     
    Montreal_MCT, Nov 20, 2008
    #3
  4. Chris M

    Pete Jones Guest

    I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
    people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the site,
    Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I know
    that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.

    If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
    get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.

    But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar to
    what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
    know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
    you unannounced.
    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

    *Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
    experience may vary.

    "Montreal_MCT" wrote:

    > I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
    > never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser. The
    > design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
    > forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
    > certifications!
    >
    > Good luck on your rewrite!
    >
    > M
    > --
    > Mitch Garvis
    > Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    > http://garvis.ca/blogs
    >
    > "Chris M" <> wrote in message
    > news:gg1quh$k82$...
    > >
    > > Took 297 today... failed with 601 :-(
    > >
    > > Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
    > > with seconds to spare on one of them!
    > >
    > > Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of an
    > > exam?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Chris M.

    >
     
    Pete Jones, Nov 20, 2008
    #4
  5. Chris M

    Montreal_MCT Guest

    Good point :) -M

    --
    Mitch Garvis
    Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    http://garvis.ca/blogs

    "Pete Jones" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
    > people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the
    > site,
    > Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I
    > know
    > that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.
    >
    > If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
    > get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.
    >
    > But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar
    > to
    > what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
    > know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
    > you unannounced.
    > --
    > Pete Jones
    > MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging
    >
    > *Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
    > experience may vary.
    >
    > "Montreal_MCT" wrote:
    >
    >> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
    >> never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser.
    >> The
    >> design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
    >> forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
    >> certifications!
    >>
    >> Good luck on your rewrite!
    >>
    >> M
    >> --
    >> Mitch Garvis
    >> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
    >> http://garvis.ca/blogs
    >>
    >> "Chris M" <> wrote in message
    >> news:gg1quh$k82$...
    >> >
    >> > Took 297 today... failed with 601 :-(
    >> >
    >> > Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
    >> > with seconds to spare on one of them!
    >> >
    >> > Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of
    >> > an
    >> > exam?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Chris M.

    >>
     
    Montreal_MCT, Nov 21, 2008
    #5
  6. Chris M

    Guest

    Yeah, it was more the format of the exam that I found rather unnerving
    - and I'm more used to finishing an exam with 30+ minutes to spare.
    During most of the 297 exam I found myself feeling pressured for time
    which in turn made me feel like I wasn't reading the information as
    thoroughly as I should be.

    I wasn't too impressed with the MS Press book for 297 either, and even
    less impressed with the practice exam on the CD-ROM - full of bugs and
    typos on the questions. I think I'll toss that book and get a new one
    before retaking.

    Thanks for the replies, it's always good to get a different
    perspective, it helps you look at your situation from the outside.

    --
    Chris.


    On 21 Nov, 00:40, "Montreal_MCT" <> wrote:
    > Good point :) -M
    >
    > --
    > Mitch Garvis
    > Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutionshttp://garvis.ca/blogs
    >
    > "Pete Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:D...
    >
    > > I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
    > > people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the
    > > site,
    > > Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I
    > > know
    > > that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.

    >
    > > If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
    > > get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.

    >
    > > But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar
    > > to
    > > what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
    > > know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
    > > you unannounced.
    > > --
    > > Pete Jones
    > > MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

    >
    > > *Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
    > > experience may vary.

    >
    > > "Montreal_MCT" wrote:

    >
    > >> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
    > >> never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser.
    > >> The
    > >> design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
    > >> forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
    > >> certifications!

    >
    > >> Good luck on your rewrite!
     
    , Nov 21, 2008
    #6
  7. Chris M

    Guest

    On 20 Nov, 11:54, Pete Jones <>
    wrote:
    > I did 298, which follows the same format. I enjoyed it, because it is a good
    > reflection of what I encounter when working. I am given a brief, and have to
    > make technical recommendations based on the information there.
    >
    > Really it is a case of knowing the information well, and being able to pick
    > out the relevant points. Things like "some clients are still running Windows
    > 95/98", or "we have some legacy applications running on an NT4 server", tell
    > you that you can't use specific methods, and will have to use (usually) less
    > secure ones. If you recommend the more secure, but incompatible ones, some
    > clients will not be able to connect, and in the exam as in life, that is an
    > epicfailon your part.
    >
    > I think the best thing you can do is try and learn all the pitfalls, caveats
    > and gotchas when designing AD in relation to NT and 2000, Domain and Forest
    > functional levels and FSMO roles.
    >
    > Give it a week or so of cramming all that in your head and try again.
    >
    > BTW, you did Second Shot, right?


    Oh, and I did use second shot, but I used it on my previous exam (294)
    which I passed. When booking 297 the second shot voucher would only
    give me a discount, not another second shot. I guess that I'll get
    another second shot when booking my next exam (seems like a way of
    maximising revenue from exam retakes).

    Chris.
     
    , Nov 21, 2008
    #7
  8. Chris M

    Pete Jones Guest

    The point of the time restriction on this one seems to be to push you into
    skimming the brief and seeing if you spot the relevant parts whilst
    discarding the useless information.

    I usually read all the questions first, make a few notes on what is needed,
    then skim the whole brief, note some more things and re-read the parts I
    think are relevant.
    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging


    "" wrote:

    > Yeah, it was more the format of the exam that I found rather unnerving
    > - and I'm more used to finishing an exam with 30+ minutes to spare.
    > During most of the 297 exam I found myself feeling pressured for time
    > which in turn made me feel like I wasn't reading the information as
    > thoroughly as I should be.
    >
    > I wasn't too impressed with the MS Press book for 297 either, and even
    > less impressed with the practice exam on the CD-ROM - full of bugs and
    > typos on the questions. I think I'll toss that book and get a new one
    > before retaking.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies, it's always good to get a different
    > perspective, it helps you look at your situation from the outside.
    >
    > --
    > Chris.
    >
    >
    > On 21 Nov, 00:40, "Montreal_MCT" <> wrote:
    > > Good point :) -M
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mitch Garvis
    > > Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutionshttp://garvis.ca/blogs
    > >
    > > "Pete Jones" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:D...
    > >
    > > > I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
    > > > people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the
    > > > site,
    > > > Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I
    > > > know
    > > > that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.

    > >
    > > > If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
    > > > get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.

    > >
    > > > But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar
    > > > to
    > > > what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
    > > > know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
    > > > you unannounced.
    > > > --
    > > > Pete Jones
    > > > MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

    > >
    > > > *Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
    > > > experience may vary.

    > >
    > > > "Montreal_MCT" wrote:

    > >
    > > >> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
    > > >> never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser.
    > > >> The
    > > >> design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
    > > >> forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
    > > >> certifications!

    > >
    > > >> Good luck on your rewrite!

    >
     
    Pete Jones, Nov 21, 2008
    #8
  9. Chris M

    joppan Guest

    go for sadikhov.com and take the exam,well i have a 2003 server and xp
    virtual machines will i b able to do exercise mentioned in MS pres ttaig
    kit,exepcitng a relpy

    regards

    Joe Joseph,MCSE,CCNA
     
    joppan, Nov 21, 2008
    #9
  10. Chris M

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Montreal_MCT" <> prattled ceaselessly in
    news::

    > I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible...
    > but never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore
    > loser. The design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and
    > am not looking forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would
    > respect the certifications!
    >
    > Good luck on your rewrite!
    >
    > M


    My biggest issue with the Design exam was the lack of a potty break. Made
    the final leg of the exam very uncomfortable. <sigh>

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    www.mcngp.com
    "Definitely not wearing any underwear."
     
    catwalker63, Nov 24, 2008
    #10
  11. Chris M

    Pete Jones Guest

    Not to sound like my mother (and probably yours as well) but..."you should
    have gone before you started, I've told you hundreds of times that <snip>"
    etc.

    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging


    "catwalker63" wrote:

    > "Montreal_MCT" <> prattled ceaselessly in
    > news::
    >
    > > I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible...
    > > but never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore
    > > loser. The design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and
    > > am not looking forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would
    > > respect the certifications!
    > >
    > > Good luck on your rewrite!
    > >
    > > M

    >
    > My biggest issue with the Design exam was the lack of a potty break. Made
    > the final leg of the exam very uncomfortable. <sigh>
    >
    > --
    > Catwalker
    > MCNGP #43
    > www.mcngp.com
    > "Definitely not wearing any underwear."
    >
     
    Pete Jones, Nov 25, 2008
    #11
  12. Chris M

    Pete Jones Guest

    You need to get a new second shot voucher number for each exam you are taking.

    One for 290, another for 291, a third one for 294 etc.

    And you can't combine the 25% discount with the free re-take. You have to
    make a choice between the two.

    Myself, I prefer the re-take to the discount. It's like the choice of
    backups or a cheaper server. Work in IT long enough, you learn the importance
    of backups, even if it costs a little more.
    --
    Pete Jones
    MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging


    "" wrote:

    > On 20 Nov, 11:54, Pete Jones <>
    > wrote:
    > > I did 298, which follows the same format. I enjoyed it, because it is a good
    > > reflection of what I encounter when working. I am given a brief, and have to
    > > make technical recommendations based on the information there.
    > >
    > > Really it is a case of knowing the information well, and being able to pick
    > > out the relevant points. Things like "some clients are still running Windows
    > > 95/98", or "we have some legacy applications running on an NT4 server", tell
    > > you that you can't use specific methods, and will have to use (usually) less
    > > secure ones. If you recommend the more secure, but incompatible ones, some
    > > clients will not be able to connect, and in the exam as in life, that is an
    > > epicfailon your part.
    > >
    > > I think the best thing you can do is try and learn all the pitfalls, caveats
    > > and gotchas when designing AD in relation to NT and 2000, Domain and Forest
    > > functional levels and FSMO roles.
    > >
    > > Give it a week or so of cramming all that in your head and try again.
    > >
    > > BTW, you did Second Shot, right?

    >
    > Oh, and I did use second shot, but I used it on my previous exam (294)
    > which I passed. When booking 297 the second shot voucher would only
    > give me a discount, not another second shot. I guess that I'll get
    > another second shot when booking my next exam (seems like a way of
    > maximising revenue from exam retakes).
    >
    > Chris.
    >
     
    Pete Jones, Nov 25, 2008
    #12
  13. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:
    > You need to get a new second shot voucher number for each exam you are taking.
    >
    > One for 290, another for 291, a third one for 294 etc.
    >
    > And you can't combine the 25% discount with the free re-take. You have to
    > make a choice between the two.
    >
    > Myself, I prefer the re-take to the discount. It's like the choice of
    > backups or a cheaper server. Work in IT long enough, you learn the importance
    > of backups, even if it costs a little more.



    I wasn't aware of that, thanks Peter. I thought that once you had used
    the voucher on an exam and passed it, you had to then use the discount
    for the next exam before getting a new second shot voucher. Serves me
    right for not reading it fully!

    --
    Chris.
     
    Chris M, Nov 26, 2008
    #13
  14. Chris M

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBKb25lcw==?= <>
    prattled ceaselessly in
    news::

    > Not to sound like my mother (and probably yours as well) but..."you
    > should have gone before you started, I've told you hundreds of times
    > that <snip>" etc.
    >


    I did. This is a very long exam, remember.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    www.mcngp.com
    "Definitely not wearing any underwear."
     
    catwalker63, Dec 1, 2008
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Abdul

    Beta exam 70-297

    Abdul, Jul 29, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    975
    Abdul
    Jul 29, 2003
  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    70-297

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Oct 21, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    617
    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=
    Oct 21, 2003
  3. QBob

    70-297 OR 70-298!

    QBob, Sep 24, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    583
    Bill McPherson
    Oct 11, 2005
  4. JP Breton

    70-297 or 70-298

    JP Breton, Jan 6, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,400
    JP Breton
    Jan 6, 2006
  5. Randall
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    425
    Kian Wah, Lai
    Jul 21, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page