    problems to resolve or something similar?
    I prepare to pass these exams, so I will be greatful for your help.

    Andrew
    Andy, Mar 5, 2008

  2. Andy

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Andy,

    There are no simulations on 297 and 298. They are design exams, which will
    give you a number of scenarios with both business and technical issues and
    you will then have a number of questions on the scenario. There are no
    simulations.

    Mitch Garvis, MCT

    http://blog.mitchgarvis.com

    Montreal MCT, Mar 6, 2008

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thx M. :)
    I know it's hard to say if the exam is easy or hard, but what do you think
    about it?
    And :) L'm sorry for my poor english :)

    Andy
    Andy, Mar 6, 2008
  4. Andy

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hmmm... hard :) Good luck though!

    --
    Mitch Garvis, MCT

    http://blog.mitchgarvis.com

    Montreal MCT, Mar 6, 2008
  5. Andy

    John R Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > Thx M. :)
    > I know it's hard to say if the exam is easy or hard, but what do you think
    > about it?
    > And :) L'm sorry for my poor english :)
    >
    > Andy

    I have to agree, I thought 70-297 was certainly challenging from the
    standpoint of you have to be on top of your game to get through it. Many
    people complain about the "clock" aspect of it. You will have several
    "testlets", each one has it's own time slice, and time saved in one testlet
    cannot be shared into other testlets. It can be quite intimidating.
    However, if you can think clearly and you understand the concepts, you will
    find there is (almost) plenty of time. My only advice is to pay attention
    to who says what when reading the interviews. For example, if the CEO says
    something that contradicts what the IT manager says, you must go with the
    CEO (given that it is physically possible). The IT manager might say that
    he wants all users in all locations to be able to authenticate locally, but
    the CEO might say that cost savings in the implementation is a major
    concern. So, if you have a small location with only a few users, you would
    not put a new DC there since DCs cost money and the users can authenticate
    over the WAN. However, if DC class equipment is available at no cost, then
    go ahead and put a DC there to satisfy the IT manager.

    John R
    John R, Mar 6, 2008
  6. Andy

    PedroAsani Guest

    Took my 298 today. Passed, although I didn't like the way it worked.

    You get 34 questions, but they are broken up between several scenarios.

    So you may get 8 questions, then 5, then 9, then 4, then 8. Each section has
    a time limit, and once you finish each section, you can't go back.

    There are no specific topics that I can advise you study, since they cover
    everything with the scenarios.

    And the reason I didn't like it? I would prefer 34 questions, covering the
    range of topics, using a single scenario. You could use one simulation to
    play out the whole exam. It would be more of a real world test.
    PedroAsani, Mar 7, 2008
  7. Andy

    John R Guest

    "PedroAsani" <> wrote in message
    > Took my 298 today. Passed, although I didn't like the way it worked.
    >
    > You get 34 questions, but they are broken up between several scenarios.
    >
    > So you may get 8 questions, then 5, then 9, then 4, then 8. Each section
    > has
    > a time limit, and once you finish each section, you can't go back.
    >
    > There are no specific topics that I can advise you study, since they cover
    > everything with the scenarios.
    >
    > And the reason I didn't like it? I would prefer 34 questions, covering the
    > range of topics, using a single scenario. You could use one simulation to
    > play out the whole exam. It would be more of a real world test.

    Plus, would you impose a 20 minute time limit for someone to design your
    network?

    lol

    John R
    John R, Mar 7, 2008
  8. Andy

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?UGVkcm9Bc2FuaQ==?= <>
    prattled ceaselessly in

    > Took my 298 today. Passed, although I didn't like the way it worked.
    >
    > You get 34 questions, but they are broken up between several
    > scenarios.
    >
    > So you may get 8 questions, then 5, then 9, then 4, then 8. Each
    > section has a time limit, and once you finish each section, you can't
    > go back.
    >
    > There are no specific topics that I can advise you study, since they
    > cover everything with the scenarios.
    >
    > And the reason I didn't like it? I would prefer 34 questions, covering
    > the range of topics, using a single scenario. You could use one
    > simulation to play out the whole exam. It would be more of a real
    > world test.

    More scenarios make you think. This isn't the "real" world. This the
    simulated world. Besides, you may want to become a consultant or project
    manager, in which case you may be working on more than one account at a
    time with totally different requirements and constraints. Testing you on
    one design scenario does not effectively test your ability to recognize
    the important things in any scenario.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Mar 10, 2008
  9. Andy

    ChrisNott Guest

    Hi Andy/Mitch,

    I have taken 70-297 twice now, and failed twice.
    I've done the MS official course, used transcender and preplogic and other
    practice tests which I pass every time. I've read the books till I'm blue in
    the face (english for long and hard!) and I'm happy I understand the material.

    This exam is not about the material, and I'm sure this does not break the
    confidentiallity terms...... There are almost no questions about the design
    process or documents that I remember. It is an exercise in speed reading and
    making snap decisions. I got an average of 3 mins a question to read the
    question, read the scenario and answer the question. There is not enough time
    to make your own notes - even if they provided proper paper instead of that
    horrible laminated stuff that leaves you covered in ink....

    The only option it seems left to me is find out where the pool of questions
    are and practice those until I am fast enough to take the test. To me, that
    completely misses the point of a design exam, since I (with my MCSE NT4 and
    15+years in IT) would not trust someone who said they could design my network
    after a 10 minute review of some notes.

    If anyone has some suggestions how I can get fast enough for this exam, I'd
    love to hear it.

    ChrisNott, Mar 12, 2008
  10. Andy

    ChrisNott Guest

    John R,

    This is the first useful thing I've seen about 70-297. I really struggle
    with the speed issue. Do you have any more gems to help filter the chaff and
    find the important stuff?

    ChrisNott, Mar 12, 2008
  11. > If anyone has some suggestions how I can get fast enough for this exam,
    > I'd
    > love to hear it.
    >
    > "Montreal MCT" wrote:

    I found that reading the questions before reading the supporting materials
    helped me immensely. That might just be me, though.

    MG
    Mostly Gizzards, Mar 12, 2008
  12. Andy

    John R Guest

    "ChrisNott" <> wrote in message

    > The only option it seems left to me is find out where the pool of
    > questions
    > are and practice those until I am fast enough to take the test.

    That is a horrible option Chris. If you do that, not only will you be
    cheating the test, you'll be cheating yourself, and potentially putting your
    current and future certs in jeopardy. You don't want to pass like that.
    You want to know that you can handle any situation, and that you earned what
    you got. Granted, the design tests are intimidating, but believe me, they
    are passable. I am confident that you will find a way.

    John R
    John R, Mar 13, 2008
  13. Andy

    John R Guest

    "ChrisNott" <> wrote in message
    > John R,
    >
    > This is the first useful thing I've seen about 70-297. I really struggle
    > with the speed issue. Do you have any more gems to help filter the chaff
    > and
    > find the important stuff?

    Evelyn Wood Speed Reading ;)

    MG suggested reading the questions first. This is a common practice that
    many people have suggested and used. I did this for a couple of the
    scenarios. When you read the questions, that puts little time bombs in your
    head that go off when you are reading the scenario. The clock does not run
    while switching between the questions and while graphics are loading, but it
    does run while you are reading.

    Mostly however, this test (IMHO) is all about confidence. That is what I
    meant earlier about being on top of your game. You have to know DNS, WINS,
    GPOs, replication, trusts, domain models, etc to the point where you can
    make quick decisions. And it isn't about what you want to do, or what
    Microsoft wants you to do, it is about what the CUSTOMER wants you to do.
    If the customer says they want to keep their existing BIND DNS, then guess
    what? You're keeping it. Now, what do you need to do to accommodate that?
    If the CEO says keep costs down, don't be deploying two DCs, two DNS, two
    WINS, two DHCP, and two RRAS servers in each site. If the CEO says network
    performance is the paramount issue, what does that mean to server
    deployment? After all, the CEO is paying you to do what he wants.

    I found myself sketching out the domains and OUs while I was reading the
    scenario, marking DNS, DHCP, etc for each site, blocking out domains, etc.
    I also made highlight suggestions, i.e. CEO: Costs, IT Mgr: Network
    Security, IT Staff: GPO Software Deployment, etc. This helped me sort
    through the questions a little quicker. Some people would say there is no
    time for that, but I think the time spent doing it was better spent than
    re-reading the scenario searching for an answer for three questions. On one
    scenario, I literally had 2 seconds left.

    Best of luck to you.

    John R
    John R, Mar 13, 2008
  14. Andy

    ChrisNott Guest

    Thanks guys for your replies.

    Agreed! I won't to pass that way - and i don't know how anyone could prove
    you did. My point was that for me, being a particularly slow reader (slow,
    not dim) I struggle to read the questions and scenarios (I've tried it both
    ways) and still have time to actually answer the questions never mind making
    any notes to help my decision making.
    To me, and I've seen one or two others viewing the same opinion, a design
    exam shouldn't have the same pressure of time that some of the other exam
    types might have. personally I'd be veryscared of an "MCSE" who said they
    could design my network after a 20 minute interview....

    I would still keep trying, but if anyone can suggest a way to get faster I'm
    still listening.

    chris

    ChrisNott, Mar 18, 2008
  15. Andy

    ChrisNott Guest

    Thanks Mostly,

    I tried that way too........It gave me more time, but I think I missed more
    of the important stuff than doing it the other way round.....

    Chris

    ChrisNott, Mar 18, 2008
  16. Andy

    Montreal Guest

    Sorry to bother you guys im new in montreal and wondering where i can do MCSE
    exams and decent price as well .

    please email me if you could

    cheers
    Montreal, Mar 26, 2008
  17. Andy

    Jtyc Guest

    http://www.2test.com
    Jtyc, Mar 26, 2008
  18. Andy

    Darrin Guest

    Hi All,
    I plan to take this 297 exam soon.
    And I am just wondering about the "reading the questions first" technique;
    Does the test allow you to read ALL the questions related to the current
    scenario, eg. move forwards and backwards through the questions.
    My concern is that, I select "next" to the last question* and the test
    starts the next scenario, without me having answered any of the questions
    from the previous scenario.

    Hope this question makes sense.

    thx Darrin

    *ps. Are you able to tell if you are on the last question in a
    scenario/section?

    Darrin, May 7, 2008