70-296

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Henry, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    I failed the 70-296 exam on Sunday but I am resitting it tomorrow.

    I have two question that relate to two of the drag and drop questions
    in the exam.

    Q1.

    If I need to rename a domain controller; Do I need to increase the
    domain functional level to Windows 2003? (Pretty sure) Do I need to
    increase the functional level on the FOREST to Windows 2003 as well?

    I have done some research and haven't been able to come up with an
    answer.

    Q2. If I need to create a forest trust, do I need to increase DOMAIN
    function level or FOREST function level, or both to Windows 2003.

    Any help would be most appriciated, I think I have got the rest of the
    questions figured out.

    Regards

    Henry, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Henry

    Jason Guest

    Henry,
    Q1: No, you dont need to increase the Domain function level to
    rename a "Domain Controller". The only reason to raise the Domain
    function level is to rename a "Domain".

    Q2: To create a Transitive Forest Trust you needs to have the
    Forest level at 2003. To get the Forest level to 2003 ALL Domain
    Controlers must be running 2003. However, that does not mean that all
    Domains must be running at 2003 level, they can in fact be at the 2000
    level. (Yes, kinda confusing.. sorry..)

    I hope this helps.

    -Jason

    Jason, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Thats all very interesting, but back to the questions!
    (I an in London and I booked yesterday for the 17th of Dec. with no problems)
    Henry, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Henry

    JK Guest

    To create a forest trust relationship, both forests must be in Windows 2003
    functional level. For this functional level, all domains must be in Windows
    2003 functional level which requires that all domain controllers are running
    Windows 2003 Server. If you upgrade all domain controllers to 2003 then
    raising the functional level of the forest will automatically raise the
    functional level of the domains. If the DCs aren't 2003, this can't happen.

    JK

    JK, Dec 17, 2003